GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,823 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: What extra info to add on a play mat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Kruijt
Netherlands
Eindhoven
NBr
flag msg tools
This overtext intentionally left blank.
badge
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am creating my version of an Eclipse play map with this one of Jaghatai Khan as a reference. I will be printing on DIN A0 size format (1188mm x 840mm or approx 46.75" x 33").
The hexes are labelled I, II, and III, and the starting hexes for 1 to 9 players and ancients are labelled accordingly.

In the corners I want to add some extra info. I made a setup table where number of outer sector hexes, initial technology tiles, etc. is given for up to 9 players. I also included a table of reputation tiles to be drawn per event.

I want to add a final scoring table, but don't know how to 'iconise' the VP one gets per technology track without making it overly crowded. I'm thinking of using the three icons for the three technology tracks, with the outline of a technology tile to indicate the VPs are per track. Also, I have no solution for the race specific bonuses. So if anyone has an idea how to iconify these, please share it.

What other relevant information should/could I put on the play mat? The technology tracks don't really fit, unless I get rid of one of the Eclips logos (which I am considering).

Looking forward to your recommendations,

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Jokinen
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very good idea. I have printed my own mat too, with only hexes and galaxy background, but now I think I will redo it.

Set up information would be cool, like how many this and that is needed.

Also places for RotA additions would be very nice, such as the Rare Techs, Developments (incl. slots for Shellworld and Warp Portal), Shrines, Alliance markers etc.

I will also add there a full table of how many Reputation Tiles to draw in each situation. Now it is highly annoying to find the info from 2 different info boards.

Storage slots for Ancients, purple damage cubes, Discovery Tiles, Monoliths/Orbitals...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PKrJ wrote:
A very good idea. I have printed my own mat too, with only hexes and galaxy background, but now I think I will redo it.

Set up information would be cool, like how many this and that is needed.

Also places for RotA additions would be very nice, such as the Rare Techs, Developments (incl. slots for Shellworld and Warp Portal), Shrines, Alliance markers etc.

I will also add there a full table of how many Reputation Tiles to draw in each situation. Now it is highly annoying to find the info from 2 different info boards.

Storage slots for Ancients, purple damage cubes, Discovery Tiles, Monoliths/Orbitals...

If you weren't in Finland I'd call dibs on your old play mat when you finish your new one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk wrote:
I am creating my version of an Eclipse play map with this one of Jaghatai Khan as a reference. I will be printing on DIN A0 size format (1188mm x 840mm or approx 46.75" x 33").
The hexes are labelled I, II, and III, and the starting hexes for 1 to 9 players and ancients are labelled accordingly.

In the corners I want to add some extra info. I made a setup table where number of outer sector hexes, initial technology tiles, etc. is given for up to 9 players. I also included a table of reputation tiles to be drawn per event.

I want to add a final scoring table, but don't know how to 'iconise' the VP one gets per technology track without making it overly crowded. I'm thinking of using the three icons for the three technology tracks, with the outline of a technology tile to indicate the VPs are per track. Also, I have no solution for the race specific bonuses. So if anyone has an idea how to iconify these, please share it.

What other relevant information should/could I put on the play mat? The technology tracks don't really fit, unless I get rid of one of the Eclips logos (which I am considering).

Looking forward to your recommendations,

Peter

If you use a turn order variant, perhaps you could include a track to indicate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kruijt
Netherlands
Eindhoven
NBr
flag msg tools
This overtext intentionally left blank.
badge
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your suggestions (keep them coming). Just to give an impression, this is how a part of the mat looks at the moment (click to enlarge).

The extra info is definitely not at the right place now, it's too messy and needs to be cleaned up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter, you graphics look really good. I, too, had tried to add a number of play-aids to my mat, but in the end I removed them as I felt it cluttered the mat too much. I'd suggest putting a different aid in each corner to start and see how that looks.

Also, remember that most printers really print around 72dpi even though you might send them a 150dpi or higher graphic. So, you need to make any text larger than normal or else it might appear fuzzy.

Good luck! Can't wait to see the final mat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.