Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had this idea for a short game I'ld like to share. This is not a short game I'm running anytime soon, but might run in the future. Just looking for feedback right now, and if anyone else wants to run it feel free.

The Theme

You are all self-aware cogs in a really big machine. Recently some shape-shifting gremlins have snuck into the machine and are breaking bit. Unfortunately a few cogs agree with the gremlins and want to see the whole machine crumble. It is your duty to work with the good cogs and stop this from happening before it's too late.

The Rules

The rules tend to follow traditional short game WW, but with a twist. This is an 11 player game with standard secret roles of 2 WWs, a sorceror (who sees the seer or the priest), a cobbler, a seer, a priest (who learns all roles privately after they die), a hunter, and 4 villagers. The twist is everyone also has a public role (what their part in the machine is) which influences the rules of the game, and as parts are destroyed (players lynched or killed), privaleges and abilities are removed from the game.

The public roles are all randomly determined, and they are:
Right Lens - when you die, the seer/sorceror/and priest get negative 1/3 chance of gaining information (cumulative with left lens)
Left Lens - when you die, the seer/sorceror/and priest get negative 1/3 chance of gaining information (cumulative with right lens)
Lynchpin - Information about lynched victims is revealed publically
Lightbulb - Information about WW kills is revealed publically
Magnet - Public revealed information is about target's side (good/evil)
Geiger Counter - Public revealed information is about target's strength
Powerful:WW or hunter
Medium: seer, sorceror, or priest
Weak: Cobbler or Villager
Ethernet cable - Players may send 2 PMs to each other while he is in play (cumulative with Telegraph wire)
Telegraph wire - Players may send 1 PM to each other while he is in play (cumulative with Ethernet cable)
Toggle - Players may unvote and use conditional votes while he is in play
Lubricant - 1/2 the vote total is carried over to the next day after he dies
Spare Part - takes the public role of the first player to die

So how do roles that work together work?

If the Right & Left lens are in play, the Sorceror, Seer, and Priest get their information 100% of the time. If one of the lenses dies, then they get their information 4/6th of the time, or are told they get no information. If both lenses die, they get their information 2/6th of the time. This does not affect public reveals.

The Lynchpin, Lightbulb, Magnet, and Geiger Counter all deal with public revealing of private roles when people die. Their death does not affect the information gained by the sorceror, seer, or priest. If the lynchpin leaves the game, you do not learn the roles of people lynched. If the lightbulb leaves the game, you do not learn the roles of people killed by werewolves. So if both roles leave the game, their is no more public reveal. Conversely, the magnet reveals if a role is good or bad. If he dies, this information is no longer supplied with public reveals. The geiger counter gives a relative strength of the role (listd above). So if both roles are removed from game, again you have a case where there are no more public reveals.

As long as the Ethernet Cable and Telegraph Wire are in play, anyone can PM anyone else 3 times a day. If the Ethernet Cable dies, then players can only PM each other once a day. If the Telegraph Wire dies, then players can PM each other twice a day. If both die, players can no longer PM each other. This does not affect the Gremlins (WWs), as they talk telepathically, unlimited PMs, day and night.

The Toggle and the Lubricant affect votes. If the Toggle dies, no one can unvote anymore, nor can they cast conditional votes. However you vote, you are locked in until nightfall. The lubricant I borrowed from the card captor game. As long as he is in play, voting is normal. When he dies though, each day, half the vote total of the previous day carries over on each player. Only actual votes are carried over, not previous stickyness.

The spare part is in play so you don't feel bad about losing a vital role in the first lynch, as he changes to whatever role is lynched.

That's it for rules.

