GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,869 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: A Newbie to the LOTR Trading Card Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question.

Is each 63-Card Gandalf Starter Deck in the Fellowship of the Ring series different from one another or are all the cards identical?

If they are not identical, is it wise to purchase a second, maybe even a third copy of this particular set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
60 of the cards are identical. there are 3 random rares in each starter box. getting a second gets you more rares and some extra copies of cards that you do not get 4 of in one starter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Identical except for 3 random rares.

Not wise at all, since you only get 3 random rares (no foil) plus 2 (2, I think?) starter-only premiums. Everything else is junk since you'll get way too many commons/uncommons. Everybody would buy booster boxes and 1 starter deck, if at all, and trade for the premiums they need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So in starting a game with another player, is it recommended that we each use our own "Gandalf Starter Deck" or should one of the players opt for "Aragorn Starter Deck" and let the best man win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Blanco
United States
Shelbyville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd play Gandalf vs Aragorn, just so you can see the different strategies/deck types. To be fair, you can play two games and swap in between, but I think the starters for each set were pretty balanced against each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Stratton
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that if you play the two starters just by themselves against each other than the Gandalf starter has a bit of an advantage. It doesn't take much for the Gandalf player to just hold minions until site 4 or 5 and swarm the Aragorn player. The Aragorn starter only has 5 companions (Frodo, Aragorn, Boromir, Sam, and Legolas), if I recall, and not many copies of some of them. So, the Aragorn deck struggles to find the right starting companions. If it starts only Aragorn, then it doesn't take much for shadow to swarm. If it starts Sam & Legolas then Gandalf player gets free Moria Scouts.

That said, if you get more companions for the Aragorn starter, or some more skirmish cancelers / frodo support, it is probably the better deck, as the Gandalf shadow can really only count on a stupid swarm or two, whereas the Aragorn deck has a better shadow to get stops.

So, given that, I'd suggest that the original poster get one of each, but I think they really need some boosters (not many, maybe just 6, 3 for each deck) just to round out the free people's deck - they can take out some of the bad cards that Aragorn starter comes with like random elven pumps for a floating Legolas, the not-overwhelmed unless tripled armor, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eden Hansen
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am also a newbie..my question is: does each person need to have their own starter deck to play or does this particular version set up for 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eden73 wrote:
does each person need to have their own starter deck to play or does this particular version set up for 2 players?

Each person needs their own starter deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.