GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,838 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Sourcing Prototype Parts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Weaver Project
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
publisher
mb

I am in the process of making further prototypes of the game Empires Collide to submit to reviewers and additional game testing groups to encourage support for our Kickstarter campaign. However, the components for the prototypes are...quite frankly, not aesthetically pleasing as we have not had the means to create the game components ourselves, what with moulds costing a fair amount of cash.

Can anyone advise of a good supplier of game components that represent small towns, forts, outposts, archery ranges and other such buildings. The size of the buildings are approximatley 2cmX2cmX2cm, and whilst a prorotype doesnt have to conform to this, we do require them to be less than 3Xcm3cm.

Sites such as Thegamecrafter do not have sufficient variety to conform to our requirements.

I Look forward to any comments.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend just using cardboard counters. You could try miniature lines and see what they have, but in the quantity you need, the games will start being very expensive, very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this isn't what you're asking for, but would you consider using flat markers for the prototype? You could also use a graphic design program to give them the look you want instead of having to deal with whatever bits are available from a supplier. Image files or PDFs could be printed on full-page labels.

The inexpensive approach would be to put the cut-out stickers on cardboard, such as the stuff cereal boxes are made of.

If you have to have wood components, you could try to thrift a bunch of copies of Scrabble or look for wood tiles from a supplier. I think they would be less expensive than custom buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
I would recommend just using cardboard counters. You could try miniature lines and see what they have, but in the quantity you need, the games will start being very expensive, very quickly.

Another vote for cardboard counters. you can pretty them up by printing a color graphic on a label and affixing them to the counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LEGOs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weaver Project
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Thanks for the responses guys. Currently the prototypes have used laminated card cut outs, and we then upgraded these to small buildings (monopoly style) - These are perfectly functional - I'm just trying to ascertain if there are any better options out there for this stage of the games development. A successful kickstarter campaign will provide the funds for complete moulded pieces - so its kind of a half way house I'm looking for here between the cardboard/monopoly houses and the final pieces.

I may look into utilising wooden cudes and having a colleague of mine cut them into approximate shapes and paint, maybe that'll be sufficient... any further thoughts?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.