-Munch "I can see needing better names for the public roles, cause I'm not sure how many people would want to be called, 'The Lubricant'" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Example of gameplay:

1)Right Lens - villager
2)Left Lens - priest
3)Lynchpin - villager
4)Lightbulb - cobbler
5)Magnet - werewolf
6)Geiger Counter - seer
7)Ethernet cable - villager
8)Telegraph wire - villager
9)Toggle - hunter
10)Lubricant - sorceror
11)Spare Part - werewolf

N0:
The (6)GC/Seer looks at (8)TW/V and learns he is not a WW
The (10)Lub/Sor looks at (6)GC/Seer and learns he is either the seer or priest

D1) Everyone votes:
(10)Lub/Sor - (1)RL/V, (7)EC/V
(11)Spa/WW - (2)LL/P
(4)LB/C - (3)LP/V
(8)TW/V - (4)LB/C
(7)EC/V - (5)M/WW
(9)Togg/H - (6)GC/S, (11)Togg/H
(2)LL/V - (8)TW/V
(5)M/WW - (9)Togg/H
(6)GC/S - (10)Lub/Sor

The Toggle/Hunter has the longest held vote, so he dies, and (11) takes his role. It is publically revealed he was a powerful/good. The priest is told he was the hunter (as if he couldn't guess).

N1:
The (6)GC/Seer looks at (7)EC/V and learns he is not a WW
The (10)Lub/Sor looks at (7)EC/V and learns he is not either the seer nor priest
The WW randomly lynch (6)GC/Seer. It is publically revealed a good died. The priest is told he was the seer.

1)Right Lens - villager
2)Left Lens - priest
3)Lynchpin - villager
4)Lightbulb - cobbler
5)Magnet - werewolf
7)Ethernet cable - villager
10)Lubricant - sorceror
11)Toggle - werewolf

D2) Everyone votes:

(11)Togg/W - (1)RL/V, (7)EC/V
(7)EC/V - (2)LL/P, (3)LP/V, (5)M/W, (8)TW/V
(10)Lub/Sor - (4)LB/C
(2)LL/P - (10)Lub/Sor
(5)M/W - (11)Togg/W

(7)EC/V dies, reducing everyone to one 1 PM per day. It is revealed he was good. The priest learns he was a villager.

N2:
The (10)Lub/Sor looks at (11)Togg/W and learns he is not either the seer nor priest
The WW kill the (10)Lub/Sor. Votes are now sticky. He is revealed to have been evil. The Priest learns he was the sorceror.

1)Right Lens - villager
2)Left Lens - priest
3)Lynchpin - villager
4)Lightbulb - cobbler
5)Magnet - werewolf
11)Toggle - werewolf

D3)
(11)Togg/W - 1 Sticky, (2)LL/P, (4)LB/C
(10)Lub/Sor - .5 Sticky,
(2)LL/P - .5 Sticky, (11)Togg/W
(5)M/W - .5 Sticky, (3)LP/V
(8)TW/V - (1)RL/V
(1)RL/V - (5)M/W
(4)LB/C - (8)TW/V

The (11)Togg/W is lynched. Votes are now stuck, so no unvoting is allowed. Votes are still sticky. (11) is revealed as evil. The priest learns it is a WW.

N3: The WWs kill (8)TW/V. Players may not PM each other anymore. The priest learns it was a villager.

1)Right Lens - villager
2)Left Lens - priest
3)Lynchpin - villager
4)Lightbulb - cobbler
5)Magnet - werewolf

D4)

(2)LL/P - .5 Sticky
(5)M/W - .5 Sticky, (1)RL/V, (3)LP/V
(1)RL/V - .5 Sticky, (2)LL/P, (5)M/W
(4)LB/C - .5 Sticky
(3)LP/V - (4)LB/C

(1)RL/V is lynched due to longest held vote. It is revealed he was good. The priest learns anything on a 1-4 on a d6. I rolled a 5. He is told he learns nothing.

N4: The wolves kill (4)LB/C. No public information about his role is revealed. The priest learns he was the cobbler (I rolled a 4).

2)Left Lens - priest
3)Lynchpin - villager
5)Magnet - werewolf

D5)
(5)M/W - 1 Sticky, (2)LL/P
(2)LL/P - (3)LP/V, (5)M/W
(3)LP/V - .5 Sticky

The priest comes out with everything, but isn't believed. He dies due to longest held vote. It is revealed he was good. The wolves win.

