GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,823 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
65 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: How come there have been no " Great Captains" from Britain since the Duke of Wellington? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
After all the threads on German Generals I was wondering why we never see similar threads about the Brits? Haig?? Monty?? ahem Gort? .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
After all the threads on German Generals I was wondering why we never see similar threads about the Brits? Haig?? Monty?? ahem Gort?

Gort's beam weapon was inferior to the beam weapons developed by the Germans, but German technology was too little too late to turn the tide in the East, where the war was decided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
1989Game wrote:
Quote:
After all the threads on German Generals I was wondering why we never see similar threads about the Brits? Haig?? Monty?? ahem Gort?

Gort's beam weapon was inferior to the beam weapons developed by the Germans, but German technology was too little too late to turn the tide in the East, where the war was decided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Capitan Kirk count??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Because no one has heard of Field Marshal William, 1st Viscount Slim.

I also have a lot of respect for Wavell (130,000 Italian prisoners is no mean effort).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lexington
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well interesting question. Not enough publicity from their enemies? Didn't Rommel get a lot of his fame from the British press? Besides Monty it is hard to think of another British general, again I think its because of not enough press.

Wavell was an excellent operational general don't you think?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archibald_Wavell,_1st_Earl_Wave...

I also really like Field Marshal Roberts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Roberts,_1st_Earl_Rob...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dmcamp wrote:
Well interesting question. Not enough publicity from their enemies? Didn't Rommel get a lot of his fame from the British press?

If the German newspapers did write much about some British general, would we know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WW1 soiled the whole notion of "Great British General." The best the best of WW2 could do was recover from that nadir.

Since then, the British haven't been involved in any "Generals' wars."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
I wouldn`t put the following down entirely to propaganda. The British Generals of World War One were largely respected during their time. (With noteable exceptions.)

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/41398/41398-h/41398-h.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Royal Navy and Royal Air Force have had some successful flag officers. Cunningham and Dowding just to provide one each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulWRoberts wrote:
WW1 soiled the whole notion of "Great British General." The best the best of WW2 could do was recover from that nadir.

Yes, but be clear. The revisionist historians were the ones who destroyed the notion of great British generals, not the generals themselves. We are slowly coming around to a point of balance, with the work of fellows like Corrigan who are viewing their work through the eyes of professionally trained staff officers.

The ability of the audience to recognize great generals has also diminished. Few people today have military experience, fewer still have served in a - in your very good phrase - "general's war." So your average layman has very little understanding of what a good general really does, or what differentiates a good one from a bad one. Many just read a couple of articles about Montgomery, Haig or Rawlinson and jump on the dog-pile.

The original question is, of course, a straw-man, since Britain has of course produced "Great Captains" of war, many of them. A horse may be led to water, but he will not be made to drink.

Quote:
Since then, the British haven't been involved in any "Generals' wars."

This is a very good point, though I would suggest a slight re-phrasing. Operation DESERT SABER and the liberation of Kuwait was very much a general's war. The overall concept was brilliant. The British were involved. They did not, however, have operational control at the strategic level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we didn't have a major civil war, (post 1815) mostly fighting small Imperial skirmishes. Not much scope for international fame there.

As for WW2, I don't want to get embroiled in a debate about Money but apart from Patton, America also lacked 'Great Captains'. Bradley, Clark, Eisenhower? Nothing exceptional about any of them. I guess you might talk about Macarthur, but I probably wouldn't bother. Post WW2 we have failure in Vietnam, stalemate in Korea and the equivalent of colonial wars in Iraq and Afghanistan where the technological advantage gave their opponents the same chance of winning as the Zulus who charged at Ulundi.

I guess this is the last time I get thumbed in this forum!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steinar Vilnes
Norway
TØNBERG
flag msg tools
The reason may be as simple as the fact that Britain have fought few wars against strong opponents since then. If I am not mistaken, they have only fought WW1, WW2 and the Crimean war against for the age developed nations in that timespan. When it comes to WW1 and the Crimean War, neither seems to be well known for good generalship, while in WW2 american and soviet generals seems to get all the fame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:
Well we didn't have a major civil war, (post 1815) mostly fighting small Imperial skirmishes. Not much scope for international fame there.

