GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,574 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Richard Erwin
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the pair of mats from Wings of War. Will the new set of three mats integrate well with the older set at all?

Thanks....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they're completely different
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Miner
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are better looking and can match up many ways,and best of all, cost way less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In respect to overall "style" the new mats won't match at all with the old Wings of War East/West mats. The original design was far more "illustrative", with an artistic feel rather than the graphic realism of the new design. The new style isn't photo realistic, but it certainly aspires to feel more authentic to aerial photography than the original Wings of War format.

That said, the new mats offer more landscape variety. Their geomorphic design also allows them to be place side by side for a wide range of mat combinations. These are definitely a step up aesthetically, but I haven't handled them in person so I can't speak for their physical quality. Knowing Andrea, and his high standards, I'm sure they're quite nice.

My only gripe is that they seem far better suited for "Battle of Britain" WWII scenarios than The Great War (and almost seem irrelevant for players interested in the Pacific Theater: WWII).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith U.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No they are not compatible. There are some photo comparisons on the Wings of Glory Aerodrome Site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record I have one of the east mats for sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.