-Munch "Dice really don't capture the voting patterns of WW very well" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's kind of interesting.

The spare part is less interesting than it could be because it only affects day one, which is exactly when you don't need its influence. Day one you SHOULD be basing your votes partially on what part people are, because there is not much else to go on.

Quote:

This has got to be the cleverest pun I've seen in a while. Intentional?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Yeah, that's kind of interesting.

The spare part is less interesting than it could be because it only affects day one, which is exactly when you don't need its influence. Day one you SHOULD be basing your votes partially on what part people are, because there is not much else to go on.

Well, most powers work as a team, so if one dies, the other will most likely be killed by the werewolf. The spare part sidesteps this, and makes day 2 more interesting as it is left to the players to decide to remove the second of a pair, or set it up so the WW has between two pairs to eliminate.

Without the Spare part, if a lens is lynched, the WW will kill the other Lens (they don't really need the sorceror ability, and they gain from the priest and seer being mostly blind). If the LP or LB are killed, they take out the other, so no lynch/death information is revealed publically. Likewise, if the magnet or GC are killed, they will take out the other causing the same effect.

The only case I don't see WW's going for a pair is in the case of the toggle/lube as they really aren't one. Also they wouldn't go for a pair if there was a WW as part of the pair, so that might be the next lynched (unless the WW were bluffing).

For the most part the WW are reactive, not active. By having a spare part, the WW actively choose which function to attack first, and then players get to mull over the WW's choice. Did he eliminate 1/2 of a function, to make it easier to eliminate that function, and therefor the other half is good? If he goes the Magnet/GC route to eliminate public reveals, does that mean a WW is hiding in the LP/LB route? Or vice versa?

Anyway ... it was just an idea to throw out there ... it would be interesting seeing if the game could be made bigger with more public roles, but I was kind of stretching there at the end (lubricant???? spare part???). Any thoughts on other game mechanics that could be impacted? I can see breaking the toggle up into 2 parts, if one dies no unvote/conditionals within an hour of lynch, and if the other dies no unvotes/conditionals at all. I can also see 4 lenses, with a 1/6 chance each, and the wires can be broken up into 3 parts. This gets up to 15 players, in which there would be 3 WWs, 1 Sorc, 1 Cob, 1 Hunt, 1 Seer, 2 Priest (one lynch view only priest, and one WW kill only priest), and 6 villagers. Hmm ... I can even see throwing in 2 more spare parts (so an additional Cobbler abd Villager), so that the machine doesn't start breaking down right away, and it takes the game to 17.

Other thoughts?

Quote:
Quote:

This has got to be the cleverest pun I've seen in a while. Intentional?

-Munch "I'll never tell" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
Spread the conFUDsion wherever you can...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the idea a lot. Great theme, full marks for creativity. I'll join... given availability at the appropriate time!

Extra roles ideas (off the top of my head)
Circuit breaker - must daily nominate a public role not to have a vote (private PM to mod, announced at final lynch result).

Surge protector - when this role dies, each day there is a 25% chance that the top TWO vote receivers will be lynched (not disclosed until final lynch results are posted).

Power meter - will indicate how many gremlins voted during the day (unvotes do not affect this).

Squeaky rubber mouse - should not be inside the machine. No discernable function, probably fell in during construction. Must squeak every day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Javal wrote:
Like the idea a lot. Great theme, full marks for creativity. I'll join... given availability at the appropriate time!

Extra roles ideas (off the top of my head)
Circuit breaker - must daily nominate a public role not to have a vote (private PM to mod, announced at final lynch result).

Surge protector - when this role dies, each day there is a 25% chance that the top TWO vote receivers will be lynched (not disclosed until final lynch results are posted).

Power meter - will indicate how many gremlins voted during the day (unvotes do not affect this).

Squeaky rubber mouse - should not be inside the machine. No discernable function, probably fell in during construction. Must squeak every day.

Hmmm. I like the Surge Protector, but how's this for a twist. When the surge protector dies, lynch is no longer determined by longest held vote. Instead, if there is a tie for most votes, all tying candidates die.

