Subject: how often does the world succumb to disaster? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering how often do you play games where everyone loses? My group has about 6-7 plays of this and haven't really come all that close to losing the game. Now we are fairly experienced gamers and in truth our group makes a concious effort to ensure we don't all lose, but I was just wondering other people's experiences with this game.

How often do you play a game of CO2 and all players lose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far all the new players crash the game on their first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Indru
Romania
Timisoara
Timis
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eviltofu wrote:

That's not exactly true.
But if you play your first game in a 4 or 5 player configuration, then chances are your efforts will be difficult to coordinate.

Start with 2 or 3 and see how easy it is to save the planet.
Then move to a higher count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djdano wrote:
eviltofu wrote:

That's not exactly true.
But if you play your first game in a 4 or 5 player configuration, then chances are your efforts will be difficult to coordinate.

Start with 2 or 3 and see how easy it is to save the planet.
Then move to a higher count.

or pre select less polluting starting power plants as suggested in the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

5 P game, with majority of new players, standard rules, I have seen it happen once.

With the Arctic expansion, on the other hand, I think it's likely to occur more often than not, even with experienced players. So, if you think the game's too easy, try taking on the Arctic Expansion which so far (at least solitaring it) I haven't been able to beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Bithalver
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eviltofu wrote:

I do not think so. We played only once with 4p, and we stopped at 470ppm max; only in the beginning of the 3rd decade had we the small chance to go over 500ppm.

We started with 170ppm, so it looks an average to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Weber wrote:
5 P game, with majority of new players, standard rules, I have seen it happen once.

Our first 5-player game the other night was a 4.5 hour marathon, with 3 new players and a couple AP-prone ones. I don't recommend playing your first game with five. Also, it seems obvious that the 5-player game is easier to crash because there are only 10 action rounds per decade where there are 12 in a game with 3 or 4 players. We came within 10 ppm (490) of crashing out at the start of Decade 4.

One suggestion I have for a 5-player game is to start with 3 ARs for players in the first decade, then 2 every decade after. This would help build more plants the first round or two and yield roughly the same number of ARs as the 3p or 4p game by the end of the 2nd and 3rd decade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Weber wrote:

With the Arctic expansion, on the other hand, I think it's likely to occur more often than not, even with experienced players. So, if you think the game's too easy, try taking on the Arctic Expansion which so far (at least solitaring it) I haven't been able to beat.

Ditto (although I "solo'd" two games of four players), hence this post: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/25264910#25264910

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has never happened in any of my games played. It has come close within 30 ppm in a 4-player game where all the new players had little to no regard of working together and doing their own thing. I insisted on everyone working together or everyone loses. They quickly changed gears and then it dawned on some of them how the dynamics of the game change as they were getting money (essentially 0.5 VP) and a free expertise or summit visit from the scientist kick-out action.

I can't remember if I have every played a 5-player game. Vital said it isn't the optimal player count and was only added by the publisher insisting on it being included. However, the 5-player count forces everyone to play co-operatively due to having less actions per decade or else the game will most likely end by global disaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night we did a 3-player game, with the Arctic Expansion. We survived without needing to use my easier variant mainly because our fossil fuel plant draws were very forgiving: we started the game with 4 x 20 ppm + 2 x 30 ppm and IIRC only added 3 x 40 ppm during the ensuing decades. Ended in 4th decade due to the ppm dropping below the danger point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never, although all our games have been with 2 players. We do use Arctic expansion but never came close to us losing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.