Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Collins
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im no painter other then an occasional model, but I have already painted 4 of my descent guys with regular testers paint from fred meyer. the first one didnt turn out so well because I didnt have a proper brush, but i went to a hobby store and bought a $5.00 really fine point brush, and the other three turned out awesome.

~ Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
here is a good place to start,look over the on the left for articles.

http://www.paintingclinic.com/

i taught myself to paint by reading articles and web sites, so it is possible to become a good painter with web help. heres some of my work.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v63/jeremycobert/praetorian/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Holmstrom
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a long-time mini painter this is my suggestion(and my current project as well).
Buy a can of matte black spray paint for priming the minis.
Prime the monster minis first---starting with the skeletons or beast men so you get the hang of painting them before going to more elaborate minis such as characters and big monsters.
Prime the first group(skeleton archers) of minis in a well-vented area---spray them down so they are all black.
Once dry---do the following.
Have at the minimum a pot of "Bleached Bone",and any brown acrylic paint. I use citadel and vallejo paints, but any acrylic paint will do. I suggest you invest in a variety of paints bought at a local hobby store, or an online purveyor. Make sure you get all of the primary colors, as well as white and black.
You will also need a very fine brush---this is for detail. A couple of other small brushes as well.
Have a jar of water on hand and some paper towels.
First, take one of your smaller brushes and barely dip it in the Bleached bone paint. Now wipe the brush back and forth on a paper towel until almost all of the paint is off the brush---wipe it on your thumb too to check----just a little paint should come off.
Now, take the brush and wipe back and forth on the bone parts of the mini---you should see that the paint adheres to the raised portions, while the sunken-in areas are not affected. This technique is called dry brushing. Dry brushing allows you to give depth to a mini, without the fuss of "inking"/staining it with a darker color first and then carefully touching it up.
Do this to all the "bone" areas and the skull. Add layers of paint to the areas to get more color on the mini.
You can use this technique with different parts of the mini. I used a dark brown for the armor and a gray-green for the tunic. Light brown for the boots and bow. Red leather for the quiver and red for the skull symbol on the skeleton's skull.
Hope this helps some----there are lots of tips for painting online.

Good luck!

Dale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another excellent resource for minis painting:
http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?s=e95b5dc2febb1731...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Holmström
Sweden
Uppsala
Uppland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one tip before you start painting!

Most plastic figures that come with these types of games are coated with something that makes them shine. It's the soft plastic types fault! The Dungeons & Dragons the boardgame had this type of plastic and it feels like Descent has it too. I know DOOM does.

Anyway! It might be a good idea to wash the figures with soap before you start painting them. After you've washed them, go and buy some Spray undercoat paint. Games Workshop have nice undercoat spray. Black is the best, unless you are going to paint alot of yellow, or bright red. Then spray them all black.

After that, you are ready to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.