Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Knopfler
Germany
Kiel
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hi folks,

I just played WoW with two of my friends a week ago (one of em played two characters).
Both of em are... lets say advanced boardgamers.
It took us about 5 or 6 hours to finish and that is, although acceptable for a great game that it is, a bit too long for my other I-dont-play-regularly-very-long-and-complex-games-friends.
So the first idea that came to my mind to speed things up, was to increase the movement steps one char can take per action turn. E.g. three instead of two.
Though simple, this could maybe help with some problems a lot of people wrote here about.

For example:

1. Quests: Time is an important factor in this game. Some say that the quests are unbalanced. We had the same impression. The "grey"-quests were closer to the starting points of each faction and gave only a few less XP. By increasing the movement, the harder quests that lie further away become more attractive because they are easier to reach than before.

2. PVP: The thread of being attacked by the other faction becomes more imminent and less predictably. That way there maybe could be more interaction.

3. Risk: One could risk more by attacking alone, because the distance one had to travel after death became relatively shorter.

Of course, if you increase movement, you also increase the rate of gaining XP. So the bossfight at the end will become easier. But one could modify the stats to prevent that it becomes too easy.

Or...

4. Speed (optional): Decrease the number of total turns, so that the boss fight becomes harder again, and the game ends earlier.

I am going to try this, maybe some other will too and write what they experienced (balance-technically).

Please write any comments on what you think about this idea =)
Happy New Year soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Taatgen
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Increasing speed is an interesting idea, but maybe it is a good idea to figure out what the big time sinks are. I my experience, but others might have different experience, a lot of time (at least subjective time) is taken up by updating characters after they have leveled (including figuring out what the best training options are), and then also putting down the new quest and its associated monsters. Part of the excitement of the game is that characters continuously improve, but you are a novice player this is hard to track, because just after you found this cool new item or this new skill, it is already replaced by another, even better skill. Once you get to know a characcter better you will know what motions to go through, but otherwise you have to fo through you character sheet again and again and read all the cards, etc.
From this viewpoint it might even better to slow down the game instead of speed it up. One could think of a variant where achieving a higher level requires twice the number of XP, and where during the course of the game you gain, say, two levels. This would require some major restructering of things, but it might make an interesting variant. Instead of beating one of the overlords, the goal could be to beat on of the mini-bosses for characters starting at level 1. Alternatively, characters start midway level 2, and have to beat the overlord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Increasing the distance moved will not reduce the amount of time it takes to play, it will actually increase it as more actions will become possible in the game resulting in a longer game.

A few alternative ways of speeding up the game:

Level up and place quests during the opposing factions turn. Actual monsters are not placed on the board until the end of the turn.

Turn off PvP. Like in the on-line game turn off PvP so characters cannot interact. This would allow factions to take simultaneous turns. Simply do not draw any event cards and do not allow characters to challenge each other. Move the turn marker on two steps at the end of both faction turns. Draw new quests at the end of the turn (to prevent blue creatures spawning in the middle of the turn).

Start at level two. Place the starting quests normally then replace the four grey quests (removing the red/green quest creatures) with your choice of four additional quests. Allow each player to have ten gold and select one triangle item from two drawn. Players cannot take a market action on the first turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some thoughts on how to shave time off the game:

Start players at level 2 on turn 6 with appropriate level 2 skills.
Give players extra 6-9 gold to upgrade to level 2 skills.
Player characters start their XP points on the level two slot.
Flip over starting gray quests and spawn ONLY the blue monsters.
Players then start with all green quests.

This should shave off the first 45 minutes or so. You could theoretically start players at level 3 on turn 12 or so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith Owens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I love the game, but it really is too slow - I typically have a 4 hour slot on a Friday Night (8 p.m. - 1.00 a.m. with an hour for the pub heh heh), and we have only managed to play one game to completion, which is a shame as I like many of the mechanics. So my son and I sat down to analyse where we could cut down time without cutting the fun, and came up with the following which we intend to try next week - feel free to make whatever use you want of this.

Four areas will be amended, quest selection, turn phases, creature experience, and pvp combat.

Quest Selection:

At start of the game draw following quest cards from both the horde and alliance packs at random and set up the creatures as per the cards. (Note that all quests available to both sides)

4 Grey
4 Green
3 Gold
3 Red

If you don't have enough creatures for a quest, discard it and draw another of same colour and type (horde/alliance)

Check the lvl 1 quests, and remove any blue creature placed in the same quest area.

No further quests are drawn until a red quest is completed, when it should be replaced. I repeat, all quests can be done by either side, and in any order.

Turn phases:

Drop action points -not required

Three phases -

1. rest (amount of recovery depends on whether in town or not)
2. In any order:
Train (if in town)
Buy/sell (if in town)
Equip
Travel (up to four areas, flight counts as 2)
3. Challenge (plus invites)

Travel follows usual rules - i.e. can't travel through blue or opposing forces

Blue creature experience:

Parties get XP for killing blue creatures - if creature is in first row of creature card they get 1XP, 2Xp for second row etc. So for killing a blue Naga the party gets 3 Xp. Xp does not depend on level of party

PVP combat:

We like fast combat, but don't like losing ranged combat effect, so we will try the following
2 phases

a. both sides roll blue and green dice, record damage and shields as usual.
b. rerolls and specials can be used on dice, btu no die can be changed into a red die.
c. resolve combat - a number of damage points is removed equal to opponents shields removed
d. remaining damage points cause damage - 1 hit for every counter removed. Any caharacter killed takes no further part in combat

Second phase

a. both sides roll red dice, record damage as usual.
b. rerolls and specials can be used on dice (even if used in first phase), but no die can be changed into a blue or green die.
c. Add attrition - move counters except shields into damage box.
c. resolve combat - a number of damage points is removed equal to opponents shields removed
d. remaining damage points cause damage - 1 hit for every counter removed

Surviving character on winning side gets all items in defeated characters bags.

Let me know if you try any of the above suggestions, and I will get back with my experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puychaud wrote:
Travel follows usual rules - i.e. can't travel through blue or opposing forces

In the usual rules you can travel through spaces containing opposing forces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.