Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Hurtt
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is for tournament 1, run through the BattleLore Vassal Tournament guild. I haven't been able to schedule my round 1 game yet, so I was glad that I could get my round 2 opponent to game today. We played scenario #41 and I was the English (Pennants).

Turn 1

I played it safe and moved my left flank into a defensive formation. Too much French cavalry out there.

The French immediately launched into an attack with their left flank, pinning my longbowmen on the hill. My English billmen took a hit from this surprise charge, but gave as good as they got. French arbalestiers drove my men-at-arms in the center back.

Turn 2

The English cavalry rides in and destroys one French men-at-arms unit and scatters a second. English 1-0.

The French renew their assault, but still the English billmen hold the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Hurtt
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 3

The English advance to cut off the counter-attack and rescue the hard-pressed English billmen, destroying one French men-at-arms unit and sending the Flemish pikemen fleeing once again. English 2-0.

The French counter-attack again, trying to destroy the weakened English billmen, but…

With a shout and a cheer, the billmen counter-charge and send the French Knights (red cavalry) reeling. Even worse, the Flemish pikemen balk when they see the French Knights rout and rout off of the field. (The English red cavalry destroyed them in battle back.) English 3-0.

Turn 4

Things are looking grim for the French and it only gets worse as the English mount a charge. The French Knights realize that they are all that stands between the English and them rolling up the flank of the French army. With grim resolve, they steel themselves for the enemy's charge.

The English Knights hit the fearless French and are thrown back. The second body of English Knights, however, succeed in overrunning a unit of Flemish corssbowmen. (Yes, the red cavalry, with five dice succeed in destroying a 4 strength blue unit in a single roll, and get a Lore token to boot!) English 4-0.

At this point I must admit that I thought I had won the game. I usually put victory banners from the outside edge of the board inward, and Dan had been placing them inward out. So before the turn I had looked at the victory track, obviously not too closely, and thought that if I could get one more victory banner I would win that turn. So I took what I felt was a risky move. When Dan pointed out that I was celebrating a bit too early. I think I audibly gulped.

The French mount a counter-offensive against the rash English Knights. The French Knights destroy one unit of English Knights while the deadly arbalest fire kills the other. English 4-2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Hurtt
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 5

I had been carefully watching the French cavalry getting into position on the English left flank/French right. The game was not in the bag, this could, and was, easily turning around, so the English men-at-arms form up on the hill.

The French turtle their Knights while the Flemish crossbowmen – who will obviously win the MVP award for the French side after this battle – slay an nearly fresh English men-at-arms unit in a single volley. (Nothing like watching arbalests roll three Shields!) English 4-3. This is not funny! (Actually, it was.)

Turn 6

The only thing that did not make me feel ill was that I had drawn the Darken the Skies card the previous turn. I played that and the English longbows showed the French how it is done.

The English pulled it out 5-3 (13 figures to 21).

Dan was a great opponent, and even though he must not have been having fun at the start there when I just kept getting great dice, he kept at it and really made me sweat.

It is interesting, given a recent thread about playing without Lore, how Lore seems so significant when played well. My First Strike was lucky, yes, in that I was able to roll a Flag on three dice, but that stopped the French cavalry from rampaging through the English at a critical point. In turn, the French Knights going Fearless stopped the English Knights from rolling up the French flank, and quite probably stopping a 5-0 blow-out.

Great game. I am glad for the tournament as now I can try my rusty tricks on new opponents. Plus I learned a rule or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dhurtt wrote:

It is interesting, given a recent thread about playing without Lore, how Lore seems so significant when played well. My First Strike was lucky, yes, in that I was able to roll a Flag on three dice, but that stopped the French cavalry from rampaging through the English at a critical point. In turn, the French Knights going Fearless stopped the English Knights from rolling up the French flank, and quite probably stopping a 5-0 blow-out.

Great game. I am glad for the tournament as now I can try my rusty tricks on new opponents. Plus I learned a rule or two.

The 'Lore' in BattleLore is why this game is so great for me. It's games like this one that are so much fun. I've played many games where you can be down by 4, then up by 2, and finally lose by 1 - and it's the lore that just keeps the game on edge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.