-Munch "keep em coming" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
Hmmm. I like the Surge Protector, but how's this for a twist. When the surge protector dies, lynch is no longer determined by longest held vote. Instead, if there is a tie for most votes, all tying candidates die.

Oh, MUCH better. Might prioduce far more devious play. Like it.

cry No likee my rubber mousie? cry

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Fabulous
United States
Hillsborough/Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm intrigued. I'll need to do much more extensive reading, but I'm not one to pass up something so interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was just focusing on the surge.

Let's look at the others:

Circuit breaker - seems a bit powerful. Need to think on it. Possibly change it so either:
a) As long as he's alive, the second most voted person loses their next vote, or
b) When he dies, the second most voted person loses their next vote
Combined with a dead surge protector, then everyone who falls in second place loses their vote.

Power Meter - hmmm. Interesting. I can see some mathy twists on this. Will need some thought. Maybe have the 'voltage' applied to the lynched player revealed ... aka ... total the 'strengths' of the people voting for them (0 for weak, 1 for medium, 2 for strong). Hmmm. That might help find the WW too easily though. Will need to think on this.

Squeaky rubber mouse - I like it, but I feel sorry for the player who gets this role, as they are the least needed piece, I can see them getting voted out early. I might be willing to give them 'shock resistance' since they are rubber. The first time they are lynched, the person in second place dies instead. One time only. This does not affect night kills.

-Munch "A squeaky mouse, tied in first, with a dead surge protector would be a very interesting situation" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vidar Ambrosiani
Sweden
Nyköping
Södermanland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea is great!

How about letting the rubber mouse be a known good (after all he is rubber and not easily impersonated by gremlins). The wolves will then have a tough choice on when to kill him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oooh ... tempting .. but no ... having a 'known good' tends to extremely change the flavor of the game, with most people, including the wolves, following them for votes ... and then it's not much fun for the known good, who doesn't know anything ...

I could see them as a non-wolf role. This means they could still be a sorceror or cobbler (good parts gone bad) ... this would be instead of the 'shock resistance'...

... or maybe make them non-wolf/non-hunter

-Munch "how powerful could a rubber squeak toy be anyway?" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
-Munch "how powerful could a rubber squeak toy be anyway?" Wolf

I can't leave this idea alone. Munch, you had better run this, if only for the sake of my sanity.

Another possible role:

Transformer : When this player dies, the machine has to deal with alternating current. Lynch is no longer fixed as the player with the most votes. Instead, on alternate days, the player with the least votes will die. Players are NOT allowed to vote for themselves when the alternator is lost. Ties are resolved according to number of votes the previous day (and the previous day to that, and so on, if still tied).

This would tie in well with both the Toggle, Lubricant and Power Surge effects, but people might want to avoid knocking this one out because with no Transformer, anyone not showing up to vote one day could cause chaos, particularly if there is no surge-protector.

Whaddya think? Too powerful? Too much hassle?

When are you going to run this, Munch!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Javal wrote:
Another possible role:

Transformer : When this player dies, the machine has to deal with alternating current. Lynch is no longer fixed as the player with the most votes. Instead, on alternate days, the player with the least votes will die. Players are NOT allowed to vote for themselves when the alternator is lost. Ties are resolved according to number of votes the previous day (and the previous day to that, and so on, if still tied).

This would tie in well with both the Toggle, Lubricant and Power Surge effects, but people might want to avoid knocking this one out because with no Transformer, anyone not showing up to vote one day could cause chaos, particularly if there is no surge-protector.

Whaddya think? Too powerful? Too much hassle?

It's interesting.

I had a few more role ideas myself, but forget what they are. One thing I thought of though, with these multitude of extra roles. Keep it an 11 player game. Deal out 11 roles (or let people pick their role on a first come first serve basis). I had originally though have any role not picked, dead for game purposes (making selecting a much harder action), but it makes more sense to randomly deal roles, and any role not passed out is alive (and cannot be killed). Or maybe randomly half the non-picked roles are dead, and half are permanently alive? Ooooh, that would be interesting.