As for WW2, I don't want to get embroiled in a debate about Money but apart from Patton, America also lacked 'Great Captains'. Bradley, Clark, Eisenhower? Nothing exceptional about any of them. I guess you might talk about Macarthur, but I probably wouldn't bother. Post WW2 we have failure in Vietnam, stalemate in Korea and the equivalent of colonial wars in Iraq and Afghanistan where the technological advantage gave their opponents the same chance of winning as the Zulus who charged at Ulundi.

I'll gladly thumb you any time! This thread isn't about American Generals though. They've been trashed repeatedly and recently in this forum.
The Brits have some quite competent Generals , Admirals, and Air Marshals .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
I would have liked General Powell as American president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

I'll gladly thumb you any time! This thread isn't about American Generals though. They've been trashed repeatedly and recently in this forum.
The Brits have some quite competent Generals , Admirals, and Air Marshals .

I tip my hat to you sir
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Is the conversation about press coverage, or professional ability?

Incidentally, anyone looking for a definition of "Great Captain" on Wikipedia is led to the article on Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba. Wellington's article does not mention the term. Someone may want to reframe the discussion so we all have a common definition to work from.

Quote:
As for WW2, I don't want to get embroiled in a debate about Money but apart from Patton, America also lacked 'Great Captains'. Bradley, Clark, Eisenhower? Nothing exceptional about any of them.

Their successes were exceptional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Parkin
United Kingdom
Sunderland
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on one's definition of 'great captain', of course, but how often does history throw up a Napoleon 1 (thankfully?)or Alexander of Macedon?
Pretty much every nation throws up talented generals, but some get more publicity than others, or have the luck to be in the right place at the right time.
How about generals Slim, Alexander and O'Connor from WW2, or, say, Napier or Roberts from Victorian times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
England had at least one great captain after Wellington...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that has changed is how we talk about war. Whether we support or oppose a particular war, we talk about the soldiers themselves or about the politicians who made it all happen. Generals are somehow seen as managers who translate policy, not deciders of it.

Who was the last general we really identified with a war's progress? Westmoreland maybe? Norman Schwarzkopf got lots of praise for Desert Storm, but even so I think that was somehow seen as George H. W. Bush's campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulWRoberts wrote:
Who was the last general we really identified with a war's progress? Westmoreland maybe? Norman Schwarzkopf got lots of praise for Desert Storm, but even so I think that was somehow seen as George H. W. Bush's campaign.

And Colin Powell's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As is mentioned, Britain has been good at not putting itself into situations where they need a Wellington. Only three major wars in a period of nearly 200 years is quite an accomplishment for a nation with ambitions of being a global superpower. And only two domestic disputes that approached open warfare (both in Ireland).

The problem with Montgomery was his ego. He knew he was brilliant and convinced himself that he was always right. His confidence led him to success, but also got him in trouble and led him to make serious operational errors like Market-Garden.

Unfortunately, among Americans he is about the only British general that the average person knows very much about. In World War II, the generals who were subordinate to overall command labored largely in anonymity unless they were such colorful figures that you couldn't ignore them if you tried (Patton). Thus we know a lot more about Eisenhower and MacArthur than of the generals who worked under them to make the grand schemes work. Eisenhower and MacArthur were household names to the point that they became important factors in post-war politics (Eisenhower became one of the more successful postwar Presidents, while MacArthur famously and publicly declined the opportunity to go into politics -- in a situation where he would have been a strong contender for the Presidential election that Eisenhower ended up winning).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulWRoberts wrote:
Generals are somehow seen as managers who translate policy, not deciders of it.

Which British General gets most references in Winston Churchill's History of the Second World War? Obviously I haven't done a count, but I'm fairly sure the answer is Hastings Ismay (I had to look up the Hastings - and then reading his Wikipedia article learned a lot more about him).

Not a famous general. But important, and apparently pretty good at his job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Only three major wars in a period of nearly 200 years is quite an accomplishment for a nation with ambitions of being a global superpower.

I think it was more than just ambition. Between the Seven Year's War and World War I, pretty much Top Nation (to quote 1066 And All That - which if not familiar with, worth rectifying).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.