GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,928 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: In-setting meaning of some cards.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Armitage
msg tools
Dont know if its my lack of knowledge of the Android setting, but there are some cards whose intended meaning escapes me.

For eg. Armitage Codebusting. What does this means ? I know "Armitage" is the name of a character in the Neuromancer novel but how does it relate to a card that gives you money is beyond me.

Also, does Breaking News supposed to mean thats the runner who is being watched on the cam ? Thats why he receives the tags ?

Sorry if those questions looks stupid, guys. its that I love to immerse myself in the themes and worlds of the cardgames I play. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Armitage Codebusting is probably the simplest card thematically, exchanging time for money is something you do 5 days a week.

Breaking News is exactly that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that Armitage Codebusting is a Job (look at the keywords on the card).

Also, consider that clicks are a measure of how you're spending your time and effort.

So you're investing your time at a job to make money.

Makes perfect sense, much more so than many others.

As for breaking news, I think that card is meant to show the 'short attention span' of the public. For a little while, the hacker's all over the air, then the news cycle moves on and everyone forgets about him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
I always just assumed it was "breaking news" that the hacker lives here, has resources here, and so on. Of course, the runner also knows this, and thus moves himself and his resources elsewhere before long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
contiguity wrote:
I always just assumed it was "breaking news" that the hacker lives here, has resources here, and so on. Of course, the runner also knows this, and thus moves himself and his resources elsewhere before long.

I think, thematically, that's what the removing tag action is for. I agree with Asmor that it's NBN thrusting the hacker into the 24 hour news cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sohum Banerjea
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, yes, we have this thread!

Is Project Braintrust really a team of distributed disembodied sysops?

What exactly is Project Beale?

How does Aesop sell everything he can sell?

What exactly is The Personal Touch? Remember that it's hardware.

What is happening when the Runner trashes a Region?

What does Data Raven's power counter represent? How is it hidden from or untouchable by the Runner?

Does Jinteki: Personal Evolution zap every runner in the country every time they score an agenda?

What do Medium and Maker's Eye represent? Seeing the future by intuitively plugging together bits and pieces of data?

How do Noise's and Whizzard's abilities work?

And, last but not least...

How does Akitaro do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you weren't being sarcastic, because I'm going to try and wing these. ninja

sohum wrote:
Ooh, yes, we have this thread!

Is Project Braintrust really a team of distributed disembodied sysops?
Yes?

How does Aesop sell everything he can sell?
He doesn't sell it. He buys it from you, either hardware or information (e.g. a meeting with a contact, or a transfer of contract) I don't know why he pays 3 for a 1-cost mem chip, but maybe you got it on a discount or something. Maybe he sells it later, maybe he uses it.

What exactly is The Personal Touch? Remember that it's hardware.
It's also a mod, so you're using your personal touch to make your rig more responsive and powerful. Who cares how?
But if you want to go deeper than that, since runners plug into direct brain/computer interfaces, and the card references z-loops and cortical waves, it might be manipulating your 'connection' with an electical grounding point or looping brain signals in a different (z-axis), more efficient route than normal.

Hacking. Leaking files or shady business practices so the branch closes; e.g. Making someone at Amazon Industrial Zone very unhappy and no longer willing to do business with Weyland Consortium.

What does Data Raven's power counter represent? How is it hidden from or untouchable by the Runner?
Why is any ice untouchable by the runner? But I think it's like a bird on a wire. It sits there and watches you all the time. When you try to shoo it away, it flies back.

Does Jinteki: Personal Evolution zap every runner in the country every time they score an agenda?
Yes. Jinteki's agendas are so beautiful to look upon, ruining them is simply heartbreaking and it's painful to jack out after such vivid trauma.

What do Medium and Maker's Eye represent? Seeing the future by intuitively plugging together bits and pieces of data?
I don't think so--I think they're just very generalized programs that can aggregate tons of encrypted data.