Oh .. yeah ... just remembered some roles that all go along with a game where you choose your public role:

Fuse (this is the Squeeky MOuse I described above, it can go back to it's other role). - Your private role is not a powerful one (You are a sorceror, seer, priest, villager, or cobbler).
Alternator - Your private role is not a medium powered one (You are a WW, hunter, Cobbler, or villager)
Battery - Your private role is not a weak one (You are a WW, hunter, sorceror, seer, or priest)

Javal wrote:

I can't leave this idea alone. Munch, you had better run this, if only for the sake of my sanity.

When are you going to run this, Munch!?

Currently I am running a game, but it should be finishing up this week. Looking at the calendar, Jan seems pretty full up. I really don't see a good time to run this.

Maybe Jan 30th to Feb 3rd?

-Munch "That is if people will still let me run games after my current game completes" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
I'll take a turn or two with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still like this idea, but I'm going to be taking a break for a while after my current game finishes. I've dropped out of any games I'm signed up for. If someone else wants to run this, go for it.

-Munch "Or maybe after a few weeks or a month when I've cooled my heels I might try running it then" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Welly welly welly welly welly welly well.
What's this about a new game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More ideas:

Uninterrupted Power Supply - As long as the UPS is in the game, all players my post, even after death. Dead players cannot vote anymore though, and must use zombie's in their post, but they can give advice. If the UPS is killed, dead people can no longer post (not even the obligatory zombie )

-Munch "inspired by shadow's witch" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
More ideas:

Uninterrupted Power Supply - As long as the UPS is in the game, all players my post, even after death. Dead players cannot vote anymore though, and must use zombie's in their post, but they can give advice. If the UPS is killed, dead people can no longer post (not even the obligatory zombie)

-Munch "inspired by shadow's witch" Wolf

True - although the beauty of Latria's witch role was that nobody knew about it.

I have to say, this sounds very powerful anti-gremlin; silencing the seer now takes two hits, a public and a private one. Little point in killing a seer (other than to stop further views) if he/she can still reveal all after death.

Anyway, Munch - I'm really keen to see the game run, so if it really is OK by you, I'll mod this in Feb sometime, unless you announce a time yourself.

J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really is ok. I'm taking some time off for now as I need to focus on work and life.

-Munch "how about letting the dead have one post a day while the UPS is alive?" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think on balance I'd favour being able to vote but not unvote or post, kind of like in River's Edge (the original).

All the public units added seem to, in general, benefit the good guys when alive. (Possible exception - Toggle). The more we add, the harder it is for the gremlins, and they may end up killing on the basis entirely of public roles, hoping to kill important private roles as they go. (That was my impression of how things went for the first few days in Kakaris' Chaos Spawn World series, at least, where again each player had a public and a private role). So either you make all public roles equally relevant, OR you have a few public roles that are more beneficial to the gremlins while alive, to give the good guys the equivalent problem - go against disadvantageous public roles or try to eliminate the opposition?

On that basis, a couple more ideas for components:

Security pad: Each day the security pad is alive, each gremlin can submit a 5 digit access code guess, each digit being 1,2,3,4 or 5.
At lynch, three guess results will be published (at least one being a random made-up one, which will be invalidly scored), as for a 'Mastermind' game,(http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2392), with indication of number of correct digits and number of correct digits in the correct place. If the code is ever guessed exactly, one of the vanillas is converted to a Gremlin. If no vanillas remain, the Gremlins learn the identity of the Sorceror (dead or alive). Once the code is cracked, the security pad has no further function.

Capacitor: Every day this player remains alive he gets an extra point of charge. The seer can spend 3 charges to make an extra view during the night. The Gremlins can spend 3 charges to make an extra kill. The seer (if still alive) gets first call on the stored charge.

