Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I am looking for is the simplest Civil War game availible for a new gamer. I believe Battle Cry (which would be perfect) is now out of print. I would like to find something similar to Havoc but with a Civil War theme. It needs to be as simple as possible.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A House Divided

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The simplest one I can think of is Columbia Games "Dixie". You can download the rules from the Columbia Games site. See if that fits your needs. It was originally marketed as a CCG, but you can buy complete sets from Columbia. Try the Bull Run deck since that has the fewest cards.

If you want a traditional boardgame on the Civil War, you might try Avalon Hill's "Gettysburg" or the Avalanche Press "War of the States" series. Both are division level games with not a lot of counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play Battle Cry, one option is to use the boards from Memoir '44 and buy some plastic Civil War figures. Imex and many other companies make them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very simple CIVIL WAR game that is OOP but is often available from EBAY is the BLUE & GREY QUAD from SPI. 4 pages of rules well actually the rule book is 4 pages long but there is much introductory stuff that is simply reading. Blue & Grey I is often times much cheaper than Blue & Grey II (don't really know why) but it is.

Perhaps 1863 by PARKER BROTHERS also often found on ebay for small dollars might interest you. Very simple Civil War game and without making a big monetary investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you want to play Battle Cry, one option is to use the boards from Memoir '44 and buy some plastic Civil War figures. Imex and many other companies make them.

Oh, I have Battle Cry and M'44. I am a fan of both. The new gamer is my stepfather. He is interested in the Civil War and other American history. He is interested in my family's gaming hobby but is a little unsure about learning the games himself. He has four player chess, so I think he'd be open for other games.

House Divide is a good idea. I've played that and have really enjoyed it. Also, my stepfather may appreciate that its map's center is Kentucky.

Other games that were recommended, I am unfamiliar with so I'll have some research to do.

Keep the recommendations coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried using the BGG Advanced Search?

Searching for "American Civil War" games with weight 6.5 with 10 raters gives:

Battle Cry
Victory & Honor
Pea Ridge
Early American Chrononauts
Across 5 Aprils
Gettysburg - 125th Anniversary Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it mostly depends on what aspect of the war he'd be interested in. Individual battles, an operational campaign, or the whole thing on a strategic level?

For battles, I think the Blue and Gray Quad has had its day. Battle Cry might be something, but if it's like Memoir '44 then he probably won't be gaining any insight into things that he hadn't already picked up from books or watching a few movies. Victory Games' Across 5 Aprils would be very good for low-complexity battles. It's not as fun for me as the others I mention in the operational and strategic categories, but it's a solid pick for battles, I think. Stay away from the GBACW stuff, whether the recent highly-detailed (and fiddly) ones or the old originals (Terrible Swift Sword and the like -- even the smaller battles like Stonewall or Pea Ridge are far more complex than A5A). The Gamers' CWB/RSS stuff will also be too complex.

Operationally, the GCACW stuff is great. Gobs of history, and if he's a reader he'll enjoy the historical info accompanying the scenarios and admire the way the scenarios play out. It's a little tough to get your head around at first, but after a turn it becomes second nature. Stonewall's Last Battle is the cheapest entry into the system, focuses on an interesting campaign, and ramps up gradually from a one-turn learning scenario through the campaign game. Make sure to get the living rules for the series (it improves the artillery resolution and makes it easier to handle, to boot). This series exemplifies to me the wargame adage "history in a box". If it clicks with both of you, you can continue to play it and the series live via VASSAL (it's a highly interactive game, so it plays very well that way)

Strategically, A House Divided sounds like a winner and the one I would suggest. I also greatly admire the Blue vs Gray card game...although it's easy, it's difficult to get your head around, though. For the People would be far, far too complex at this time.

Hope that helps.

(Lucky girl. My dad is a history nut, but has never shown interest in gaming it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. B @ Rockin' B
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
American Civil War by Eagle Games is decent. Despite the rating here on BGG of @6.xx I give it an 8. It has 3 levels of rules so you can start where you feel most comfortable. I started with the Advanced rules. It is not as cumbersome/lacking as some make it sound. The only annoying thing I found with it is the small territories on the huge map given the size of the armies. The battles were easy too.

If you want added fun play with Battle Cry. Play the strategic level on with ACW and the battles with BC. You can use the map generator located in the BC files here on BGG.

Currently, Boulder Games has it on sale for $24.80.

One other warning, all the miniatures have to be removed from sprues.

I would also recommend A House Divided.

