GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,304 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Reconnaissance, First Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.

This game is a doozy. This game has depth, I can say that for it.

This was a first play, and thank God for the walk through style for the rules. Also, thank goodness for the Box of Delights video's on the walk through.

This was a 2 player game in which we played the grey knight (Tovak?) and the red rogue type (Amyrithia?) Not sure on those names.

The set up took quite a long time. As I did it I explained the game to my buddy piece by piece. Of course that led to a bit of sensory overload, but that isn't a big deal.

The walk through sort of tee's up the game for you in the sense that you only need to think of the game 1 tile at a time. Whatever was on the tile we just dealt with.

The Red went first and used movement to head towards the town on the first set of tiles. There I interacted and acquired peasant followers. Those regularly paid dividends in the form of movement for the remainder of the game. I was able to kill a set of marauding orcs right away too.

Gray went to a mine and got a crystal and then explored. He let me battle the other orc as well. He was trying to hold cards instead of use them up as fast as he could. I went the opposite way, trying to dump my cards each turn.

I explored a few tiles early and I decided to take on the Keep that showed up. I got hit hard for 4 wounds which really cost me a lot of time to get rid of. I won the keep but it cost me 2 turns.

I learned that there I should have kept at least 1 or 2 in hand when I took my rest, so I could actually have used the healing I later drew. I thought I could heal from my discard pile but learned that only a glade can do that.

Gray explored and found a monastery, and I found a mage tower and another keep. He kept exploring and got into a core tile. There, he fought in a den and in a dungeon. I took the mage tower and then with a couple of explores I took a ruin with 2 monsters as well

At the end, he explored the city tile and found and killed 2 dragons. He had a huge lead in fame, as well as full reputation. That didn't do him any good though as the villages were all at the other end of the map.

All that said, I took a bunch of the achievement points and I ended up winning by just a few points. 48 to 44 after subtracting my wound negatives.

My conclusion is that this game is very interesting and it was good fun to play. I like the source mechanic, as well as the night and day mechanic. Leveling up was a cool process as well.

I thought I would have more control over my deck building, but that was minimal. It was hard to get stuff to add to your deck, and it was nearly impossible to thin the deck at all.

Reputation only works in villages, right? Does it do a lot of good/bad in other scenarios?

The rules were ok to work through. I have played a ton of Arkham Horror, Starcraft the BG, and many others, so it wasn't too bad. But it was still tough. Very complex stuff with many different things going on for each icon and each token.

We didn't do any PvP this time as we were trying to learn more than win.

I felt like I had tons of choices on each and every turn, and I can totally see how in a larger map/circular game with cities that this could totally be Diablo as a board game.

I liked this a lot and I am looking forward to my next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:

Reputation only works in villages, right? Does it do a lot of good/bad in other scenarios?

Reputation works everytime you interact! You can interact at a lot of sites. When you want to recruit units, you have to take a look at the left side of the unit card. The symbols indicate where you can recruit them! There are units you can recruit in mage towers, some you can recruit in keeps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cann
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:
The set up took quite a long time. As I did it I explained the game to my buddy piece by piece. Of course that led to a bit of sensory overload, but that isn't a big deal.

I thought the Walkthrough was designed specifically to avoid the kind of sensory overload you subjected your buddy to! I loved how it compartmentalized the rules into digestible bites and presented them to you only when you needed them, i.e.: Not setting up the AA and Spell offers until you leveled up or encountered the relevant space on a tile. Personally, the hardest part of the game is setting it up. laugh

ghbell wrote:
At the end, he explored the city tile and found and killed 2 dragons. He had a huge lead in fame, as well as full reputation. That didn't do him any good though as the villages were all at the other end of the map.

All that said, I took a bunch of the achievement points and I ended up winning by just a few points. 48 to 44 after subtracting my wound negatives.

I've read that the game can snowball for the person with the highest Fame. Once in the lead it's easy to maintain. Perhaps it was just your friend's inexperience but I'm glad you pulled out the victory despite the wide margin between your respective power levels.

