Smash Up» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Finally won at 2-player game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
flag msg tools
So excited! I finally beat my husband at Smash Up, and I did it twice in a row!

Granted, we've now played a total of 5 times, but I was feeling very discouraged about the game. The first 2 games we played just us and he trounced me soundly. The third time we played with friends and while I didn't do the worst, they were new players still trying to figure out the game so my husband focused on stopping my strategies at every turn.

But finally, last night, something clicked. Not sure what, but I started to see opportunities that I hadn't seen before. I got the same score both games: 16 points to his 10.

In the first game, I played Alien goo Pirates arrrh vs his Trickster Ninjas ninja. This was not a game I thought I'd win at all because for most of the game, he was shutting me down very effectively. He got many of the good Trickster and Ninja actions that either got rid of my minions or produced effects that made it less than desirable for me to compete with him. He managed to get a few bases all on his own with the Trickster actions the make opponents discard a card if they put a minion on the base. But by mid-game, he wasn't getting what he needed, since most of it was in his discard. At that point I was finally able to get the Aliens and Pirates to work together.

I scored several VP by destroying my own guys on that one base that gives you a VP for every minion is destroyed. In fact, one of his cards helped me. I had a minion on the base that he had poisoned, which lowered his power to 0. I then played the pirate card that let you destroy one of your minions and every minion of an opponent's that has power equal or less than the destroyed minion. But since it had 0 power, it only killed itself. And then when it got to scoring the base, I got the first place points and won the game.

The second game, I played Robot robot Pirates arrrh vs his Dino Zombies zombie. The beginning of this games also didn't look good for me, but similar to the first game, his cards didn't give him what he needed in the mid-game. While he still slowed me down, I was finally able to see opportunities to get ahead, even if some weren't exactly how I wanted to go. So I simply persevered and managed to win. Though it was strange how the score ended up the same as the first game. And it was the same base too with earning VP for each destroyed minion. Guess that was my lucky base last night.

I'm really liking the Pirates, but the Robots and Aliens come in as my next favorite. But my husband is deadly with control decks like the Wizards, Tricksters and Ninjas.

It still feels that the randomness is more of a determining factor in a 2-player game than with more players. But I think we're going to keep playing it 2-player now that we're both getting to understand the game and cards better. It certainly feels great to finally get it and win. Though I expect my husband to bounce back next time and really get me, probably with Wizards and Ninjas. But that's okay, I think I'll try Robots and Zombies again. Those decks seemed to work very well in the multi-player game we played, but I'd want to try it again just against him to see how it goes. But I have faith that my goozombie minions will annihilate whatever forces he brings to bear! Mwahahaha! devil
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.