Noise cranks out so many viruses that the corp can't focus on keeping them all out and some assets slip through the cracks.
Whizzard is just really good at dealing with information. He's a gamer, and very good at remembering minutia that other runners would have to Google.

And, last but not least...

How does Akitaro do it?
On top of a big pile of money, with many beautiful ladies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Voxen wrote:

Jinteki wrote a program that is virtually unhackable and used on every remote server. An evolution by any means! But the project was rushed and not completed before installation - it appears its unlocked everytime Jinteki is hacked on a core server. The upgrade is rumored to come out in another few months. Jinteki: Evolution - Nirvana
Voxen wrote:

Noise previously worked for Encrypton (a security company contracted by all the Corps). Before Noise left for the life of a Runner she installed a virus into all the most popular corps R&D defense systems known. That virus is executed each time another Virus is installed. Noise made it known the virus had been installed immediately after leaving and was given the nickname for making it known to all the world.
Whizzards father was the CFO for Encrypton and was able to gain top level access to bank accounts for each corp. Unfortunately the bank accounts are so well encrypted he was only able to manage to use those credits within the Corps itself; thus not able to transfer them to his own bank accounts for personal use.

This was very fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Lord of Space
msg tools
sohum wrote:

I see the region upgrade representing a link to some piece of technology present in a specific region. So trashing it would just be severing that link.

sohum wrote:

I see it representing some piece of lingering data/code on the runner the corp can use to instantly get a fix on that runner. Doing so then makes it obvious to the runner where it was hidden and they then get rid of it which would explain why it's spent rather than reusable at will.

sohum wrote:

Yeah this one's kinda weird. I viewed R&D as a major server network of the corporations plans, securities, assets, etc. Basically stuff they know of already, but due to so many people working for these megacorps and boards of directors deciding which direction to go leads to the randomness in the direction they move (the random draws.)

The problem then is that they went ahead and called the card that lets you rearrange R&D Precognition which makes it seem like R&D is nothing but some people sitting around coming up with crap off the top of their heads, including ideas they've already used before. I think they should have instead called it something like Directed Planning or some variation like that. Then programs/events like Medium and Maker's Eye could have been renamed and operated as something more realistic and far less mystic-y.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Čurla
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Why do people refer to Noize as "she"?
She changed sex? I mean it does look male to me on the card...
P. S. Dont mean to sound schovinist. I am intrigued.

notyetsuperman wrote:
Voxen wrote:

Jinteki wrote a program that is virtually unhackable and used on every remote server. An evolution by any means! But the project was rushed and not completed before installation - it appears its unlocked everytime Jinteki is hacked on a core server. The upgrade is rumored to come out in another few months. Jinteki: Evolution - Nirvana
Voxen wrote:

Noise previously worked for Encrypton (a security company contracted by all the Corps). Before Noise left for the life of a Runner she installed a virus into all the most popular corps R&D defense systems known. That virus is executed each time another Virus is installed. Noise made it known the virus had been installed immediately after leaving and was given the nickname for making it known to all the world.
Whizzards father was the CFO for Encrypton and was able to gain top level access to bank accounts for each corp. Unfortunately the bank accounts are so well encrypted he was only able to manage to use those credits within the Corps itself; thus not able to transfer them to his own bank accounts for personal use.

This was very fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ji "Noise" Reilly is a man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
Why is a corporate retreat and a priority requisition worth more points than creating a fetal AI, hiring a security team, or running a beta test, or seeing into the future (Nisei 2)? Why is a hostile takeover worth so little?

Why do central servers begin the game completely unprotected?

What happens to the agenda Archer eats?

Why do Criminals code such awful breakers?

How come Neural Katanas don't result in any Bad Publicity?

Why is NBN a news network instead of a codegate vendor?

If you can control quantum probability with a ring (Sure Gamble), how come you can't make more than 4 credits profit?

