Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Killoran
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 6:45 on New Year's eve. My original plan to game with my wife and son has been amended suddenly to include the family of one of my gaming buddies. I'm sure we can work something out, but I thought I would test the geek forums' rapid response capabilities by asking for suggestions. Here's the breakdown:

2 gamers
2 wives, one is a gamer and one is NOT.
1 9 year old girl
1 7 year old girl
1 7 year old boy
(All kids are budding gamers)
1 decent sized game collection
5 hours till midnight!

Any suggestions welcome, and happy new year to all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6 nimmt!
Carbande
Mystery of the Abbey?

Thos jump out at me from a very quick scan of your collection. I am sure there are others though .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy calls: 6 nimmt, Frank's Zoo, Carabande

Less-easy calls: Bohnanza, Bang.

I wouldn't think so: Formula Dé

I'm looking for nice and simple rulesets, to not overload your nongamer and to keep the little ones interested. Frank's Zoo can be fun with the kids, and if you need to, you can eliminate the lion and hedgehog scoring and just go with the basic dump-your-hand cardplay. 6 nimmt explains really easily, and while the kids may not quite get the hang of the "strategy" (IMO, it's more like 'heuristics'), it has enough surprise moments that they should enjoy it at least once. And Carabande seems like it should be great fun for the kids (provided they have enough physical control to keep their disks on the track).

Both Bohnanza and Bang may have too many niggly rules and irritate the non-gamer. A lot depends on just how willing she is to try this evening. I'm not sure that Formula Dé would be straightforward enough for the little ones.

Just some thoughts. Hope it works out, and Happy New Year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marquis
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Apples to Apples. Just take out the cards that aren't kid-friendly.
Quiddler. Great little word card game for all ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Schoemaker
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassone

Heroscape

Guillotine

Puerto Rico

All games we played at my brother's this week. Age 4 to 44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I add Diamant to these suggestions and heartily second Guillotine (need to pair some people up). What about Bang? Haven't played it, but sounds like it fits the niche. Liar's Dice/Perudo? Nobody But Us Chickens could be a blast -- don't remember if it plays 6 or 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
wweelllll? So what did you guys play? Inquiring Geeks wanna know!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Killoran
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, folks, for the suggestions! We began with several games of Frank's Zoo, and followed it up with some Bull's Eye Ball. 6 Nimmt! was the last game all 7 of us played together...as the kids began to nod off, they retired to fall asleep in front of a Madagascar DVD. We then played one game of Can't Stop and several rounds of Mah Jongg on the grounds that both games were champagne-spill-proof. All in all, a great way to say goodbye to 2005!

P.S. I was VERY impressed with the fast & sound suggestions! BGG rocks as usual!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.