Summary of suggested Public Roles

Right Lens - when you die, the seer/sorceror/and priest get negative 1/3 chance of gaining information (cumulative with left lens)
Left Lens - when you die, the seer/sorceror/and priest get negative 1/3 chance of gaining information (cumulative with right lens)
Lynchpin - Information about lynched victims is revealed publically
Lightbulb - Information about WW kills is revealed publically
Magnet - Public revealed information is about target's side (good/evil)
Geiger Counter - Public revealed information is about target's strength
Ethernet cable - Players may send 2 PMs to each other while he is in play (cumulative with Telegraph wire)
Telegraph wire - Players may send 1 PM to each other while he is in play (cumulative with Ethernet cable)
Toggle - Players may unvote and use conditional votes while he is in play
Lubricant - 1/2 the vote total is carried over to the next day after he dies
Spare Part - takes the public role of the first player to die
Surge Protector - When the surge protector dies, lynch is no longer determined by longest held vote. Instead, if there is a tie for most votes, all tying candidates die.
Circuit breaker - When he dies, the highest non-lynched vote-getter(s) loses his/her/their next vote.
Battery - Your private role is not a weak one (You are a WW, hunter, sorceror, seer, or priest)
Fuse - Your private role is not a powerful one (You are a sorceror, seer, priest, villager, or cobbler).
Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS)- As long as the UPS is in the game, all players may vote once per day after death. Dead players cannot make any communications, and may NOT unvote. (I'm using my amendment here, Munch, but feel free to veto)
Security pad - Each day the security pad remains alive, the Gremlins get a chance to either recruit a new Gremlin or learn the ID of the Sorceror (one use only)
Capacitor - Accumulates charge that can be spent either by the seer or by the Gremlins.

That's 18 roles, by my count.
I agree small game format would be best; keep it to 11 players.
Possibly have alternates available with DIFFERENT public roles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still like the idea of having players pick their roles (or at least pick what roles are in the game, not necessarily theirs), and of the roles left 1/2 are considered 'alive' for the whole game, and 1/2 are considered 'dead'. This is of course before they find out their private roles.

-Munch "where'd the squeeky rubber mouse go?" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean like alternate buildings in PR?
Each player in turn gets to pick a role that will exist in the game, THEN the roles get assigned randomly?

Question... do you give out private roles before or after players get to pick what is in and what is out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Javal wrote:
Each player in turn gets to pick a role that will exist in the game, THEN the roles get assigned randomly?

Question... do you give out private roles before or after players get to pick what is in and what is out?

Alternate buildings in PR? Puerto Rico? hmmm ... played it once ... not very familiar ...

The idea is either the players choose their public role as they sign up (thus as an incentive to sign up quickly), or the players pick roles as they sign up, and then those roles are dealt out at game start, not necessarily to the player that picked it (allowing players to shape the game). Either way, the public roles would have to be picked before private roles are dealt out, otherwise these two roles would be meaningless:
Quote:

Fuse - Your private role is not a powerful one (You are a sorceror, seer, priest, villager, or cobbler).

-Munch "Or you could just select the roles for the game, and announce what there will be when you set up the game ... to make it simple the first time" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
Javal wrote:

Alternate buildings in PR? Puerto Rico? hmmm ... played it once ... not very familiar ...

Sorry blush you're the first true BGgeek I've encountered who hasn't played PR much...

Quote:
Either way, the public roles would have to be picked before private roles are dealt out, otherwise these two roles would be meaningless:
Quote:

Not necessarily. You could have all the privates already determined, then assign the fuse and battery (if in the game) randomly among potential candidates, and randomly distribute the rest after that. No problem.

I really quite like the idea of players picking a role each, in the knowledge of what their private role is... extra information or disinformation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Javal wrote:
Quote:

Sorry blush you're the first true BGgeek I've encountered who hasn't played PR much...

I didn't really enjoy it ... blush

But I like Caylus !!!!

Quote:
I really quite like the idea of players picking a role each, in the knowledge of what their private role is... extra information or disinformation?

I still feel there is less incentive to pick the battery and fuse if you get the private role first. Also there are some roles which would be nicer to take if you knew your private role, but it does add a twist.

-Munch "I'm all for twists " Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.