GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,109 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Stalin's War» Forums » General

Subject: Good game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gian Carlo Ceccoli
San Marino
Dogana, Repubblica San Marino
Repubblica San Marino
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bought about 2 yrs ago SW and I only played a couple of games. I had read no positive reviews recently.
Now, I feel like a simple simulation on the Russian front, and I placed the new SW: beautiful, simple, various chrome .... and a carddriven!
I used the rules changed and I believe that now the game is balanced, especially for the first round which saw the species for the first round which saw the German far ahead. I think SW is good, I have also played No retreat!, but I was not thrilled .........
Honestly, I do not understand the low rating of the game. Perhaps the GMT should push more 'title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
We played Star Fluxx, Star Munchkin, Dixit, and, of course, Bomb Alley.
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear you liked the game. Any East Front game with Rough terrain at Valdai hills (usually it's mountains on par with Caucasus) deserves credit.

I played three games per the living rules, and each time the Germans failed to make it over the Paulus line in time for the game to continue (no, I was on the receiving end only twice). That likely put the game on hold for me. But I still feel I should give the game another chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has a low rating because there are so many better cdgs out there that did not come so flawed out of the box. Also, this game is not Raicer's shining moment of glory, as he has made many games that are actually good, so people prefer those. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a bold concept. But ultimately, you start to notice that your decisions in the game are limited too much and victories start to feel hollow play it a few more times before deciding it is so great.

This is the only CDG I've ever played that I hated. The only one. That says a lot, too, since I really love card games, almost to a fault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game in shrink in a trade a year or two ago and it has just sat there on my shelf. But just yesterday I pulled it out and thought it looked intriguing. The scale looks perfect for what I think a Russian Front game should be. I have recently played about ten games of No Retreat! The Russian Front and while I like it I'm not sure it is my ultimate east front game. I think I may take this one out for a spin soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Frans
United States
Mukilteo
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GC58 wrote:
I had read no positive reviews recently.
Now, I feel like a simple simulation on the Russian front, and I placed the new SW: beautiful, simple, various chrome ....

Honestly, I do not understand the low rating of the game.

I wrote a similar review of this game a while back with the same sentiment. Unfortunately, I don't get to play it often but it is a very underrated game and I think about how I might get it to the table pretty often!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gian Carlo Ceccoli
San Marino
Repubblica San Marino
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that if the few positive reviews are linked to the balancing factor of the game, they are not credible.
I have about 400 simulations and many of them, especially the most historic THAT ........... I am not very balanced!
About No retreat, the high ranking of BBG is perhaps obtained "for the usual" reason: the large number of visitors to BGG is primarily a people fond of "Eurogames", most of simulations.
Without taking anything away from these players, it is clear that in the face of games / simulations deeper they prefer games more affordable.

Finally, SW is definitely not one of the projects of milgiori Raicer, but I believe that the new rules can be modified to balance the game.
I do not see very easy for the giocatre German, break through the Russian lines ..........

P.S.
because it was never intended a more backward position BEGINNING 1941 by the Germans? It 's strange to start with the units that are already in contact .......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gian Carlo Ceccoli
San Marino
Repubblica San Marino
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I insist again, 'cause I'm playing a few games.
The system works, a few stones, small map, nice graphics. Subsystems such as movement, combat, blitz, supply, are excellent. The cards, then, as in any carddriven worthy of the name, enter "in history".

I recommend to try the game.
Played a few games and you will appreciate its potential.

Only flaw: a couple of scenarios on interesting periods, for example the 1942 with the front at Stalingrad or the 1943, with the final stages of Russian counter-attack.
Some passionate has them prepared?

Finally, I have read that the game like just because it is not balanced.
Mmmmmm, I have played a few historical simulations that are balanced ... ... ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vince Garner
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I'd like to weigh in with a positive review. I was confused when this game came out that it got the rap it was broken. It was not and is not. Some players were put off by the supposedly unstoppable Germans. A modicum of tactical acumen is enough to get around the blitz ability of the German. This and Empire of the Sun are "3rd generation" cdgs if you will. That alone deserves a play. With the low unit density and moderate complexity rules this game deserves play if you enjoy the east front. Once you deal with the German blitz there is a lot of game to enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gian Carlo Ceccoli
San Marino
Repubblica San Marino
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight I played my fourth game on the game. I lost (&&?!? && € €) ........ the last two, both with the Germans with the Russians! In any case, I do not think I'm in agreement with I read about the little balance.

I do not think German is far ahead. The Russian has to play very, very well for the first 6 rounds, waiting for the cards Total War.

The sector more 'dangerous for the Russian, and' one to the Caucasus, if the German made a breakthrough in the field, the game is' very compromised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario vallee
Canada
montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
*Vive L'Empereur!*
badge
Napoléon 1
mbmbmbmbmb
I just start playing SW now and I find it's a good game. I like to take a few year before I try new games. I always wait at lease for the ''living rules'' update. I learn my lesson well. There is Always rules mistake in new release games. And because there is so many new game to play, I start to wait years before give anything a try. I will probably play ''Won by the Sword'' by the end of next year. Plus I have so many games on my back burner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.