Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I am newer to the Eupopean Board Game world and played a handful of games such as

Settlers
Ticket to Ride
Carcasonne
Ingenious
Blockus

I am enthusiastic enough about this new world that I would classify myself as a gamer. However many friends and relatives I play with may not have a lot of patience for complex games.

Is this game only for serious gamers and is it really hard to get started with playing this game and enjoying it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Considering your 'background' you would find E&T a tough nut to crack. You definitely need to think a lot harder about your actions; you would also need to get used to the idea of having multiple actions at your disposal---and that those actions must be strung together to form a meaningful strategy. It is not unlike chess in that regard, although chess offers more 'actions'.

It would also depend on enthusiasm and persistence. You will not 'get' E&T after just one game, although you should be able to understand most concepts after at most three. That means that the people you play against may actually turn out to be the limiting factor, and in that regard you can classify it as a 'gamer's game'. If you are worried about seeing a lot of money go to waste, you might want to try the derived cardgame version first. It captures quite a lot of the feel of the boardgame, but is simpler to spot strategies. It also plays more quickly. Or you can try the electronic version of the boardgame available from this site.

This is really the best answer I can give you. When you're just beginning, you need to figure out a lot about what you do and do not like. It is very well possible that you absolutely hate games in the top-10... (To take myself as an example: I consider the current no. 1 'above average', no. 5 'soso', and I wouldn't touch no. 8 with a pole.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't even tried to teach non-gamers T&E. The rules are complicated compared to most other games. Even after you've learned the rules, to really enjoy it I think you'd have to enjoy putting in the effort to plan out your conflicts and their aftermaths very carefully. This kind of work isn't for everybody.

I'd advise you to play a game or two on BGG or BSW. Then you can decide for yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A gamer's game. Given the list of games you provided, it is a good step or two above those games in terms of brain-burningness!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I haven't even tried to teach non-gamers T&E.

I've taught T&E to people who've never played a eurogame and was met with pretty good success. Their aren't actually many rules - the actions one can take and the object of the game are pretty straight forward when framed properly.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My father picked up Tigris and Euphrates in half a game and went on to win against my friend (also new to the game) and me (played 2 games). I wouldn't call him a gamer, but he has played quite a few games over the years (and he taught me chess). On the other hand my friend, who also isn't a gamer but does play games occasionally, had a lot of difficulty grasping the game and finished last by quite a way.

So I guess it depends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I'm afraid I have to disagree with my good friend Senor Monin on this point. E&T has quite a lot of "well, I might understand the rules and the goal, but I have no idea how to attain the goal." This part is very bad for new gamers. When playing with non-gamers, each new positive experience potentially takes them one step closer to being a gamer. However, many times a single bad experience will result in several steps backwards, as we tend to avoid negative experiences and we also tend to remember them moreso than the positive ones...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.