Subject: Van00uber's acquired taste reviews #1: A Night at the Dogs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
Read my blog
In this series of reviews, I will look at games which are unloved, unappreciated or unknown to most board gamers. because some game simply don't get the love that they deserve.

I originally ordered this game as a bit of a joke for my local board game group. But after playing it, I can honestly see it becoming one of our regular games.
It is a fairly light game; the rules are easy to pick up and setup doesn't take long. There are six dogs, each with different odds, ranging from 1-1 to 6-1. There is a race deck and a form deck; at the start of the round each of the dogs is allocated a form randomly and players are free to bet on two of the six dogs. The race is then decided by turning over one card at a time from the race deck until one of the dogs crosses the finish line.

The strategy to win this game is achieved in the following ways:
1) each dog has a different number of cards in the race deck. E.g. The dog with 6-1 odds has the least amount of movement cards in the race deck.
2) study the forms, dogs with poor form do not move on certain turns and are an likely to win the round.
3) dogs that have already won a round are less likely to win other rounds, as there are several balancing cards in the race deck. E.g. Dogs that have not yet won move forward three spaces.
4) cards that are used in a race are shuffled and added to the bottom of the deck, if one of the dogs had an extraordinary amount of movement cards in one round, there will be less movement cards left in the deck for the following round.
5) don't be afraid to bet on the highere odds, winning at 6-1 is as good as winning several round with lesser odds

- races are supprisingly exiting, and winners are often unexpected.
- you can pick this game up for very little, mine cost £3.
- the dogs have hilarious names.
- its dog racing!

- the betting chips are triangular, and honestly quite awkward.
- the quality of the board and the pieces is quite poor.

My Verdict: 6/10

Why 6/10? Because the game is light hearted, easily accessible, and very fun. You can play with 2-8 players, and can choose the length of the game by choosing the number of rounds that you play. This game genuinely gets people exited in a way that other games can't. I strongly recommend that everybody buys a copy of this game for their collection.

Click here to see my acquired taste reviews

Click here to see my session reports
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.