markus
Austria
vienna
vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If Stormy Seas is played on a sea zone Dracula is in,
is he allowed to enter a port that is currently on his trail?

If no, is Dracula considered cheating if he is unable to play a card
due to all ports of that sea zone being part of his current trail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
He can always use the double back card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jhamin wrote:
He can always use the double back card.

False.

Rules Booklet, page 10: '3. Dracula cannot use any of his Powers while
at sea. He is weakened while crossing running
water and cannot call upon his most potent
abilities. This effectively restricts him from
backtracking or staying in place at sea.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
drone9 wrote:
If no, is Dracula considered cheating if he is unable to play a card due to all ports of that sea zone being part of his current trail?

I suppose he is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alferd Packer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Personally, I would allow Dracula to use the double back card in this instance. If only for the nitpicking reason that he's no longer at sea. He's being forced ashore by an event card. If the double back card is already in his trail; then yes, I might consider giving Dracula a cheating result for failing to plan ahead enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this in the FFG message board too after a similar question. I believe that the following applies.

Page 13-Crossing His Own Trail:
"In the unlikely event that
Dracula maneuvers himself into a position
where he has no legal move, he is punished as
though he were caught cheating (see
“Cheating,” on page 25) and then takes his
turn as normal (assuming he didn’t lose the
game)."

I'd say that in the unlikely event that Dracula finds himself in the situation where he's in a sea zone that only has ports that are in his path and "Story Seas" is played then the aformentioned rule would apply. Now the cheating rule seems to be a suggestion based on how it's worded. I can see forcing Dracula to clear his path but perhaps one could decide that the blood price is too high. On the other hand one could leave the blood price in place and simply consider Dracula to have been had. Tough luck, Count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand...

Why not play this as if the Dracula player has played the double back card? Just follow the double back rules without playing the card. Is there any reason this can't be played this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nevis
Netherlands
Amsterdam
N-H
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the FFG messageboard an intereseting question about the combination of hypnosis and stormy seas popped up. A hunter plays hypnosis; Dracula announces to disembark onto the Atlantic, after which a stormy seas card is played. Dracula cannot disembark and is technically "cheating", resulting in a quite severe penalty.

An obvious solution is to never announce a sea-location when the hypnosis card is played against you, however, I doubt this was intended by the designers. Otherwise a hint in the rules would have been nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
If Dracula has no cards in his location deck that can be validly played they I think it is pretty clear the cheating result is the appropriate result. I think we get hung up on it being treated as if Dracula had been caught cheating and take it to imply an equivalence.

Instead, think of it as a penalty for bad play.

As for Hypnosis, I don't think the Hunters making Draculas obligated move invalid is the same thing. What on earth would be the result if a Hunter was roadblocked in a similar fasion, preventing them from completing their announced move?

Should such an event occur, I think either player is simply freed of the obligation and can move freely. Should the Dracula player have all other adjacent moves in his trail then the cheating result would apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.