Subject: Introduction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leonard To
Hong Kong
Wanchai
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Happy New Year! Hope all of u have a prosperous 2006.

Let me first introduce myself, I was born in the British colony of Hong Kong, studied in the States, and now living in China's "self administrative region" of Hong Kong. I've always find the modern history of China and Japan intriguing. Unlike the black and white history of Europe in WWII, the reality of Sino-Japanese War was seen quite differently by people from China, Taiwan, and Japan. Partly because of this, there has almost never been an unbiased and comprehensive account of the war in English, and thus leading to the lack of interest in it.

Nevertheless, I believe the war is significant for allies victory in the Pacific, as well as situations in the post world era. If China had surrendered, over a million Japanese soldiers would almost certainly overrun India, there would be no Flying Tigers nor Doolittle's Raid. There might even not be Pearl Harbor, cause United States might have to make peace with a Japan that controls China so as to defend its interests there. Japan would then mobilize Chinese manpower to attack Soviet Union. And I don't know what the world would be like today.....

Back to the game. It was first designed more than 20 years ago, and won the champion of the 1st Wargame Design Competition in Hong Kong in 1984. It was revised in 1991, and again recently. Unfortunately, the small market in Hong Kong means that a game of this scale can never be published locally. So when MMP shows interest in it, I am more than happy to translate it to make it available to players of the world. Using research on the enormous amount of historical data coming out from recently opened Chinese archives, I hope this newest version of the game can authentically represented both the bright and dark side of the war.

The title of the game - "War of the Suns", refers to the flags of Kuomintang China and Imperial Japan. But the game is designed with more than these 2 players in mind. It is a 3-4 players game with victory conditions for each of Japan, Kuomintang, Communists, and British Commonwealth. And maybe for the first time in gaming history: American units are either controlled by Kuomintang (Stilwell and Flying Tigers) or British player (10th Air Force).

The game covers the period from July 1937 to August 1945. The map includes most of China proper, Burma, NE India, part of Thailand and Indochina. There are one China and Indochina map, one Burma and India map, and one New Yellow River Course overlay map. Each hex represents approximately 200km across. Most of the time only map a is needed.

There are about 1,450 unit and marker counters of air, land, sea units of China, Japan, British Commonwealth, American, as well as various collaborationist army. Most Kuomintang units are army or division size, while others are mostly division or brigade size.

If anyone has any questions or comments on the game. I am always ready to answer them here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Lau
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Leonard,

I would like to hear your thoughts behind the game design, i.e., designer notes, and some of your views on game play, like the playing time of the scenarios and the campaign game and the "feel" of the game. (looks like a very detailed "monster" game that will immerse the players in the history)

I also can think of many wargamers in Singapore who are interested in the history and would look forward to playing the game.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard To
Hong Kong
Wanchai
n/a
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Game System
Although the map is very large. WotS is not as monstrous as it seems. Afterall there are only about 40 Japanese divisions in the whole theatre. You may not see a continuous frontline full of units as in the Eastern Front, but more likely actions in part of the frontline, and guerrilla fighting in the rear.

The campaign game can be long. But thre are also scenarios, the first of which covers the period form Sep 37 to Nov 38 (5 turns), from the start of all out war to the fall of Canton and Wuhan. This scenario could be finished in an evening.

Apart from being a game that can accommodate 3-4 players, there are 4 important concepts in WotS:

1. The HQ activation system - Players move units under the activated HQ. The number of activated HQ is affected by command points, the quality of HQ selected, and whether China is cut off from foreign routes. Randomness and quality of the HQ affects who moves what first.

2. The KMT replacement system - KMT units are divied into 3 levels: The elite units use imported weapons, the standard units use Chinese weapons, the local units simply buy what they find on the market. Each use a differnt way to be replaced.

3. The Political Affiliation system - Each warlord or minor country has its home territories, and may be affiliated with different players at different levels under different conditions.

4. The Guerilla System - From the set up of militia base to the unique combat system. Guerrilla from CCP, KMT, and even British player can be more than just a nuisance to the Japanese player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Sheppard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to see a sneak peek of this at ConquestNW in Seattle. Really looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arrigo Velicogna
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
how big is the map in evil european centimetres (AKA: will my table be sufficent for it?)

Arrigo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to know what the five scenarios are like--how many turns? How much estimated time to play each?

Also, I don't see it specifically anywhere, so, can this game be played with 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.