Does taking 1 credit for a click represent flipping burgers?

Why are Adonis campaigns so short-lived?

What does trashing a mining corp even look like? What about trashing Akitaro?

What does Ash x435jk3j5 do?

How does taking 1 net damage destroy your stash of Diesel? And why does drinking it a) make you able to take more bullets b) simulate exposure to a seedy club (Wyldside)?

How does a Djinn take up your memory, but give you more than it itself takes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Escapade wrote:
Why is a hostile takeover worth so little?

Because any company you can take over so easily is not going to be very big.

Also, it's a remake from a Netrunner card called "Charity Takeover", hence the bad publicity you get from it.

Quote:
How come Neural Katanas don't result in any Bad Publicity?

Because when a criminal gets a net shock while stealing nobody cares.

Quote:
Why is NBN a news network instead of a codegate vendor?

They do sell codegates

Quote:
If you can control quantum probability with a ring (Sure Gamble), how come you can't make more than 4 credits profit?

Because no matter how you do it, if you earn too much you'll be invited to leave.

Quote:
Does taking 1 credit for a click represent flipping burgers?

Yes. Why? Beacuse it's funny.

Quote:
Why are Adonis campaigns so short-lived?

Because the 4 you invested in marketing doesn't last forever.

Quote:
What does trashing a mining corp even look like? What about trashing Akitaro?

You simply meddle around, get Akitaro fired or create a dispute between Melange and the Corporation so the contract is rescinded.

Quote:
What does Ash x435jk3j5 do?

He monitorizes the network and manually annoys you so you don't get to the real dough.

sohum wrote:
How does Akitaro do it?

Cyber Duct-tape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escapade wrote:

How does taking 1 net damage destroy your stash of Diesel? And why does drinking it a) make you able to take more bullets b) simulate exposure to a seedy club (Wyldside)?

Cards in your hand are not "stash of Diesel". They are just plans, blueprints, schedules and so on. When you take damage, your schedule is disrupted as you have to spend time recover/heal and rebuild (i.e. using clicks to draw cards). The things you discard are the things that fell by the wayside during your hospital visit.

I.e. You meant to go to the UberMarket and buy a stash of diesel, but that quickly lost priority when that Neural Katana sizzled your synapses and forced you to sit 1 week in a sensory deprivation chamber to allow them to recover.

Drinking Diesel allows you to focus better, so you can quickly fill up your schedule with things to do. Wyldside makes better use of your time when looking for more opportunities (to buy software/hardware or meet new people).

A PSF doesn't necessarily shoot you with bullets every time. They may come to your apartment and trash your shit or break a few fingers as a warning first.

Quote:

How does a Djinn take up your memory, but give you more than it itself takes?

It's a resident daemon program. Its complex algorithms allows it to compress the memory footprint of any program hosted in it, but if you host more than 3 MU its CPU consumption increases exponentially.

Quote:
Why do Criminals code such awful breakers?

They're more of a social engineer, than a software engineer.

Quote:
Why do central servers begin the game completely unprotected?

They're not. But for a high-quality runner like you, they might as well be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sohum Banerjea
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of Space wrote:
sohum wrote:

Yeah this one's kinda weird. I viewed R&D as a major server network of the corporations plans, securities, assets, etc. Basically stuff they know of already, but due to so many people working for these megacorps and boards of directors deciding which direction to go leads to the randomness in the direction they move (the random draws.)

The problem then is that they went ahead and called the card that lets you rearrange R&D Precognition which makes it seem like R&D is nothing but some people sitting around coming up with crap off the top of their heads, including ideas they've already used before. I think they should have instead called it something like Directed Planning or some variation like that. Then programs/events like Medium and Maker's Eye could have been renamed and operated as something more realistic and far less mystic-y.

I guess it's just meant to be intuition. R&D represents every project that's being put in the final stages, being made ready to happen, so that includes the actual research and development division, yes, but it's also that part of your company that speculates on hedge funds. The distance to the top of your deck is simply how close they are to completion.

