Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I made up our own scenario with start zones on opposite sides of an island basically. We both drafted 500 point armies and played with 4 glyphs (Defense +1, Attack +1, Move +2 & Range +4).

My army: Airborne Elite, Mimring, Shaolin Monks, Microcorp Agents and Arrow gruts

Son's army: 3 squads of Marro Drones, Marro Warriors, Me Buro Sa, Nerak the Glacian Swog Rider, Su Bak Na and Blade Gruts.

We had to enlarge my son's start zone to get all his figures on the board.

The game started with me rolling a 20 to get my Airborne Elite on the battle. I placed 1st marker on AE and the other 2 on the Arrow Gruts. I rolled a 9 to my son's 7 for intiative and dropped the airborne elite onto the field next to each glyph. Because of the size of the board and such I was able to get all 4 gylphs and all four AE shot at Su Bak Na and managed to kill it on the 4th roll.
My son had his Blade Gruts bound with Me Buro Sa and he moved up and managed to kill one of the AE.
My second turn was the arrow gruts and I forgot to bound with Mimring and only moved the gruts to the edge of the water (also forgot I had the +2 move glyph). Son's second turn was the Drones and he rolled a 10 to only move 3.
3rd turn I did the Arrow Gruts again and moved Mimring, but an AE blocked his special attack. Gruts moved into the water. Son's 3rd turn was Drones and again only 3 moved, so he moved a different 3 towards the front.
On the second round things went very bad for my son.
He won intiative and moved Nerak to the water on his side. I had the AE take out Me Buro Sa and one of them moved off the range and onto the Defense +1 glyph that was lost.
2nd turn had him use the gruts and move the swog rider. I used AE again to take out the Swog rider.
He moved the Gruts again and I moved my gruts to get Mimring in range and he took out 4/4 figures with his special attack.
Going into the 3rd round, I had lost one AE and he had lost all his big figures and parts of Drones and Gruts.
I basically placed all turn orders on gruts to get Mimring to fly around and use special attack. The climax was when I was able to line-up 10 of his figures in a double row and use special attack. I then rolled 3 skulls out of 4 dice and killed two blade gruts instantly since they only had 2 dice. Out of the 8 remaining figures with 3 defense dice he actually managed to save 2 of them by rolling 3 out of 3 shields. However, by turn 3 the arrow gruts had moved up and Mimring finished off his last two drones.

It was a quick 15 minute game after a good hour of set-up and drafting.
Of course I was extremely lucky to the the Airborne Elite on the table with the 1st roll, but my son's lack of range attack really did him in. Of course his swarming army looked good set-up on the board

Anyways, we'll keep the terrain set-up and try a few more battles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Teplin
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Great session report! Sounds like your son learned a valuable lesson about what happens when the military teams up with dragons. This will serve him well in the future.

One question, however.

Quote:
The climax was when I was able to line-up 10 of his figures in a double row and use special attack.

You do know that you pick a single column of fire for Mimring's special attack, right? Therefore, the maximum number of units that can be hit is 8.

(The only exception to this is if units are on an overhang and in a cave, directly above and below each other. If this was the situation, it would be theoretically possible to hit more than 8 units.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the fire diagram in the master rules. If Mimring shoots "sideways" (along the length of his body), then it's a double row fire line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
We looked at the same diagram and decided that Mimring could shoot flame from his head or his tail, but not both. Otherwise the double-row of fire would be far too powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a clarification on Mimring's special attack, from the FAQ:

Is any figure within any eight spaced line from him attacked at the same time, or any figure within one eight spaced line?

All figures within one eight spaced straight line are hit, as long as you have line of sight. You must decide which direction he will fire. See page 11 of the Master Game guide for an illustration of this attack.

http://www.hasbro.com/heroscape/default.cfm?page=faq

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Teplin
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
All figures within one eight spaced straight line are hit, as long as you have line of sight.

This seems clear to me. You must pick one eight spaced straight line, and not two.

The diagram with two lines going from Mimring's side shows the two available options for fire lines from his side.

Also, to clarify the intial question in that FAQ:

Sinister Dexter wrote:
Is any figure within any eight spaced line from him attacked at the same time, or any figure within one eight spaced line?
(Italics added back in.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for adding the emphasis. For some reason, my browser doesn't allow me to use the formatting tools in the message editor.

Also, after I looked at the FAQ, I realized my first post was incorrect. The fire line is only a single row of hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Teplin
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
No problem. I definitely see how it could be mistaken for a double wide row from the side. Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fteplin wrote:
Great session report! Sounds like your son learned a valuable lesson about what happens when the military teams up with dragons. This will serve him well in the future.

One question, however.

Quote:
The climax was when I was able to line-up 10 of his figures in a double row and use special attack.

You do know that you pick a single column of fire for Mimring's special attack, right? Therefore, the maximum number of units that can be hit is 8.

(The only exception to this is if units are on an overhang and in a cave, directly above and below each other. If this was the situation, it would be theoretically possible to hit more than 8 units.)

Well, my son will be glad to know it would have taken an extra turn for me to win devil

Rereading the rule book & FAQ, I do agree you have to pick only 1 of the RED lines, even on the sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.