GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,573 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shipment from Mirrormorph and Removing Virus Counters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did search to see if these have been answered anywhere, and I came up empty. So, I'm asking them now.

Shipment from Mirrormorph states "Immediately install up to 3 cards (spending no clicks but paying all install costs)."

Does this mean that I install the cards unrezzed but pay the rez cost or does it mean that I install the cards rezzed by paying the rez cost?

The rule book states, under Purging Virus Counters, "for 3 clicks, the Corporation removes all virus counters Hosted (see "Hosting" on page 22) on cards, returning them to the token bank."

I did read the Hosting section, but it just discusses what Hosting means, what Hosted means, etc. Does this mean that this action allows the Corporation to remove virus token off the their cards or all cards in play (Corporation's and Runner's)?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You install the cards unrezzed, as you normally do. The costs the card is referring to would be the 2c paid to install an ice as 3rd in the server, for example.

There are currently ZERO Corp cards that host virus counters. But if there were, yes, that action would remove each virus counter from every card that had them. It neuters Medium, Crypsis, Imp, Datasucker, Parasite, and probably one or two more that I'm forgetting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, forgot about the Ice cost - thanks! Not when I play the game, but my mind just didn't make the connect between that and the card.

Wow! Three clicks to remove all virus token on all cards? I've only played a few times so I don't know all the subtleties, but that seems...wonky. I don't think any Corp player would blink an eye when spending a turn to remove all those pesky virus tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:
Ah, forgot about the Ice cost - thanks! Not when I play the game, but my mind just didn't make the connect between that and the card.

Wow! Three clicks to remove all virus token on all cards? I've only played a few times so I don't know all the subtleties, but that seems...wonky. I don't think any Corp player would blink an eye when spending a turn to remove all those pesky virus tokens.

Well, if you spend every turn doing that, you've got a problem. But sometimes clearing counters is the right move, like to save a high-cost piece of ICE from Parasite for a little while, to clear a critical amount of Medium tokens, to stop Imp before it starts, or to clear away the Runner's formidable progress with Datasucker. Preferably multiple of those at the same time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends, like so much else, on game state at the time. If you're spending 3 clicks to purge 12 clicks worth of counters, yes, you're getting a great deal. If, however, you're spending 3 clicks to remove 1 click worth of counters, less so.

When choosing to purge counters, you have to decide how many of the runner's clicks you'll be undoing and how much effort it will take them to redo it. Generally speaking, trading clicks one for one with the runner is the worst case scenario in which a virus purge is acceptable (excluding corner cases in which the game will end if counters aren't purged), and perhaps even your 3 clicks to the runner's 4 (trading a turn for a turn).

As does everything in this game, each of your actions has an opportunity cost in addition to its printed cost. Opportunity costs vary from game state to game state, but in the case of a virus purge include things like: gaining 3 (or more) credits, installing up to 3 ICE to help defend against upcoming runs, advancing an existing agenda up to 3 times, etc. The real problem here is that if the runner was able to break in to a server and add virus counters last turn (and hence you purge) chances are good that he'll be able to do it again this turn. You may be tempted to get into an endless cycle of (he gets counters) (purge), but recall that doing this is strictly in the runner's favor, since you will lose the game if you can't draw from an empty R&D.

As a runner, I'll routinely close my turn with a counter or 2 on crypsis, threatening a run on a future turn and hoping to bait the corp into purging those counters because it is to my (click) advantage for him to do so. On the flip side, the threat of a virus purge means that I try to keep careful track of how many virus counters I present so as not to incite the purge when it is NOT to my advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers!

I agree it would be situational, but it never occured to me how much of a balancing act it would be.

I'm loving this game more and more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.