Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Pease
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intrigued by this game but overwhelmed by the amount of information and number expansions... Can someone help me get the big picture?

a) Which version of Car is best for younger players (5-7) just starting out? I've seen recs for both Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers and for regular Carcassonne minus the farmer rule or something to that effect.

b) Which versions require other versions of the game? Which are standalone?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
H&G is a fine choice because of the fun theme and the simpler rules, but the artwork is overdone so be prepared to do a lot of explaining and reminding because it's easy to miss the gold nuggets, see where a river starts/ends, etc. Because of that, I prefer to teach vanilla Carcassonne without the farmers for new kids. After a play or two, then you can add the farmers. I also like to use the River because I think it helps get them started in looking for tile connections, and you can explain their options as they go, so that by the time you're done with the river, they're off to a good start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Meridian wrote:
I'm intrigued by this game but overwhelmed by the amount of information and number expansions... Can someone help me get the big picture?

a) Which version of Car is best for younger players (5-7) just starting out? I've seen recs for both Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers and for regular Carcassonne minus the farmer rule or something to that effect.

b) Which versions require other versions of the game? Which are standalone?

Thanks.

Check out my geeklist at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

My 2 older sons (6 and 8) played the basic game with the farmer rule; the 6YO needed some coaching during the game to put his tiles at the right place I wrote a session report of our game with my 2 kids.

In our case we choose the basic set, but the Hunter and Gatherers (green box) would do, as it is set in a pre-historic theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you have one vote for Ark, and one vote for H&G, and now I'm going to go ahead and vote for the original Carcassonne itself.

To answer your questions about, which are standalone and which are expansions:

Stand-alone games (that I know of):

1) Carcassonne (2000)
2) Carcassonne - Hunters and Gatherers (2002
3) Carcassonne - The Castle (2003)
4) Ark of the Covenant (2003)
5) Carcassonne - The City (2004)
6) Carcassonne - The Discovery (2005)

Expansions to the original Carcassonne (that I know of):

1) Carcassonne - The River (2001)
2) Carcassonne - Inns & Cathedrals (2002)
3) Carcassonne - Traders & Builders (2003)
4) Carcassonne - King & Scout (2003)
5) Count of Carcassonne (2004)
6) Carcassonne - Die Katharer (2004)
7) Carcassonne - The Princess & the Dragon (2005)
8) Carcassonne - Der Fluss II (2005)
9) Carcassonne - The Tower (2006)

I think that the original Carcassonne is best for younger players because it is so expandable. You can start them off with the basic game without using farmers, and just using knights, thieves, and monks. After they've played a bunch, then you can add in farmers, which aren't really too hard once you get the hang of them. Then after a year or two perhaps, or whenver they're ready, you can pick up an expansion or two (which are rather inexpensive). The game can grow with them, as you introduce Inns/Cathedrals, then Traders/Builders, and eventually try out King/Scout or the Count or Princess/Dragon. This really seems like a great opportunity to introduce them to a great game at an early age, and if you go with the original Carcassonne then they won't grow out of it because the game can evolve and grow with them.

Enjoy! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If you want a game system expansible for children and adults, then go for base Carcassonne. If you want a basic game is worth playing, but is nothing more than it immediately presents, then go for Ark of the Covenant if your kids are younger, or if you kids are in the teens, then go for Carcassonne the City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The City is standalone and worked very well when we played with two smart 8 year olds (one a Eurogamer, the other a European. Both kids like chess, so they are used to thinking strategically.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunters & Gatherers.

Farmer scoring becomes "meadow" scoring, and is done by number of animals in your field ... much simpler for kids to "get"

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
There are also lots of Carcassonne-like games for young players, such as "The Legend of Landlock" (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3404) or "La Guerre des Moutons" aka "Wooly Bully" (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3243) that may hold more appeal while introducing them to the tile laying concept.

I support this recommendation. The themes for these 2 games will be more appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.