GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,336 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Lack of spoilers and updates from ffg. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J K
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one that is frustrated by the limited amount of info that ffg puts out about future cards? I check ffg everyday hoping that new info will be out for future force packs. I feel like previews would help start board activity and board activity would help spread buzz and get new people interested. I'm not expecting them to spoil every card but a weekly small article that had a new card in it would be amazing. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C L

North Carolina
msg tools
Yes and no. Personally, I would like them to write some strategy articles on the current set with hints of cards to come. For example, an article on a Imperial trooper deck that could tease the new Darth Vader. I think Decipher used to do this with the old SWCCG.

Don't get me wrong, I think the strategy section of this site, and the FFG board, as well as Tiny & Ben's podcast are really, really great. I'm talking about beginner-type articles for the people that don't really want to go digging through 100s of forum posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, but FFG knows they can just do whatever the hell they want and we'll still buy the force packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desolation of Hoth just got sent to the factory for printing recently according to their upcoming page, that means we are between 1 and 2 months away from release. Far too early to do weekly articles, especally if they do full oSets at a time. I would expect a couple articles a week or two before it is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
holliday88 wrote:
Yes and no. Personally, I would like them to write some strategy articles on the current set with hints of cards to come. For example, an article on a Imperial trooper deck that could tease the new Darth Vader. I think Decipher used to do this with the old SWCCG.

Decipher was always really good with spoilers to keep us interested (and empty our wallets). I'm excited for the new stuff for this game, kinda wishing they would show more. either way though I'm happy with FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I find your lack of spoilers disturbing."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilcoxon
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be surprised if we get another force pack announcement in the next couple of weeks. The last was about month ago and that followed the prior one by about a month.

I am new with this type of game but is it normal to expect the developer/publisher to suggest strategies? Or is that usually more of a community product? Which, to me, is being well covered between here and cardgamedb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
divedeeper wrote:
I am new with this type of game but is it normal to expect the developer/publisher to suggest strategies? Or is that usually more of a community product? Which, to me, is being well covered between here and cardgamedb.

Not so much. Just light strategy stuff, look at the other LCG announcements for examples. For instance they might mention another card that a new card they're revealing has good synergy with, that sort of thing.

But for the most part it's the community that generates most of the strategy discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit disappointed with what I perceive as their generalized lack of support overall for SW:TCG. The rules are a mess, and we have yet to receive any clarification on any of a myriad of issues. They've done little to promote upcoming force packs, and they've not offered much at all in the way of card dissection, strategy...anything. I just don't think they've promoted this game well at all. It kinda seems like it's an afterthought to their other products. Let's see, we have this LCG and this LCG and this boardgame...oh yeah, have we done anything with that SW game recently?

*edit - In retrospect, this is a bit more critical than I intended. Further elaboration later in the thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan

Circle Pines
Minnesota
msg tools
I agree! I wish they would do more releases like they Colby does with Summoner Wars. It is always fun to see what is coming down the pipe. Also it seems FFG has really pulled back the info on the cards. So we are really left guessing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surge1000 wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed with what I perceive as their generalized lack of support overall for SW:TCG. ... and they've not offered much at all in the way of card dissection, strategy...anything.

So are you saying that all this stuff exists for their other LCGs? Or just that you wish they did more articles and stuff in general?

Personally, for where the game is at I have no complaints. You'll likely see more news posts once the Force Packs start arriving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Surge1000 wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed with what I perceive as their generalized lack of support overall for SW:TCG. ... and they've not offered much at all in the way of card dissection, strategy...anything.

So are you saying that all this stuff exists for their other LCGs? Or just that you wish they did more articles and stuff in general?

Personally, for where the game is at I have no complaints. You'll likely see more news posts once the Force Packs start arriving.

Honestly, the lion's share of where my disappointment lies is in the part you edited out of my quote. Nonetheless, two news posts for the whole month of January is a little disappointing. The Star Wars universe is such a rich setting. They have so much to draw from. I just wish they'd do more to promote their game, which I thoroughly enjoy, by the way.

