GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,865 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Nathan Smith
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious to see what others experience has been.

My wife and I played King of Tokyo tonight with another couple who we have known for years but only within the last month or so started playing a few games with. Well, everyone raved about King of Tokyo which I thought sounded like a sure fire hit with everyone. Turns out I was wrong and the game received a tepid reception. Kind of disappointing, so now I sit here trying to decide if I should start looking to trade it or hold on and give it another go.

Anyway, was just wondering if any other users were caught in a similar situation thinking their group would really enjoy a certain game only to find the opposite to be true. (as a side note, we played No Thanks! tonight for the first time and it was a pretty decent little hit!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What game did you think would be a hit with your group but fall flat when it hit the table?
I had great success with King of Tokyo. I'm sorry that it didn't work for you.

The game that failed for my group was Smash Up. Apparently the people that I play with the most are too thin-skinned for it. It led to the only argument that my group has ever had over a game. We generally like card games (Battlecon, Netrunner, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Libertalia, etc) but somehow Smash Up (which most reviewers called a light family game) was more like a knife fight in a phone booth in my house. Oh well.

I like the game, but I ended up donating it to my local game store as a demo copy since I couldn't stand to own a game that would never be played. They gave me store credit which I used to help me purchase my Netrunner core set, and it has worked out much better in the long run. Not all games are for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What game did you think would be a hit with your group but fall flat when it hit the table?
King of Tokyo is fun, but for me it is mostly fun with my son. Every other person I've introduced it to just got bored. Granted, they are used to heavier games even for warmup, but I Still thought they'd enjoy it.

My wife dislikes Smash Up and King of Tokyo equally, so there is a third wrench in the pot. Good luck finding something else to try, though. I've found that once my group has a sour experience, it is very hard to get that game back on the table for another chance.

If you're interested, the expansion adds a little more flavor to the game, and isn't too much, and you should be able to recover at least some f your money from this one either way.

cheers,

Jacovis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo your King of Tokyo experience and add another bash 'em up filler Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre. I thought the concept of the game was fun and funny (like KoT) but the mechanics were a dull vehicle for the art/humor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
My group loves King of Tokyo but it really fell flat with me. It's a very poor rip-off of Monsters Menace America.

I'm now sure the games don't fall flat because of the games, but because I introduce them.

One group I go to have a very bad pick-up of games I've brought along.
It took me a few goes for anyone to look at The Resistance and then it took off.

Games I expected to arouse interest in a hardcore Eurogame group:
De Vulgari Eloquentia so I traded it
Hermagor I gave this away
The Castle of the Devil So I play this somewhere else
Inkognito ditto
Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York so it sits on the shelf
Friedrich ditto
The Road to Canterbury ditto

Chicken Caesar was rejected by the hard core group but found some favour with the others.
Airlines Europe has been received a bit. I suspect if I sent it without me it would get played.

games they just won't touch
Kraków 1325 AD
The Castle of the Devil
Elder Sign
Witch of Salem
A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same reaction as the OP with King of Tokyo mostly, and the opposite reaction to previous posters experience with Smash Up.

Except for my daughter and one game group member, everyone else either flat out hated King of Tokyo or were indifferent to it. No one really "loved" the game (including the 2 who didnt mind it). I'm in the middle on it. I dont love it, don't hate it.

Smash up has been a success with everyone I've played it with though. game group keeps wanting to play, family loves to play it. Even people I.figured woildn't like having to "stat track" loved it. Its been my best purchase so far this year.

King of Tokyo was my worst/least played purchase of last year. No one requests it. If I bring it or suggest it just to dust it off, it's turned down unless its just me and my 7 year old daughter. And sometimes she turns it down. NO ONE has ever turned down a game of Smash up yet, in my experience.

My daughter LOVES "Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards". She doesn't even get half the humor...lol. But for some reason she loves that twisted little game. Wife enjoys it too mostly.

Game I thought my group would love? Cutthroat Caverns. I really like the game. It bombed bad. Probably wont play it with the group again, unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bonet
United States
Larchmont
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a game through an auction here called Tempus Draconis. I thought the game had some interesting mechanics and would have been received well. Wrong. The game had this sense that it would never end. Finally, the end arrived but with more of a whimper than even a snarl. I want to alter the rules because I like a lot of what the game attempts to do.

I played Zombies!!! with some friends. Other friends from this group loved Zombies!!! in the past--it was a game that got me into gaming, but either it's been so long since I played that I have forgotten how, or the unholy length of time it took sucked the fun out of the experience. I haven't played it since. Maybe it should hit the trading block?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, like this is a special event, that's basically the most common place thing when one plays with different groups. Some games work with one, some with others and some with all, some with neither. Some work, but I don't like them, ehem.

1. Games demanding casual lightly evil atmosphere. These are hard as they need both people who are creative, loud (banter, negotiation) and not offended. I can play this with friends, not so in a gaming club (also because these get better with repeated play with same group).

2. Evil games with easily hurt people. As above. There are some eurogamers and some women friends who are so easily hurt, it's not fun to play. I have no fun winning if somebody looks upset. (that's why there's a co-op in my collection). Oh another reason - played with too many of these people and they'll just collectively gang up on me as I'm too loud apparently. Oh, so evil am I.

3. Complicated games. That's what I love a gaming club for - precise, up to the point explanation and then we go. (Well actually for really complicated games I personally pick gamers, no fun in people rolling their eyes and hoping they can "learn as they go along" only to realise they made mistakes I planned to warned them about...).

4. Strategic games played with people too obsessed with strategy. Oh it will work for them... I'll go hide under the table in the meantime. And play too light hearted game will them and they'll repeatedly state "it's a stupid game".