So a normal run on R&D finds the hot project that everyone's talking about. But if you can "see the matrix", if you have the eye of one who makes, you can dig a bit deeper into the email records and transaction records and it suddenly comes to you, in a flash - this is what you'd need to deploy Project Junebug. Phew that you caught it in the planning stages!

And if you put little data-collecting viruses into the corp's network, then you can do that on steroids. Every time you hack in, your viruses spew more logs at you and it becomes easy and trivial to figure out that those reports over there mean they're working on plastering your face all over the news.

Precognition, then, lets you know rather than guess which projects are actually close to completion, and what key resources you need to nudge whose way to shift that.

Voxen wrote:
Yes. Jinteki's agendas are so beautiful to look upon, ruining them is simply heartbreaking and it's painful to jack out after such vivid trauma.

I was actually asking what happens when Jinteki scores an agenda. Presumably, they do this without any interaction from the runner at all; the runner isn't even jacked in! And yet... every runner around the country suddenly gets a headache?

And...
Escapade wrote:
What happens to the agenda Archer eats?

This is an excellent question and I would like an explanation too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sohum wrote:
I was actually asking what happens when Jinteki scores an agenda. Presumably, they do this without any interaction from the runner at all; the runner isn't even jacked in! And yet... every runner around the country suddenly gets a headache?

Why do people think a corporation is playing against every runner in existence? A Runner/Corp matchup means that they are currently focused on you as you are currently trying to destroy them. When Jinteki scores an agenda, only their targeted runner is damaged, not everyone.

As to how they do it? Similar to neural EMP maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buchanan
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Whenever Jinteki scores an Agenda they sap psychic energy from every human in the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Armitage
msg tools
Uau. This thread grew fast.

Thanks for the answers guys. So Armitage codebusting is probably just some part time job you do for some "Armitage" soft house. Cool.

What about Nisei MK 2 ? Is this supposed to mean some psychic-related project ? (it actualy resemble the "precogs" in Minority Report movie). How it relates to its effect of run stopping ? Some telepathic trick ?

And what of project Junebug ? Dont know if its because of its nasty effects, but this card have a creepy image on my mind. I think it may be some kind of "bio-weapons lab" in the Resident Evil´s Umbrella vein. And when the runner accesses it, maybe the bio-weapons are released to get the runner ?

EDIT: looking again, Junebug makes net damage, not meat damage, so its not physical damage right? It just got me even more confused. Whats "net damage" means, anyway ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
vini_lessa wrote:
looking again, Junebug makes net damage, not meat damage, so its not physical damage right? It just got me even more confused. Whats "net damage" means, anyway ?

Non-permanent damage caused by deliberate neuro-electrical feedback through whatever virtual reality Direct Neural Interface exists in this particlar cyberpunk world. Brain Damage is caused by even nastier stuff that is usually referred to as "Black ICE" due to its lethality.

As for the name, Wikipedia didn't have anything obvious, so I propose this creepy and elaborate story: Maybe they have coma victims/DOAs that they're trying to transfer the consciousness of to their victims.

Wikipedia wrote:
Flies in the family Pyrgotidae are endoparasitoids of these and related beetles. The female flies pursue the beetles in flight, laying an egg on the beetle's back under the elytra where the beetle cannot reach it. The egg hatches and the fly larva enters the body cavity of the beetle, feeding on and eventually killing the host before pupating. Wasps in numerous families are parasitoids of Phyllophaga grubs, including Pelecinidae, Scoliidae, and Tiphiidae. They are also known to be prey to a large variety of amphibians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tala Mare
msg tools
mb
vini_lessa wrote:
Uau. This thread grew fast.

Thanks for the answers guys. So Armitage codebusting is probably just some part time job you do for some "Armitage" soft house. Cool.

