Popular Tags: [View All]
Jooky
United States
Canton
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought I would let everyone know that at my particular Wal-Mart (Canton IL) has the Wal-Mart exclusive Heroscape Master Set on clearance for only $24. I thought maybe some of you would be interested. I picked one up for myself which makes a total of 3 master sets for me. If I would have had the money I would have picked up all the ones that they had also, they had the non exclusive on clearance for $28.

Jooky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Rumsey
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's trying to tell you to buy it. And you should. It's a pretty neat game and the componentts are worth the price of admission alone. I'm going to go to my local Wally World today and see if I can pick up another set or 2 with the EOV to add to the large Heroscape collection I already have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's different about the Walmart version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snipy3 wrote:
It's $20 bucks cheaper?

You inspired me to find out for my self. From Wikipedia: "An exclusive Walmart edition is identical to 2nd edition but has three additional figures."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wal-Mart edition has three "Onyx Vipers" that are basically the same figs as the vipers in the Mallidon's Prophecy expansion set called Snipers and Vipers. These are a sort of black-gunmetal gray color, and supposed to be stronger than the original green ones. I didn't see a need to get another master set just for these three figures, but at the lower price it might be worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I bought it before Christmas when it was on sale for $29.00. Then I felt guilty for spending the money on it so I returned it unopened a couple days later. A week after that I passed it up at Farm and Fleet for $24. And now . . . is Heroscape trying to tell me something?

I don't understand this. Why would you buy something and then go take it back right afterwards? It's not like $29 is a lot of money......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Jansen
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
It's not like $29 is a lot of money......

I'm sure Bill Gates would say the same thing, but for some of us, $29 is several days' worth of food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Squires
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Buy from Walmart my sheep " -- devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooky
United States
Canton
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year around Christmas time I was looking for some kind of game to get for my boy. I had not yet discovered the geek so my game information came from friends and personal experiance. I had looked at Heroscape and then put it down because of the $42 price tag, and for the simple fact that I thought a game that looked like that would get most of its parts lost, and probably wasnt really much of a game anyway. Flash forward to early april of this year, I saw how many people here on the geek thought it was a really decent game and worth the money, so I picked it up. I am very glad I did. It is a really fun game, everyone in my gaming group (including my boy) loves to play it, and it just looks so cool when it is all set up. The only downside to it is that it takes so long to set up the board, and the fact that it can sometimes be tricky to grab all of the expansion sets. Since I jumped on the bandwagon rather late, I am missing the Roman Legion expansion from the first wave, and have only just recently gotten one of the bridge sets that seem to be getting harder and harder to find. Of course from seeing some of the pictures hereon the geek, I really really need want several of the bridge sets. Of course, I will really need more master sets too. I mean really, I HAVE want to build the board that is almost nothing but one large tower and I dont think that was done with only 3 master sets. Hmmm. After reading what I have just written here, maybe my advice would be to stay away from Heroscape after all. It's not quite as addictive the cardboard crack that is M:TG, but it is really really close!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It wouldn't be the $29 I'd be getting in trouble over (she spends more than that on her damn cigarettes)... my girlfriend would point to the huge pile of unpainted miniatures in the house and then get pissed.

The fact that they're prepainted would make no difference to her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Rumsey
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That price isn't in Central Florida. I just came from the local Wally World and the regular Master set was $40 and the "special Walmart edition" was $34. Kinda bummed me out as I was prepared to pick up a special edition one for the $24 price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cromaa wrote:
That price isn't in Central Florida. I just came from the local Wally World and the regular Master set was $40 and the "special Walmart edition" was $34. Kinda bummed me out as I was prepared to pick up a special edition one for the $24 price.

Aye same here in South Carolina I flew to our local Wally world after reading this. Walmart edition - 34. Non-Walmart edition - $40.

*sigh*

thanks for the heads up anyways!

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooky
United States
Canton
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry guys. I know all Wal-Marts are slightly different in what they carry and what they price it at. I thought that since my Wal-Mart was putting these on clearance that maybe some of the other Wal-Marts might be doing the same thing. Of course, they still might be, and just havent gotten around to it yet. At least this gives you a heads up to keep your eyes peeled, you never know when they may decide to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Quote:
I don't understand this. Why would you buy something and then go take it back right afterwards? It's not like $29 is a lot of money......

Not to most people, I suppose.

Besides, I also felt guilty buying what I felt was a "kid's game" and I'm not much into the whole dragons and monsters thing anyway. If I'm going to spend $30 on a game, I'll get something that will get more play by a wider variety of people.

hahahhaha!

I felt guilty buying a kids game (I am 39), gave it to my six year old, then after two days went nuts for fear he would trash it, so I took him to the store and let him pick out something of equal value, miscalculated, and took $40 in overdraft fees. I've played the basic rules twice with my young sons, and it's quite fun. Also, the game looks better out of the box than it does on the cover, which is rare. Finally, the Heroscape Toolkit freeware lets you add any figures you want to the game, expanding it indefinitely.

My in-laws were visiting, and one I shall call "Geoffrey", who is 45 and a self-made millionaire, was dismissively polite while I played a game with my son. I have to say, taking out Grimnak was about 300x more fun than listening to the guests talk about their new McMansion. Can't wait to fire it up with the advanced rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jooky wrote:
Sorry guys. I know all Wal-Marts are slightly different in what they carry and what they price it at. I thought that since my Wal-Mart was putting these on clearance that maybe some of the other Wal-Marts might be doing the same thing. Of course, they still might be, and just havent gotten around to it yet. At least this gives you a heads up to keep your eyes peeled, you never know when they may decide to do it.

No biggy. Worth the look anyways . Kinda like my Loot post the other day and other users were able to find it at the same price at their local Wal-Marts.

I'll keep my eyes posted though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
My in-laws were visiting, and one I shall call "Geoffrey", who is 45 and a self-made millionaire, was dismissively polite while I played a game with my son. I have to say, taking out Grimnak was about 300x more fun than listening to the guests talk about their new McMansion. Can't wait to fire it up with the advanced rules.

Don't diss McMansions. I want to play Heroscape in my own McMansion some day. I envision a roaring fire, stoked by servants, with a nice single malt and Grimnak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.