GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,355 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Claustrophobia» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Rushing down and to the right rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
10th play with my partner, the 6th at Survivors. She's playing Demons. Me, Humans.

On this game I got many rolls with 5/2, so Redeemer is using Precognition (or Courage) massively, at the time he's standing with good defence (5). And lots of straight tunnels (with no junctions) appear.

On the first roll, I got a 5 so I check the first 3 tiles: 2 hungry tunnels (a T-shape one and a straight one) and a dead end. In order to get rid of them before Demon gathers too much forces, I decide to cross them as soon as possible (not speculating by exploring out of BOFA), so Redeemer places the T-shape Hungry tunnel next to the Pentacle and moves on to it. 2-MOV Blade crosses the T-Hungry and places a Dead-end. The other blade moves to the T-Hungry with Redeemer while the Brute stays on the Pentacle. From now on, only straight tunnels appear. Not a single junction, never. So I leave the Brute on the Pentacle all game long (to prevent trogs from entering the map), while advancing with the two blades and the Redeemer. If any junction appeared, I would have moved the Brute onwards.

The first Threat Phase: my partner brings in 3 trogs in the T-shape Hungry Tunnel (where I have my Redeemer and Blade) with a 7 on her dice. Redeemer is DEF-5, while Blade has DEF-4. She rolls only one hit (double though) to the blade... lucky me.

On my next rolls, I'm always giving the Brute the highest defence die. Since no junctions appear, Demons should spent 2 dice to get 7 everytime they want to get in. And when she does, she does not keep the third in Calm before the Storm, so her next round is much weaker.

Two straight hole-in-grounds tiles appear, but in my opinion she didn't place the hole tokens right: I think she should have placed one of the hole tokens on the Pentacle room, so that the Impressive talent of the Brute didn't prevent the trogs from moving away (if they appeared on the PR). But she didn't. Another fatal mistake from her part.

On a threat phase, she plays a Critical Impact card to block the Redeemer's Aura of Courage/Precog, but I've got a Lucky Amulet (?) that allows me to cancel an Event card . I don't give her a chance... and whenever she comes in with trogs, she's not lucky enough with dice rolls: By the time BOFA dice is at 8, Brute and Redeemer have only one wound, Blunderbuss two wounds and Blondie has three. Redeemer is rolling 5 most of the time (or 2), and I'm getting afraid because no junction appears and I fear a dead end making the heroes walk the long dungeons backwards.

When Redeemer and Blunderbuss reached the 9th tile (Blondie was on tile 7), she brought the Underground Hunter to attack the 2 wounded Blade (Blunderbuss) with 3 dice, on a last resort. If she kills him, she still may have a chance, but the blade doesn't get a single wound.

On my next Initiative phase, Redeemer is going to explore the 10 tile, but I do not roll any 5. Fortunately, previously I found a card on a chest abandoned in the dungeon (that I kept for the harsh times) that allows me to change a die . So I choose 5 for Redeemer. When I check the tiles, I see a dead-end (that would have broken the humans) a T-trap and Demonic Mechanism-elbow. So I pick the latter, placing it at the end of a 9-tile-lenght straight tunnel, turning on the right to EXIT:

2-1-P
] 3 [
] 4 [
] 5 [
] 6 [
] 7 [
] 8 [
] 9 [
E-10[

(P and E stand for Pentacle Room and Exit tile, respectively).

At that turn, Blunderbuss has 2-MOV, so first he kills the Underground hunter and reaches the exit.

The next turn, she can't go in with trogs, so I reach the exit tile with a victorious Redeemer. She was angry at her luck, so we stopped playing even though I had 2 warriors on the Dungeon trying to escape.

The Brute stood until the end in the Pentacle Room

It was a hard game for her (I walked always forward, never turning or backwards, and she was not very lucky in dice rolls), but in my opinion she could have done things better:
- In at least 3 or 4 turns she didn't save a die in Calm Before the Storm (so her next turn was with only 3 dice).
- She should have bought/played much more Event cards (she only bought 5 or 6 and only played 3).
- She could have used 11 (Burrowing monsters) to appear in the empty tunnels with lots of trogs, but she only used 7, and since there was only 1 open space (there where Redeemer and Blades were exploring) she could enter with a maximum of 3 trogs.

Well, that's it.
I'll try to add a picture asap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Session Report! Thank you for taking the time to write it!

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dharzen wrote:
It was a hard game for her (I walked always forward, never turning or backwards, and she was not very lucky in dice rolls)...

Please assure her that the order in which the tiles appeared was quite unlucky for her as well. There are 36 tiles in the game, and leaving aside the Pentacle and Exit they are equally divided between continuing non-branching tunnels (17) and others (11 branching and 6 dead ends for 17 total). Getting 7 non-branching in a row leading to the Exit is a dream come true for the Humans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments and feedback!

Yes Sphere, I tried to explain my lucky draw to her after the game, but she was so frustrated that she didn't listen (and I understand, so I didn't insist).
I'll try to explain again, maybe letting her read your support messages.
By the way, thanks for the gg

Quote:
I agree with the synopsis about the hole in the ground being perhaps ill-placed.

Definitely. Should the hole in ground be placed on the PR, whenever she rolled a 7 she could have entered 8 trogs at once (5 at the PR and 3 more where Redeemer and blades were exploring). Those 5 trogs at the PR could automatically move inside the tunnels (as there were 2 holes in ground, there were 4 places connected).

Quote:
I can't really fault the demon player for not buying more events/stashing the extra dice. Having to pay two dice just to get trogs into play really makes life difficult for the demon.

Hmmm, when I play demons I always leave a die (the least useful) in Calm Before the Storm so that I can play around with 3 useful dice. Usually, only once in the whole game I use the 4 dice, and when I do is to assure great damage.
As I said before, instead of using 7 many turns (spending 2 dice), she should have saved a die and saved TP and use/force only one 11 to infest the dungeons in a single turn, or placed the hole-in-ground in PR and enter with 8 trogs, forcing a 7.
Moreover, she should have pushed more Events, to get possessions, terror, panic, tough trogs... but she didn't. Every turn she wanted to get in, spending two dice (for 7), so she could only use one die to get TP or events.

I mean, I was lucky with the draw, I know. But on my second game I played demons and lost against her in a game like this (she escaped the 4 humans). Firstly I blamed luck (draw and rolls). Then I tried to think about what could be done different, and those things I just explained here-above came to my mind. And since then I have them in my mind, either playing humans or demons . I really believe that Luck can be minimized. In an insane-draw like this, maybe she wouldn't win, but she could have hurt me much better.

At the beginning of the post, I say that this was the 6th game on Survivors with her (of a total of 10 games). Right, of those 6, we tied the first one, she won the 2nd and 3rd (with demons and humans, respectively) and I've won the last 3 games (with humans twice and demons once). I think I've grasped the tactics of the game, at least on this scenario, knowing when to hold, save and defend, and when to release, rush and attack.

From my point of view, the Demon side should play those Survivors scenarios with no(/few) branchings like this: "wait... wait... wait... ATTAAAAAACK!!!"; comboing events + TP (instead of "attack, attack, attack, save").

Thanks again for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
At the beginning of the post, I say that this was the 6th game on Survivors with her (of a total of 10 games). Right, of those 6, we tied the first one, she won the 2nd and 3rd (with demons and humans, respectively) and I've won the last 3 games (with humans twice and demons once). I think I've grasped the tactics of the game, at least on this scenario, knowing when to hold, save and defend, and when to release, rush and attack.

It sounds like the games have been fairly even overall. However, it appears that you now have a bit of an edge, having learned some good tactics for success. Fantastic report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.