Subject: 2 first-time players, open scoring, interesting endgame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Howe
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Rich and I played this, both for the first time (although I had played a run-through using the Java version to learn the rules), using open scoring. We both initially we're sure what consituted good plays, but I got my leaders on the board quicker than he did and started collecting victory points. A green/black monument was built, and a couple of internal conflicts were then fought in that kingdom, leaving each of us in control of one color. In the middle game, it became apparent that red victory points were going to be a bottleneck for both of us, since we had far fewer of those than of any other color, and Rich controlled two kingdoms with more total temples in them than my one large kingdom. He linked his two kingdoms together and pushed toward me. I thought I was going to fall to the "great red coup," but I noticed that I could use a disaster tile to isolate his red leader from the rest of the kingdom, and this gave me enough time to add red to my kingdom. In the next few turns I built two monuments containing red and took a substantial lead in red victory points. At this point there were three treasures left on the board, and I ended the game by linking our two kingdoms, giving him a red point in the process, and then resolving two external conflicts, black and green, both in his favor. He was then awarded a treasure (which from my interpretation of the rules he could not refuse), bringing the total on the board down to two and ending the game. At game's end, there were still many tiles left in the bag, and I had no leaders on the board, but I had two more red victory points then he did and therefore won the game by losing the final battle, and losing it quite badly. Interesting, although a bit gamey. I wonder if the game shouldn't be played all the way out to the last tile regardless of how many treasures remain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.