Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently saw the comments on the Wheel of Time series and it got me to thinking that I need to read a fantasy novel. I've been reading textbooks (mainly history) for the last year, and though I begin work on my thesis this next semester I will have time for "fun" reading in between all of the research and writing.

Here's a taste of what I've read:

Lord of the Rings
A Song of Fire and Ice (not the latest one, though)
The Recluce Series (all but the latest one; I think there have been 10-12 of these)
The Wheel of Time series (stopped at book nine)

~plus around several hundred (perhaps even several thousand or more in 38 years...I've lost track!) other works, or parts of series, from sci-fi to fantasy, written from the early 20th century through 2000.

What I'm looking for is either one book or a series from an author which has been written in the last five years. You folks have helped me pick out some great games in the last 18 months, so I thought I'd find out what kind of books you might be able to suggest.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recommend the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. The third book was written in 2000.

The target audience is young adults but like the Harry Potter series anyone regardless of age can enjoy this. Though I would say that this trilogy is more mature.

A relatively safe bet in my opinion unless the content itself happens to offend the reader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shannon Hale's work is supposedly for young adults, but it holds up just fine for this not-so-young adult. The Goose Girl is very good. I haven't read Princess Academy yet, but I intend to.

I've also been recommending the work of Sean Russell. Some of his stuff is older, mid- to late-90s. But The Swans' War series (The One Kingdom and The Isle of Battle) is more recent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... checking things I've read an enjoyed recently, they're mostly older than that.

I'll second Philip Pullman, and I think Tad Williams' "War of the Flowers" is recent enough to meet your criteria.

If you don't mind a couple of older names that you didn't mention in the intro, Robin Hobb's "Liveship Traders" has lots of atmosphere and an interesting premise (I'm reluctant to say "twist", it seemed moderately obvious me quite a while before she explicitly revealed it, and I get the feeling it was intentional for the reader to be able to do that). I'm also a big fan of Guy Gavriel Kay - the "Fionavar Tapestry" has a lot of stock fantasy elements, but wonderfully woven together (pardon the pun) with some marvellous set pieces, and his later semi-historical stuff is very evocative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Id suggest Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga. Great Stuff, and its not the usual sword and sorcery style book. Also a big suggestion would be the Conan novels by Robert E Howard(not any of that knockoff crap), they just released a few collections. Coming of Conan, Bloody Crown of Conan, and Conquering Sword of Conan. Conan is near and dear to my heart, as well as REH's other characters such as Kull, Bran Mak Morn, Cormac Mac Art, and Solomon Kane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
tim-pelican wrote:
Hmm... checking things I've read an enjoyed recently, they're mostly older than that.

I'll second Philip Pullman, and I think Tad Williams' "War of the Flowers" is recent enough to meet your criteria.

If you don't mind a couple of older names that you didn't mention in the intro, Robin Hobb's "Liveship Traders" has lots of atmosphere and an interesting premise (I'm reluctant to say "twist", it seemed moderately obvious me quite a while before she explicitly revealed it, and I get the feeling it was intentional for the reader to be able to do that). I'm also a big fan of Guy Gavriel Kay - the "Fionavar Tapestry" has a lot of stock fantasy elements, but wonderfully woven together (pardon the pun) with some marvellous set pieces, and his later semi-historical stuff is very evocative.

I'll third Pullman - it's an excellent series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.