GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,755 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Runewars» Forums » General

Subject: True Playing Time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
With several combinations of playing modules and Revised Edition further clunking up the matter, I'd like to get a better sense of how much time people take to play the game, so I can better budget the time, see which options to use and whether I should be cracking the whip harder on slower players in my (long) games.

Poll
1. How long with new players?
1-5 minutes per player per year
6-10 minutes per player per year
11-15 minutes per player per year
16-20 minutes per player per year
21-25 minutes per player per year
26-30 minutes per player per year
> 30 minutes per player per year
2. How long with experienced players?
3. How long for the last 2 years of the game? (many big battles, many heroes etc)
      36 answers
Poll created by selwyth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
So the majority are going 30 mins per player per year,

So thats 30 x 4 x 7, or 14 hours for a 4 player game that goes the distance, that's ludicrous.

My last game went 7 hours which comes out around 15 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be people not seeing 'per year', or joking that it's LONG. Hope the responses look better as more people answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
Could be people not seeing 'per year', or joking that it's LONG. Hope the responses look better as more people answer.

I've had two player games take two hours.

I've had a 3-player game take 5 hours but one of my friends is a massive bumbler and takes forever to play.

Our last game was 4 player (with the Bumbler), all expac rules except hero commanders, and took 7 hours.

I reckon 5 hours is about right for a full-monty game of RW. A bit less with practice. But it's a long, epic, awesome game so who wants to rush it anyway?

The 7 hour game is the only one we've played with the Revised no-home-runes setup. It lengthens the game (not as much as The Bumbler does) but also makes it much more interesting and dynamic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Garrison, harvest, recruit, rally support, acquire power and fortify should all take less than 5 minutes to complete.

Quest phase in the summer can take 15-20 minutes for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
[q="selwyth"]The 7 hour game is the only one we've played with the Revised no-home-runes setup. It lengthens the game (not as much as The Bumbler does) but also makes it much more interesting and dynamic.

Can you please tell us a little bit more? Why is the game more interesting and dynamic with the no-home-runes setup in your opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:

Can you please tell us a little bit more? Why is the game more interesting and dynamic with the no-home-runes setup in your opinion?

With first edition you could succeed by sitting as close to your home realm as possible, exploring the minimum of the map and never really engaging in conflict with other players.

With the no-home runes variant you are pushed into going out exploring the map to find dragon runes, and there is more conflict between players attempting to control the runes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our last game, after adding the expansion and not having played for about a year, took us ... 13 hours. It took us over an hour to get a legal map setup though, so the new, more lenient, map setup rules in revised would have allowed us to build our first map placement.

Our group also has some chronic cases of lack of attention.

Our biggest problem was that we forgot most of the rules. This dragged the game down. Someone needs to have a very good understanding of all the rules before playing. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I think I've only played maybe 1 game of Twilight Imperium that went that long!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:

Okay, why is > 30 minutes per player per year still dominating the new-player poll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a hard time buying that as well; I can't see a year taking 2 hours, even with 4 players, unless all 4 players were new and nobody knew the rules.

However, perhaps its been skewed by lots of 2-player games? I think an hour for a year is still longer than I've seen, but I guess for more AP prone players it could happen. And generally, I don't think a 4-player game really takes that much longer than a 2-player game since much of the game can happen simultaneously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many years are games typically?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dedindahed wrote:
So the majority are going 30 mins per player per year,

So thats 30 x 4 x 7, or 14 hours for a 4 player game that goes the distance, that's ludicrous.

My last game went 7 hours which comes out around 15 minutes.
So 7 years? Awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
How many years are games typically?

7 years is the max; previously it was 6. For my games, in non-Road to Victory plays, the game typically lasted 3 or 4 years. With Road to Victory, it's often gone to 5 or the full 6. It depends on the number of players and the nature of how the runes come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alam Muammar
Indonesia
Bandung
West Java
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i didn't fill for the survey, but i played 3player games with 2newbies and it only last for 3 hours ended on 6th year spring, so if it was dragged to fully 7 years i guess it ended up 3,5 - 4 hours

i guess the "180-240" minutes printed on box is true
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.