Actually I'm surprised we're talking about games here - it's basically about people. (And I'm people's person, really I am, no, really. Okay. Mostly.)

So to recap:
- some people can't stand competition
- some people can't handle aggression
- some people can't stomach rules explanations
- some people are too rigid to experiment and play creatively
- some people won't expose them selves with proposals and talking
- some of us can't be bothered with serious competing
- some people won't play games with boring art or covers or too much brown
and so on

It's all about finding the right game for the right people for this exact day and general atmophere. That's why we need such big collections really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb

Cosmic Encounter - I had very high hopes after reviews, but it turned up that my group (2 different groups in fact) just don't want to negotiate (although they were in case of Chicken Caesar).

Mansions of Madness - this created tension between overlord and rest of the group that I didn't like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason G.
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foxfan wrote:

Its pretty awesome solo though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kellen Feral
United States
Los Angeles - Mar Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
One Eternal Round
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
My group loves King of Tokyo but it really fell flat with me. It's a very poor rip-off of Monsters Menace America.

You believe that King of Tokyo is a rip off of Monsters Menace America because they share the same theme? The gameplay is literally nothing alike.

On top of which, MmA is a dreadful game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance for me. I play with my family who, despite having been converted into a willing bunch of eurogamers, are more used to party games. I felt sure that the small box, easy rules and heavy interaction would be a perfect fit.

Wrong.

Nobody talked. Nobody thought about the significance of observing how others voted. People just started nominating/voting at random just to get done. I probably take some of the blame for poor teaching, but I hadn't played before either so I didn't realise until afterwards what I should have been emphasising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
ReggieMcFly wrote:
The Resistance for me. I play with my family who, despite having been converted into a willing bunch of eurogamers, are more used to party games. I felt sure that the small box, easy rules and heavy interaction would be a perfect fit.

Wrong.

Nobody talked. Nobody thought about the significance of observing how others voted. People just started nominating/voting at random just to get done. I probably take some of the blame for poor teaching, but I hadn't played before either so I didn't realise until afterwards what I should have been emphasising.

Similar for me - what was strange with Battlestar Galactica being a hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I walked into Cardkingdom with my two sons (14 and 11) on MLK Day to buy King of Tokyo. It was out of stock so we decided to try the store copy and played it a couple of times. It fell horribly flat that I'm glad that the game wasn't in stock. Otherwise I'd have wasted some money.

Other games that previously fell horribly flat were Acquire, Dungeon Twister, and Pandemic. All games that I really enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash up fell through hard and so did Roborally. I think Smash up is a very mediocre game, but Roborally has a lot of fun, frantic action going on. Ive since got a dew people to enjoy roborally, but smash up may be impossible. The only thing it has going for it is the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bonet
United States
Larchmont
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
godunow wrote:
ReggieMcFly wrote:

Wrong.

Similar for me - what was strange with Battlestar Galactica being a hit.

This makes sense because in Battlestar the board and minor upkeep items feel like you are doing more than simply uncloaking the Cylons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaygood17 wrote:
foxfan wrote:

Its pretty awesome solo though.

Death Angel Didn't Have the Right Payoff for Me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I really like it, but so far Power Grid has not been the success I was hoping for. It's too "thinky" and not much fun is what I've been told. On the other hand, I didn't expect King of Tokyo to be a hit, but everyone I've played it with so far has had a lot of fun. I guess I need to stick to the gateway and party games for now. Hopefully ease back into Power Grid later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Massive flops for me have been Taluva, Dungeon Lords and Small World. I was fairly certain that Taluva and Small World would be hits. I really thought Small World would be as my wife and friends like Risk but hate how long it takes and love the fantasy theme. Small World failed because it was too "finicky". Taluva failed as my wife and another friend that we play with a lot just couldn't wrap their heads around the strategy and felt it was way too abstract for them. Dungeon Lords simply had too much stuff going on.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind them liking or hating games as my wife loves Power Grid, Cyclades, Carson City, Merchant and Marauders...so it isn't a questions of games being too heavy or deep or having too much stuff. It just seems like some games just don't speak to certain people and some do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChiGuy wrote:
I really like it, but so far Power Grid has not been the success I was hoping for. It's too "thinky" and not much fun is what I've been told. On the other hand, I didn't expect King of Tokyo to be a hit, but everyone I've played it with so far has had a lot of fun. I guess I need to stick to the gateway and party games for now. Hopefully ease back into Power Grid later.

How many players have you tried PG with? I find that you need to hit that money spot with PG. Enough people to make the auction interesting but not too many that the game bogs down. We also use poker chips rather than the paper money, that way people have their chips to play with while waiting for their turn :p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cyclades - All the chrome is stunning but outside of bidding the game just felt flat. Everything: battles, card drafting, movement, building structures just felt sooooo dull. Got repetitive quick (traded for Arkham Horror).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
monchichi wrote:
How many players have you tried PG with? I find that you need to hit that money spot with PG. Enough people to make the auction interesting but not too many that the game bogs down. We also use poker chips rather than the paper money, that way people have their chips to play with while waiting for their turn

So far only 2 (with and without robots) & 4 players. I'm trying to put a game night together with 5 or 6 soon, but I have limited options with that many so I usually keep it to just 4 people tops. My girlfriend did like it with 4 people better, but prefers to play just about any other game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:

Wrong.

The Resistance has been really good with my group, though we enjoy it most with at least 7 players. You definitely need everyone talking and trying to convince each other they aren't spies, otherwise you lose half of the game's appeal. We also found that using the special ability cards can make it extremely difficult for the spies to win, so we tend to have better games when not using them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Small World

By all rights and reason this should have been a hit for my group, nearly everyone hated it and the rest were all "meh."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.