Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd read about this slimmed down Axis & Allies type game and it looked interesting, so we gave it a try. The rules are very minimal. There are two combat boards, which basically establish a rock paper scissors system for the different units. Artillery kills planes, planes kill tanks, tanks kill infantry, infantry kills artillery, etc.

The game board itself is a map of Europe divided into regions - standard stuff. Most of the regions have a production number. Each turn a player can produce a number of units in each region equal to its production number. All units have the same cost. So yes, you can choose between an infantry unit or a battleship. Odd, but simple.

Combat is fairly straightforward. Each player rolls a D10 which determines initiative and total kills. Then players take turns on the combat boards removing one unit at a time. The player with the most units remaining wins the region. The game continues until one player has reached a certain total of production points.

That's really about all there is to the game. It's extremely streamlined and simple. This is good and bad. For me, mostly bad. It feels like Axis & Allies with all the fun taken out. The combat system is elegant and works well, but it's not a whole lot of fun. There's not much else to the game except the combat system.

Our game went back and forth for about 2 hours with the Axis and Allies alternately losing and capturing the same territories and we finally decided to call the game. There was probably a good hour or two left in the game before the built in game clock would have ended it.

The game would be OK if it were one hour, but I would still choose Memoir 44 instead. At 2 to 4 hours, there just isn't enough substance to justify this game's existence. I'd rather play Mare Nostrum in the 2 hour range and Axis & Allies in the 4 hour range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.