GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,487 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Ter Ter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

i have an idea in my head for some time. A game in which you destroy the galaxy or the entire universe rather that building up your empire or something. (Saw a thread where you will build up a universe this is opposite)

So basic idea is that you are god like and you have a galaxy or universe and you play to destroy it all. You earn Victory points doing so. An extra element would be, you can also create a new world that worship you or similar and you get more power from it, but opponent can destroy your new world and get VP normally.

So my question is would be there any interest in such a game? Is there any similar games existing? As don't know if i should try to make it from an idea to at least a PnP variant or just through the idea out As this would be my first try, but i like the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Will is the closest I'm aware of coming close to the concept (although that's about spending your inheritance as fast as possible...not destroying the galaxy ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grankin
Ukraine
Mariupol
flag msg tools
Three words:
Chaos in the Old World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taylor
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From a mechanical point of view, there's a slight problem. While building things up is hard, and thus you can assign varying values varying successes, tearing things down is easy, so it'd be hard to distinguish destroying one planet/star over another. It's not an insurmountable problem though (for example, the NPCs could resist).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
It reminds me a bit of this:

The Game of Blood and Dust

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theflint wrote:

Um... I count 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
MagiMaster wrote:
From a mechanical point of view, there's a slight problem. While building things up is hard, and thus you can assign varying values varying successes, tearing things down is easy, so it'd be hard to distinguish destroying one planet/star over another. It's not an insurmountable problem though (for example, the NPCs could resist).

I disagree.

If you take a look at some of the more basic games, mechanically speaking, you will find that Chess destroys the tools you use to win, while Go builds up the tools while playing(at least to some extent, it also features destruction).

Do anyone have a link to the "build a universe" game OP referred to ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weaver Project
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
The concept sounds interesting to me - but I see that other examples of games have been provided whereby the goal is to destroy rather than create...

Would the sole goal be to destroy, or would there be an element of rebuilding that could be utilised i.e. player 1 wipes out life on another players planet, but that player could repopulate the planet at the expenditure of VP? Something like this would also permit you to have actions that destroy items at a great cost, or to render it lifeless for a lesser cost.

Just my thoughts...

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ter Ter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry dont have the link for the build universe game, but is i nthe design thread here somewhere. Forgot to save the link.

The basic idea was to let destroy only worlds, but then after some thinking, i think you could create worlds if you want and inhabit them. You can protect your inhabitants for example just not that good like someone wants to destroy them.

So the idea would be you move tiles like you can collide planets, collide asteroids and form planets. You could explode starts, just simple wipe out population on planet and create it too.

So probably i will make a WIP thread for design ideas and will try to make it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ter Ter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heres the link about universe creation:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/922200/game-design-help-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Terry
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
After seeing this post last night I've been mulling over it and I have some suggestions. First off, for a game that involves some sort of cooperative or competitive destruction, it might be interesting to have smaller goals that players would need to fulfill to progress to further stages of destruction. It may be, for example, that in order to destroy/annihilate a planet with lifeforms, you'd need to first eliminate its sun, evacuate its inhabitants, or set an asteroid on a collision course with said planet. (It might be interesting, too, if planetary bodies were constantly moving or rotating, as they do in reality, so that players would have to plan accordingly.) Whichever way you execute this design, though, I'd recommend first determining what scale is most interesting (Universe? Galaxy? Solar system? Lunar system? Planet?) and develop that, because realistically there's no way to do it all, unless you can come up with a fabulous way of changing scale mid-game, which would be really cool, actually...

Another interesting idea would be to create this game at the micro level versus macro. For instance, players could be competing to design a virus that could successfully break past a cell's defenses and spread through a body. This might be interesting because unlike planets, cells are constantly diving and dying. So players would have the added complexity of having to fight cells at different stages, and perhaps trying to build a virus that could spread faster than the cells could divide.

-Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ter Ter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice ideas, need to think a bit more now As like the cell idea or the idea of small goals first

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it have to be an entire universe destroyed? Why not an invading force trying to destroy a local populous, but you have to do it with limited forces and the inhabitants fight back. Or you are a lobby group trying to tear down a political tradition and you have to fight theopposing political clout with limited funds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
seems that you could do this via a standard euro engine building process - but give players a good starting position and make the destructive capabilities greater than what they can create.

That way you may start with 100VPs of end game scoring, but its likely that you are going to end with less - but still the goal is to end with the most VPs.

Like all games the trick would be to create an environment in which the alliances are based more in a shared interest model (ie, the stock systems in Imperial and Chicago Express) than a more problematic pick on the leader (risk) method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ter Ter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah universe is a big of problem with powers and such. Now i got an idea that gods try to destroy the world.
That way gods can use powers like, fire, water (flood), earthquakes, wind (tornado) and maybe extra things like viruses, meteorites and such. Hm... The idea just popped in my head how i can make different tiles harder to destroy and how simple harders tiles can give more VP's.

What about dice, how you think if you would need to roll a dice and get to a number to success to destroy something. Like d6 or d10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wanless
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One idea that popped into my head is some sort of chain reaction style of play. Where players place tiles (say planets, asteroids, etc...) over a number of turns so that when you destroy the first it causes debris to destroy the next and so now till the chain can't go any further and whoever destroyed more, wins. You could place stuff so that it messes up your opponent's chain so they would have to come up with work arounds'... just a thought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.