GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,720 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
46 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » AWOL

Subject: "Can of worms" or "Where do you stand on the political spectrum?" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about the misconceptions some have regarding wargaming so I'm curious to know...

Poll
Where do you stand on the political spectrum?
Far left
Left
Middle/Neutral
Right
Far Right
      172 answers
Poll created by Siouxfire

* If you're not sure, Middle/Neutral is the "catch all"

And remember...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Different countries have different political spectra. UK and Europe is well to the left of USA, for example.

Also, the poll is somewhat one-dimensionsal. Economic liberals are not necessarily social liberals and vice versa...

When I was a teenager my mother would say I was rightwing about everything except issue X and my father would say I was leftwing about everything except issue Y, and they were both right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I often describe myself as right wing leftest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q : "Where do you stand on the political spectrum?"

A : I Stand Here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Different countries have different political spectra. UK and Europe is well to the left of USA, for example.

Also, the poll is somewhat one-dimensionsal. Economic liberals are not necessarily social liberals and vice versa...

To be sure, a poll on a forum is not scientific but the answers are in terms of the people who answer for themselves rather than in any global terms. If you were to look through history you would find people on the right/left who showed right/left-wing tendencies but that didn't distort their own vision of themselves.

For the record, I don't think it makes a jot of difference to our hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be in RSP not here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No answer, and I'm suspicious of anybody who claims to live on a point on this spectrum. Nobody with functioning brain cells and the ability to think rationally who has actually formed their own opinions instead of adopting those of others can always be "on the left" or "on the right" or "conservative" or "liberal" or even "in the middle".

To paraphrase quote Chris Rock (because he says it way better than I ever could):

"Everybody's so busy wanting to be down with the gang. "I'm conservative", "I'm liberal", "I'm conservative". Bullshit! Be a fucking person! Lis-ten! Let it swirl around your head. Then form your opinion. No normal, decent person is one thing, okay? I've got some shit I'm conservative about, I've got some shit I'm liberal about. Crime, I'm conservative. Prostitution, I'm liberal!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:

I gotta say, this is pretty pure RSP, not RSP relating to the military or history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:

It is specifically wargamers whose opinion I'm after. I don't think it matters a bit where people are politically in terms of our hobby but I've found some not in the hobby characterise it differently than we do. The results thus far seem to show we're a varied and balanced bunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally base my opinions on those people I admire the most.....THE VIKINGS!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you answer this in a certain way on a German Forum chances are high you get banned for your honest answer.

So much about the Freedom of Speech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Siouxfire wrote:
billyboy wrote:

It is specifically wargamers whose opinion I'm after.

I agree completely with this thread. If someone wants to do a survey on the opinion of wargamers on a specific topic, he has to post the survey in the wargame subdomain, and nowhere else, because this is where the BGG wargamers are ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q : "Where do you stand on the political spectrum?"

A : On the Shoulder of Giants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
I`m a pretty traditional Roman Catholic. I`m not certain how one would classify me politically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
I`m a pretty traditional Roman Catholic. I`m not certain how one would classify me politically.

Are we talking Mother Teresa style traditional Catholic, the Torquemada style traditional Catholic or somewhere in the middle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We seem to have the "R" and the "P" covered. Anybody wanna mention their sex life now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Let it swirl around your head. Then form your opinion."

That's what 'in the Middle' means to me, Chuck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Kluvon wrote:

Are we talking Mother Teresa style traditional Catholic, the Torquemada style traditional Catholic or somewhere in the middle?

Indecision would make him a Roamin' Catholic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much for so long with so little, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be interested to see the overall results. But I sure don't want to know where individuals fall on the spectrum. I've already formed my biased, unfair, and small-minded opinions of you all based on your posting styles and game preferences.

I don't want to have to revise them based on something as unimportant to wargaming as political leanings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
whac3 wrote:
Kluvon wrote:

Mostly by the book. Life is to be supported so that alternatives need not be chosen; salvation is up to God, and I think he might very well save everyone; the Church`s preference is to the poor; liberty comes with obligation; usury is a sin; &c. I`m not sure what the Church means by homosexuality being disordered and I think this is a teaching which will change with time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mb
Siouxfire wrote:
billyboy wrote:

It is specifically wargamers whose opinion I'm after. I don't think it matters a bit where people are politically in terms of our hobby but I've found some not in the hobby characterise it differently than we do. The results thus far seem to show we're a varied and balanced bunch.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt by putting this into AWOL instead of RSP, but this does by strict letter of the guidelines belong in RSP and may well yet end up there.

It did the last time someone posted essentially the same poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Toto, we`re no longer in Kansas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
Toto, we`re no longer in Kansas.

Think of RSP as over the rainbow, while AWOL is just Nebraska.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
HONOLULU
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd feel insulted to be dragged down to the political level, but thank the gods I have no feelings about politics! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologise to anyone who was insulted by this thread. Honestly, I did not mean to offend and the results seem to show that we are a more balanced bunch overall than most countries. To me, this augments my already high respect for the members of this forum so I hope anyone who found this distasteful will accept my humble apologies for any upset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.