For comparison, the job Arcane Wonders does promoting Mage Wars is pretty impressive. They have excellent tutorials and reviews, a support page with really useful and interesting downloads, and they're very responsive to their customers. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a FFG basher. I've spent quite a bit of money on their products and will definitely continue to do so. Two of my three favorite games right now are FFG products. I just think with all the richness that is in the SW setting, they might do a bit, I dunno, more I guess.

I know I can search youtube and fansites for the type of information I'm looking for, and I regularly do. And maybe it's just a perception issue that I have that isn't shared by most others. Either way, I really do enjoy the game and want it to be successful so that I have more people to play with. And that's where I think FFG falls a little short. I feel like with the resources they have, they could be doing a bit more to entice others into trying out and buying this game, and they could do a bit more to support it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Quote:
I just think with all the richness that is in the SW setting, they might do a bit, I dunno, more I guess

The same could be said about all their other LCGs. It does not seem as if FFG is supporting this game anymore or less then their other LCGs. They just don't post previews that far off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston S
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Expected by' dates were added on the FFG upcoming page:

The Desolation of Hoth - March
The Search for Skywalker - April
A Dark Time - May

Does that count as an update?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herwig Riedl
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
roll the hard six
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well i would really like to know, when the two delux expansions, which are mentioned in the rulebook(multiplayer and bounty hunter/smuggler), will come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herwig Riedl
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
roll the hard six
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottieATF wrote:
Quote:
I just think with all the richness that is in the SW setting, they might do a bit, I dunno, more I guess

The same could be said about all their other LCGs. It does not seem as if FFG is supporting this game anymore or less then their other LCGs. They just don't post previews that far off.

yeah, i think you are right. well see more support closer to the release date.
i think the first Q&A will be out by the end of the month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once the Force packs start coming out I think we'll see a bit more, but I still wouldn't expect TOO much activity. It's great that Mage Wars gets a lot more posts, but that's the company's only game. FFG has a ton of stuff going on, it's not so easy to lavish tons of attention on one game, and why should that happen to be this one anyway? Their other LCGs all have rich universes to explore too so I don't think we can claim that as being unique to Star Wars.

Bottom line is, they just don't do a ton of articles. It's not their style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although if anyone is interested in writing articles I'm hoping to start some Star Wars coverage on CardGameDB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilcoxon
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enchirito wrote:

A Dark Time - May

Works for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herwig Riedl
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
roll the hard six
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enchirito wrote:

A Dark Time - May

and since today:
Assault on Echo Base
Announcing the Fourth Force Pack for STAR WARS (TM): The Card Game
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3927
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottieATF wrote:

dboeren wrote:
I still wouldn't expect TOO much activity. It's great that Mage Wars gets a lot more posts, but that's the company's only game. FFG has a ton of stuff going on...Their other LCGs all have rich universes to explore too so I don't think we can claim that as being unique to Star Wars.

Bottom line is, they just don't do a ton of articles. It's not their style.

Fair enough on all points. I'm probably expecting too much. It isn't my product, and FFG doesn't confer with me on how to promote it. But what do they know? It's not like they're incredibly successful or anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zwara81 wrote:
well i would really like to know, when the two delux expansions, which are mentioned in the rulebook(multiplayer and bounty hunter/smuggler), will come out.

Me too! I'm dying for more information on both of these.

Otherwise I think the coverage has been about par for the course for FFG. Not fantastic and could definitely be better, but we are also in a lull where no new products are coming out in the near future so they would have to work hard to create content and they seem content to let the community do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
zwara81 wrote:

Yeah, if I had to choose between the Smugglers and Scum expansion and all of the Hoth expansion, I'd take the former, easily. Here's hoping we get a release date soon...Bounty Hunters, lando, and Chewbacca.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilcoxon
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrNate wrote:

Yeah, if I had to choose between the Smugglers and Scum expansion and all of the Hoth expansion, I'd take the former, easily. Here's hoping we get a release date soon...Bounty Hunters, lando, and Chewbacca.

I want my Millennium Falcon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just glad we are getting Jabba's palace cards in the second force pack!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.