GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,232 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Shadows over Camelot» Forums » Variants

Subject: More thematic Lancelot.? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The present SoC has a quest for Lancelots' armour which gives the nifty ability to look at two black cards and choose which one to encounter. I wouldn't want to lose the option to gain that ability but it doesn't really reflect the legend of Lancelot.
Lancelot was a very skilled knight who would only serve a lord who could defeat him in combat. So far, so good. That reflects the quest.
But instead of handing over magic armour, he joined the round table, adding his considerable skill and inspiring other knights by his example. All until he wrecked everything by messing with Guenivere, killing valued knights by escaping and killing more by rescuing Guen. He goes slightly nuts and starts wandering the countryside preaching before returning to fight alongside Arthur and dying in the final battle. So I was speculating about the following:
On successful completion of the Lancelot quest every knight gains a special five value white card. This card can also be substituted for a lower card to win a quest. This represents the addition to the round tables' strength by recruiting Lancelot. There is also a special six value card placed by the round table. A white sword is also placed on the table.
When the Guenivere card is revealed,in addition to her other effects the white sword is turned to black (or maybe a won quest yields an extra white sword before guenevere and a lost quest yields an extra black afterward). All knights lose one life point (the losses Lancelot inflicts in his escape and rescue). All the special Lancelot five cards are discarded including those in unfinished quests (they have to be replaced with correctly numbered cards on someones' turn).
The six card by the table is not lost but can be applied once to any quest in addition to any other cards played. This represents Lancelots'
final battle.
Perhaps there could be another round of loyalty cards given out with another traitor card to represent the breaking up of the round table.
I think if something like this is done, the Guenevere card should either be placed on the bottom of the black deck or only added in when it's exhausted and must be reshuffled.
Anyway, these are a few ideas I had for adding more of the flavour of the myth to the game. There would still be a lot of playtesting and ballancing to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
ADMIN NOTE: Moved from Rules to Variants Forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike C
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Shields are offline.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the direction you're taking on this. If you play test it be sure to post the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to get a copy of the game first. Anyone want to trade for Small World?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.