One aspect that you touched on that I will agree with is the lack of the traditional 'Deck Building' mechanic. You aren't so much tailoring your deck, more so collecting power to give you more options for the later game. I have noticed that my Advanced Action choices are dictated by my immediate need, taking Influence cards if there was a Unit in the offer that I just had to have before the End of the Round came or even Movement if I was hedged in by impassable terrain. (Ice Bridge saved me in my last play. Lakes? What lakes.)

All in all, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself despite the heftiness of the game. I ended up playing my copy five times in as many days when I first got it. Perhaps it was because I was utterly enamoured or maybe it was my perfectionist projecting that just had to get the rules down correctly without heavy downtime.

Game on, brother! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reputation works with all interaction? That is huge. I thought I read that it was only in villages.

I printed out a players aid for my friend and I think that by the mid point he knew the rules better than I did!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:
Reputation works with all interaction? That is huge. I thought I read that it was only in villages.

Yes, it works for all interaction (which is nearly all use of influence...but not quite all).

See page 6 of the rulebook for a list of all of the times you include reputation modifiers! It is any time you are "interacting with the locals", including not just recruiting, but also healing, spell-buying, etc. You can also purchase more than 1 thing when interacting, if you have the influence to afford it; it can be the same type of thing or something different, as long as it is offered by that location. That said, when doing this, you only get the Reputation Bonus/Penalty *once* per turn.

Finally, if your reputation is on the X modifier, you cannot interact with locals...that doesn't just mean recruit, but also heal, spell buying, etc. (Note that if you just beat up a mage tower character, though, you still get the free spell for taking over the space, since that is not from "interacting with locals", but is instead a spoil of the battle.)

(EDIT: Originally accidentally wrote "monastery" instead of "mage tower", oops!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
butsam wrote:
Note that if you just beat up a monastery character, though, you still get the free spell for taking over the space, since that is not from "interacting with locals", but is instead a spoil of the battle.

If you mean burning down a monastery, the reward is an artifact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a ton!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with ThaDoc above that it's not so much deck building, as it is trying to add useful cards to your deck. The difference is that (1) you don't get to play your deck that many times (4 in the intro and blitz scenarios, 6 times in the standard conquest), and (2) individual cards can make a really big difference in how the game progresses, whereas in more traditional deck building games it feels like individual cards don't have such strong effects.

You are right that there isn't a deck thinning mechanic that works every game, but if you are lucky to get a card that allows you to thin your deck early in the game (or one that allows you to trade basic actions for advanced actions), that makes the playthrough very unique. There are other cards and combinations of cards that result in other unique outcomes, and I think that is the appeal of constructing your deck in MKBG, even though you won't get to play it numerous times.

As you play more I think you will find that it's not always, or even usually, best to only select AAs, units, spells or artifacts based on immediate need as ThaDoc suggests. Some cards' utility is very dependent on how early or late you are in the game. In addition, being able to see the offers should dictate which places on the map you visit this round to get particular cards.

Glad you liked your first game and keep in mind it might take 5 or more games before you know the rules well and don't have to constantly flip through the rulebook. You might play the intro scenario one or two more times solo just to get better acquainted with the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K AM
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

For the record, I don't think that I suffered sensory overload. There are a lot of elements to the game and the worst part was searching for answers in the rulebook, but even that was okay.

I think it played fairly well for a first game, especially going in totally cold.

KAM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corwin1980 wrote:
butsam wrote:
Note that if you just beat up a monastery character, though, you still get the free spell for taking over the space, since that is not from "interacting with locals", but is instead a spoil of the battle.

If you mean burning down a monastery, the reward is an artifact.

You are right, oops -- corrected it above, but I was thinking "Mage Tower" and wrote "Monastery"....lol

If you beat up a mage tower character, even if reputation is at X modifier, you still get the spell, since it is a spoil of war.

Similarly, as Corwin stated, if you burn down a monastery, you still get the artifact even if reputation is at the X modifier, since it is not from an interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, then I was suffering sensory overload! Like I said, you knew the rules as well as I did, or better by the mid point. But it went pretty well.

The location cards were a big help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.