Subject: Relaying track & track orientation questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Lewis
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I bought this game yesterday and had a run through that threw up heaps of questions. Thanks to all the replies here I've answered most of them but I'm still unsure about track relaying:

If I've by-passed a city and later want to connect to it can I relay that tile (ie replace a tile in the middle of a link)? If so at what cost?

Also, is any connection into a city valid, ie can I use a cross track and turn at right angles into a city or do I need to use a curve?

Finally can I use a two-track tile and leave one track open at the end of the 3 rounds (I think I can but just wanted to check)?

PS - How do recommend marking track ownership, I'm thinking a train on the start and finish tiles would be best, especially around the crowded NE?

Cheers

Martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time you can change a tile is when it's the last one in an incomplete link. However, anybody (not just you) can cross an existing track using one of the crossover pieces. The original track can't change direction so not every permutation is possible. If you cross a track, you pay the normal cost for the space as if the other track wasn't there, and swap in the appropriate crossing tile. The tracks that cross are otherwise totally separate and ownership is distinct.

The cross tracks cannot be used as "Y" intersections. I'm not sure I understand your second question.

No, you can never use a two-track tile except to cross another existing track. You cannot leave one track open.

I usually put the train in the middle of the link to mark ownership, unless there's a crossing tile there.

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
idjit dragon wrote:
Also, is any connection into a city valid, ie can I use a cross track and turn at right angles into a city or do I need to use a curve?

No you cannot. It is impossible for trains to turn straight angles. You only have two types of track available: a straight and a soft curve.

Quote:
Finally can I use a two-track tile and leave one track open at the end of the 3 rounds (I think I can but just wanted to check)?

No, you cannot place a two-track tile on a vacant hex. You can only place ONE LINK (of up to 4 tiles) which MUST be one single continuous line. Two-track tiles can only be used to upgrade a hex with existing track when you want cross that existing track. So one track of the tile is already in the hex and you just add the second track.

Quote:
PS - How do recommend marking track ownership, I'm thinking a train on the start and finish tiles would be best, especially around the crowded NE?

You can do whatever you prefer. The convention used by publisher, designers and most players is to place a single locomotive on each link. Most often placed on the central hex of the link, but that depends on the layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.