GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,267 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

1955: The War of Espionage» Forums » General

Subject: 1955 vs. Cold War: CIA vs. KGB rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Populi
msg tools
mb
Hello gamers,

I'm looking for a Cold War card game, and am trying to decide between 1955 and FFG's Cold War. It's probably a long shot to assume you've played both, but I'm hoping that at least a couple of you have.

What are the strengths of each game? What's the strategy/luck balance in each game?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had 1955 for a few months, and your post inspired me to get it played meeple Keep in mind that I've now played 1955 once and Cold War only half of a time.

1955 is pretty cute. I had a good time of it. I'd say that as a new player, it felt more tactical at the beginning and more luck-based at the end. The endgame seems like it can get into a bit of a stalemate that relies a lot on lucky draws. However, with more experience, I think a little better eye on strategy would be possible to help mitigate the heavy reliance on luck for the last few turns. I did get at least a little bit of an espionage feel out of the game. For an abstract-like game, it integrates pretty well with the theme.

Cold War is... well, my wife's review follows: "Cold War is a game that shouldn't be played." It doesn't feel Cold War-like at all, and the gameplay felt almost more luck-based than blackjack, on which the game is clearly based. I wish I had some strengths to add, but "it's cheap as hell and very small" is about the best I can come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Cold War is... well, my wife's review follows: "Cold War is a game that shouldn't be played." It doesn't feel Cold War-like at all, and the gameplay felt almost more luck-based than blackjack, on which the game is clearly based. I wish I had some strengths to add, but "it's cheap as hell and very small" is about the best I can come up with.

I really enjoy Cold War: CIA vs KGB because it is so streamlined.

You really haven't played CIA vs KGB until:

You've pulled of a Master Spy maneuver successfully
You've BLUFFED a Master Spy maneuver and the other person squirmed out of it and lost.
You've done an Analyst Action but not had the Balance Marker and your opponent chose 'right' (or 'wrong').

There is a lot of depth in CIA vs KGB.

-=-=-

Haven't played 1955, so cannot offer comparison. I'm just reacting to the quoted text above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
You really haven't played CIA vs KGB until:

You've pulled of a Master Spy maneuver successfully
You've BLUFFED a Master Spy maneuver and the other person squirmed out of it and lost.
You've done an Analyst Action but not had the Balance Marker and your opponent chose 'right' (or 'wrong').

There is a lot of depth in CIA vs KGB.

Heh, that is completely not the type of gameplay I look for in any game. That's a very interesting data point-- if you like playing games where you have to read your opponents and figure out what they're thinking, Cold War might be great for you. If you'd much rather read the game state itself, stay far away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cold War was all about bluffing, counter bluffing and keeping the opponent (the other country) guessing.

CW:CvK does that quite well.

The point is playing half a game and not discovering the meta-game beneath the mechanics really doesn't do this game justice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.