What about Nisei MK 2 ? Is this supposed to mean some psychic-related project ? (it actualy resemble the "precogs" in Minority Report movie). How it relates to its effect of run stopping ? Some telepathic trick ?

And what of project Junebug ? Dont know if its because of its nasty effects, but this card have a creepy image on my mind. I think it may be some kind of "bio-weapons lab" in the Resident Evil´s Umbrella vein. And when the runner accesses it, maybe the bio-weapons are released to get the runner ?

EDIT: looking again, Junebug makes net damage, not meat damage, so its not physical damage right? It just got me even more confused. Whats "net damage" means, anyway ?

They are developing viruses that target the runners brain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Lord of Space
msg tools
sohum wrote:

I guess it's just meant to be intuition. R&D represents every project that's being put in the final stages, being made ready to happen, so that includes the actual research and development division, yes, but it's also that part of your company that speculates on hedge funds. The distance to the top of your deck is simply how close they are to completion.

So a normal run on R&D finds the hot project that everyone's talking about. But if you can "see the matrix", if you have the eye of one who makes, you can dig a bit deeper into the email records and transaction records and it suddenly comes to you, in a flash - this is what you'd need to deploy Project Junebug. Phew that you caught it in the planning stages!

And if you put little data-collecting viruses into the corp's network, then you can do that on steroids. Every time you hack in, your viruses spew more logs at you and it becomes easy and trivial to figure out that those reports over there mean they're working on plastering your face all over the news.

Precognition, then, lets you know rather than guess which projects are actually close to completion, and what key resources you need to nudge whose way to shift that.

Yep and these descriptions are very much based in reality which is why I believe Precognition and to a lesser extent Medium are misnamed. Knowing which projects can be completed quickly is really just a function of good leadership.

Weyland is a great example in both Aggressive Negotiations and Project Atlas. The latter especially implying an almost dictatorial board of directors deciding exactly what they need and getting it done immediately. No need to see into the future.

Precognition then is really just some higherups looking at some progress reports and shifting resources around to get some things done quicker, ie. just another leadership decision not based in anything mystical at all.

Then again, maybe I'm just applying Weyland business style (classic real life megacorp style) onto Jinteki. Maybe Jinteki doesn't operate like a normal business with constant progress reports used by managers to shift project priorities. Maybe Jinteki just flies by the seat of their pants and creates some crazy psychics to look into the future so they can decide the path of the business. That actually makes a lot of sense for Jinteki and makes Precognition a very appropriate name. Adds more flavor to the corps too.

As long as they don't deviate from this Jinteki flavor, I can gladly live with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jinteki makes genetically modified clones. Some of those (and in particular Caprice Nisei) are telepathic and precognitive. Precognition, in Jinteki, would absolutely represent bringing psychic powers to bear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Psychographics

It seems to be something about having a large customer database, which means the more tags they have, the more they can narrow down precisely who the runner is, where they ship, who their friends are etc.

What I don't understand is how knowing everything there is to know about the runner helps them advance quickly.

Essentially Pschographics gets the corp free clicks equal to the number of tags on the runner, so perhaps its not actually advancing their agendas any faster, its keeping the runner occupied so they skip a turn or two.

So the corp knows the runner's daily schedule inside-out thanks to tracking down which credit cards are theirs, realises they like a certain type of band and put on a free concert just down the road from the runner? Or do they see the runner's preferences in the appropriate sex and hire a honey pot to distract them while they push though a private security force?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Psychographics is abstracted. I mean, you could argue they get in the runner's brain to analyze it for their own purporses but that's forced and silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me take a stab...

Psychographics: Brain mapping - by knowing the runner better, they can map the runner's brain, gleaming information and more importantly creative problem solving abilities, enabling them to accomplish agendas quickly.

It goes to show, corporate power + creative abilities (the one thing that corps lack) can take over the world. If a runner became the head of a corp, the world would be in chaos...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.