Subject: Bravery rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Palmer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Question about the Hawk Army Ability "Bravery". As I understand it, the only way a unit loses Bravery is related to failing a rout check. However, today I had a unit with Bravery fail a Fear Check and so it became Frightened. Should that unit have lost it's Bravery bonus ? Seems logical to me that it should have lost it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, you can lose bravery if you pass a rout check but only pass because of your bravery. If a unit with courage 12 and bravery rolls a 14 on a rout check it passes but the bravery bonus is removed.

We decided not to have fear checks result in bravery loss for a couple of reasons. From a flavor perspective, a fear check reflects a momentary loss of nerve in which troops lose some attacking strength for a turn but then pull themselves together. So once you've gotten over the shock, you're still as motivated as you were before. (Of course, the alternate flavor spin that failing a fear check would make you lose your bravery bonus also makes sense.)

From a game perspective we didn't want a player to think, "Well, I'd like to protect this unit from routing but he'll have to take a fear check and that means it may not be worth it." Basically, in playtesting we found it frustrating when a fear check eliminated the bonus so we decided that it shouldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.