Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks, I also tried to do some home made control markers for FRIEDRICH. Now, let me state I don't think there is anything wrong with the postcard type markers. Rather, my euro-game-ish desire for nice bits launched me into this arts and crafts project. Now my arts and crafts skills are not that good, so it's very possible you may be able to do better. If the BGG admins cooperate, I will have some images uploaded shortly.

The first thing was finding just the right shape of marker. The best thing I could find at the local craft store were plastic letter tiles (blank on the back). There were 3/8 inch wooden cubes, but the profile was too similar to the supply trains. For similar reasons, I rejected cylinder shapes due to their similarity with army leader pieces.

I settled on nominally 1/2 inch letter tiles from the Paper Bliss brand. (They were USD $2.99 for 50 tiles in a package.) The tiles turned out to be slightly larger (almost 14 mm) and rounded on the edges. I seem to remember somewhere the designer saying that he wanted 10mm tiles, but that they were much more expensive than 15mm ones. IMHO, they turned out to be a pretty good size without getting too unwieldy (even in Saxony).

Now these particular tiles did seem to have some stray marks on the edges, so I carefully sorted the cleanest tiles to use. The other thing I tried was using both black and cream (off white) colored tiles. The idea was to distinguish 1st order (black tiles) and 2nd order (cream tiles) objectives at a glance without moving the marker to see the board. I also made the Prussian Offensive Option ones cream colored. So cream color tiles really mean that the objective is conditional in some way. I could have reversed the tile colors, but I thought the contrast with the Prussian color was best against the off white. Also lumping the Prussians with 2nd order objectives allowed me to stay within the constraints of the quanity 50 packages. In the end, I used 42 black and 28 cream colored tiles.

I printed the control marker artwork on white labels at about 30% larger than the postcard to match these tiles. The marker artwork covers the letters on the tiles but leaves a small border to outline the artwork. Originally, I was going to put on labels on both sides, but in my laziness I thought of a reason to only do one side. I am thinking of placing face down tiles on objectives which can be subsequent conquests. If after combat, the objectives are indeed conqured, then the tiles are flipped up; otherwise they are removed.

More discussion to follow if the images are accepted ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rohrer
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I solved the control marker problem by going to the local craft store and buying a bunch of small, wooden car wheels. I painted them the appropriate colors to match the blocks and have been using them. I eventually will glue on scans of the postcard markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, since the images are uploaded now, here are some additional comments. (Click on the pictures for a larger view.)

First, the raw materials. This first photo shows the packages of letter tiles (both cream color and black) and the 30% enlarged label sheet (next to the postcard). If you want to try this yourself, the second photo shows the product info for the letter tiles. I got mine at the MICHAEL'S craft store chain.

This next picture shows the results next to some unlabeled letter tiles. I also show what the blank backs look like. The black (A) row are used for 1st order objectives (except Prussians). The cream color (B) row are used for conditional objectives: 2nd order objectives and the Prussian Offensive Option.

Here are the tiles on the board with some other pieces. Now this is not a real game situation, but I did want to show each piece contrasted with the background it normally would have. So I have shown the markers for France, Russia and Sweeden against Prussian territory, though there are no actual matching objectives at those locations. I also purposely showed the area in Saxony that has closely spaced objectives to show how the markers fit there.

The point of this photo is to show an example where the blank back can be used to mark a possible subsequent conquest. If the Russian general can force a large enough retreat of the Prussian force, then the black marker can be flipped face up. Otherwise, the face down marker will be removed.

Finally, this photo shows how the markers work when stacking happens. The tiles are slightly larger than the leader pieces and the trains, so I put them on the bottom. Of course, this is not a real game situation as the Prussian objectives are not in Prussia. But I put the stacks there for better contrast in the photo (Austrian territory is white and the Prussian tiles are off white).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work!

A few questions regarding this project:

1) What type of paper did you print the 30% enlarged control markers on?

2) What type of adhesive did you use to affix the enlarged control markers onto the square plastic chips?

3) Do you still have your scan of the control markers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The postcard was color photocopied directly onto a full sheet white adhesive label (at 30% larger size). So the paper/adhesive is just whatever was in that full sheet label. And so I don't have a scanned file. But I think the Histogame website does have a scan there somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.