Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard D
Canada
Bonnyville
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night a couple of friends (they co-commanded the Austro-Russian alliance - it only seemed right!) and I gave AoN a go for the 1st time. We quite enjoyed the game, however we all agreed that the rules are not as straight forward, or as clear as they could be at times.
Anyway . . . we had a number of questions which arose during the course of play. Here's one of them for starters:

How are new Corps choosen from the reserve pool when you are reinforcing your army?

We settled on doing a random, blind draw out of a cup when selecting new reinforcement Corps. Otherwise it didn't seen very realistic that you would be putting all of your best Corps(Leaders) into play before you're forced to use Corps of lesser and lesser quality (well, who wouldn't want all their best troops available!). In any case, I couldn't find anything in the rules (L.R. v1.25) which addressed this situation. Did I miss something in the rules, or is this something that is left up in the air for players to decide on their own? A clear directive in this regard would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any answers/help that you can provide in this regard.

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, you can select any available corps from the reserve. The reason for not selecting only the best corps is that you need cannon fodder: you need troops that can take the hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard D
Canada
Bonnyville
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that makes perfectly good sense; good-ole "Cannon Fodder." However, maybe it should be stated a little clearer in the rules how you do go about chosing Corps from your reserve pool, it is very vague to say the least. Thank-you.
Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree; I seem to recall from the FAQ/Q&A that the players choose which corps to bring in. Many games which have variable unit qualities use a "blind draw" mechanic for replacents (egs: Hammer of the Scots, Freikorps, Soldier Kings); I see no reason why you couldn't apply it here as an option if you wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard D
Canada
Bonnyville
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An AoN F.A.Q. has now been mentioned in several of the posts that I have read recently, however, I have as of yet been unable to locate it. Would someone be able to point me in the right direction? Thank-you.

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
There's no FAQ because FAQs are not practical. I include all responses in the living rules. The answer to your question is that you get to choose whoever you want to. And yes you do need cannon fodder, but in truth overall French quality declined over the years. So I'm happy with the way it works. Now, should it be specified in the rules? My take is (was?) that if the rules don't say you have to choose randomly, then it means you are free to choose whoever is available. In any case, I added it to the 2nd edition rules I'm working on. Please do share your other questions, so I can address them in similar fashion.

I will welcome whoever wants to proofread the rules once I am done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
The living rules help, but if you want to stay on top of the many questions that come up regarding the rules to this game, I strongly recommend that you add Renaud Verlaque to your geek buddies list where you can track the answers he regularly provides to questions posted here and elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.