GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,433 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm» Forums » General

Subject: Rewriting Blank Cards Without Damage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hughie Mcgee
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
Disclaimer: While this method works well, there is no perfect way to rewrite and edit blank cards. With this method, realistically you can expect 2-3 rewrites before seeing alterations in card color and texture.

I've been working on my blank cards for a couple weeks, and now that I'm nearly done, I have some advice on taking marker to card. Since I like to playtest every card I make, I needed a way to erase all previous markings without leaving any trace. These are the dos and donts I have run into.

Things you need:
-black and red dry-erase markers(I used the brand "Quartet")
-non-abrasive paper towel
-non-abrasive sponge or other material(I used a piece of high-density foam)
-Simple Green(or similar low-concentration cleaner)
-cup of water
-hair-dryer or convectional(air-pushing) space heater

Marking cards with dry-erase marker is the key to making custom editable cards. However, to not damage your cards you must pay closest attention to how you clean them.

Do NOT use water or spit. These will not always remove all the marker and can damage your cards permanently.
Spray some Simple Green(is there anything it can't do!) directly onto the markings you wish to erase.
Wipe with your non-abrasive material, and the marker will be removed.
Do NOT wipe with the rough side of a sponge or any abrasive materials or you run the high risk of removing the color and damaging the structure of the card.

Once marker has been removed, clean off the remaining Simple Green by wiping with a wet towel.
Keep your hair-dryer or space heater nearby. If you get too liberal with the wet towel, the edges of the card will swell with water.
Dry card by wiping on non-abrasive dry material(your shirt), then dry card with hair-dryer or space heater.
Do NOT cook your cards. The point here is just to avoid water damage to the card. Over-drying can cause cards to bend and shape oddly.

While I have caused damage to some of my cards by trial and error, none of these cards turned out unplayable. The worst damage came from keeping a card wet with water for too long. Part of this card became flimsy. Luckily, when dried, the card regained its durability. RftG has the highest quality cards I have ever played with, and I am grateful.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or...

Sleeve all cards
Print personalization on paper
Slip paper in front of card within sleeve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.