LIVE FREE! PLAY WELL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely A House Divided. Simple basic game, with an advanced game once you have the rules down pat. Plus it's in print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinions on what I have played and/or own:

Dixie:Bull Run. It actually has a more correct feel as a Civil War Battle than Battle Cry and isn't any harder. Nice card art too. Lotsa variety in the uniforms at this point in the war. This is my favorite of the three editions. It's boardless game that does take into account flanking, long and short range fire and the effects of individually named generals on troop morale. Simple roll to hit combat with the numbers in the corner dictating the how many dice to roll when you shoot and the units morale when it is hit.

You may need some Bingo markers as hit markers.

Note: You can scale the size of the battle simply by agreeing on how many cards to use or point build your battle decks based your preferences. The best generals, the biggest infantry regiments or the biggest batteries? You can't have it all.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/85708

Battle Cry can be played with M'44 boards and Terrain. In fact I'm considering putting the BC minis, rule/scenario book and cards in my game tub w/M'44 and the expansions and leaving the big BC box at home. For extra minis I bought 4 sprues of Eagles ACW minis(two dark blue, 1 butternut and 1 gray and one sprue of brown horses for $3.00 each free shipping.

A House Divided: Beautiful 3rd edition. Covers the whole war but is pretty simple. Point to point movement, no odds calculating just roll to hit. There is some disagreement on average game length it all depends if the game goes full term. Most of the times I played it didn't. You can also use the sudden death victory conditions.

Across 5 Aprils: One of my favorite hex and counter ACW games. Great game but not as simple as possible. Not the best for you.

The SPI quads were a mixed bag. I felt that some were not well balanced and the graphics are fairly drab by today's standards.

Eagles American Civil War was just too darn big. The map was a little larger than my 34 x 44 gaming table. It totally dominated the room and clashed with curtains. It had to go.

Gettysburg 125th Anniversary Edition: Hex and counter. Slightly oversized hexes and counters. No stacking as the larger hex size permits two units to occupy the same hex without covering info. No odds calculating. Each player adds his strength in the particular battle and rolls a d10. Losses are detemined by the difference. This is easier than Across 5 Aprils, prettier than the SPI quads for about the same complexity, a lot smaller than The Eagle's game, more limited in scope than AHD and a little more complex than Dixie:Bull Run.

Summary: A House Divided for the big picture and Dixie: Bull Run for a quick playing tactical game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Moody wrote:
I think it mostly depends on what aspect of the war he'd be interested in. Individual battles, an operational campaign, or the whole thing on a strategic level?

For battles, I think the Blue and Gray Quad has had its day. Battle Cry might be something, but if it's like Memoir '44 then he probably won't be gaining any insight into things that he hadn't already picked up from books or watching a few movies.

I think this goes for any game, personally. If a history nut (hi!) goes into a game looking for The Truth, I think they'll be disappointed more often than not. If they go into it looking for an evocation of the period and subject, the results are more satisfying.

Quote:
Operationally, the GCACW stuff is great. Gobs of history, and if he's a reader he'll enjoy the historical info accompanying the scenarios and admire the way the scenarios play out.

Quite. They're great games. Just so we all know, though: The "Basic, Standard" rulebook for GCACW is twenty-five pages long (granted, including the cover) and this is intended for a man who has played relatively few games, never mind wargames.

Quote:
Strategically, A House Divided sounds like a winner and the one I would suggest. I also greatly admire the Blue vs Gray card game...although it's easy, it's difficult to get your head around, though. For the People would be far, far too complex at this time.

Agreed on all points. AHD, especially if you're familiar with it (and can thus help), is the winner here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Goodwin
United States
Grayslake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about The Price of Freedom? I have yet to get my copy, but I have high hopes based upon what is up on the 'geek and based upon the designer's previous game: Age of Napoleon. Napoleon handled an asymetric conflict well, so this looks like it will be a good light game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Price of freedom:
1. It can be played in two hours (though not the first time)
2. The civil war came out about historical.
3. Fast pace. not too much down time.
4. Fairly fun.

But:
5. A little bit scripted. (especially the political side. THe political decisions are not agonizing decisions. It is more of when will you draw the needed card.)
6. No new insights into civil war.
7. Lacks ability to explore "what ifs". Though you can a little you are not confident that the results could have actually happened.
8. The grain (number of geographical spaces) is a little low for my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed researching everyone's recommendations. I decided on House Divided. I was debating on the CCG that a few of you were talking about. I didn't think that deck building was a concept that my stepfather would grasp. As for Battle Cry, I will let my stepfather play my copy.

Thanks everyone!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A House Divided is a great choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.