Popular Tags: [View All]
J
Canada
Slave Lake
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a random idea I had: What if instead of "peoples" clashing, Blue Moon was rethemed to a game of superhero duels? Now, of course I'm completely aware that this would never actually get reprinted in this way, but it's an interesting thought experiment. And maybe it will give some that haven't played all the decks an idea as to what they feel like.

Here are the rethemed concepts I thought of. Add your own! (And feel free to contradict mine.)

Fire = Speed
Earth = Strength
Character cards = Attack cards
Booster = Booster
Support = Power-Ups
Leadership cards = ??
Mutants = ??
Dragon tokens = ??

Vulca = Spider-Man (or should that be The Flash?)
Terrah = The Hulk
Khind = The Teen Titans
Flit = Nightcrawler
Aqua = Wolverine (due to that regenerative power thing where the discard pile gets shuffled back into the deck)
Hoax = ??
Mimix = ??
Pillar = ??
E&I = ??

I'm having a tough time thinking of an analogue for the Hoax. It'd have to be someone sort of tricky, but not too tough, I guess. Someone that had to be extra crafty to defeat their foe. Daredevil?

I've not played with the Mimix, Pillar, or E&I sets, so I don't know what they would parallel.

Shield = Block
Gang = Team Attack
Pair = ??

The rest of the icon terms could remain the same.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this would work mainly because the theme of Blue Moon is unimportant to the game play. I still would not consider the theme pasted on because the points and powers coincide with what is on the card. So, the superheroes would have to match the special power of the cards. I like superheroes but I don't know enough to parallel the Blue Moon decks. But since the Mimix decks are an all female army, they could be the amazons which would include Wonder Woman who the the princess of the Amazons.

The idea of dueling superheroes sounds similar to heroclix or the new Marvel heroes game that is not yet released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Helenoftroy wrote:
I think this would work mainly because the theme of Blue Moon is unimportant to the game play.

I think the theme informs the gameplay somewhat - more than not at all, anyways - so I disagree that it is unimportant.

In regards to the superhero theming proposed, it is definitely clever, but would only work if you don't do deckbuilding. Otherwise you've suddenly got a Hulk with some Spiderman attacks thrown in and Wolverine's powers.

The theme of waging a war with members of many varied peoples works for the deckbuilding aspect. Creating your own superhero would work too, but would mean you could not have the decks be specific superheroes, but rather represent generic superhero archtypes with generically named powers. Otherwise the theme breaks down.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, a game where you "designed" a superhero by deckbuilding would be hot. But it would have to more than a re-theming of Blue Moon.

One problem is that successful superhero games seem to be based on published heros.

The closest to this would be Stange Synergy, currently published by Steve Jackson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
Slave Lake
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allen, re: designing a superhero, check out the City of Heroes CCG. If I remember right, the deck you build represents one superhero. I don't think you get to create a "new" superhero, but you get to customize the ones available. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/19766

Matthew, I agree with you that the existing theme does mesh with the gameplay quite well. The functions of cards like "Aqua Armor" and "Irresistible Sirens" make sense, and the theme (graphics + card name) gives you a leg up toward understanding what the card will do. It'd be tricky to perfectly translate the cards, thematically, to a different (yet similar) theme, but I think it could work.

I don't have any experience with deckbuilding in BM, but it seems to me that as long as you don't demand too much from the theme, it wouldn't be a problem to have Spiderman "help out" the Hulk a couple times during the course of the battle. With the Wolverine bit, I assume you're referring to the Support ("Power-Up") cards -- I was thinking of these more in terms of items and environmental objects that a superhero could use. i.e, more like "Manhole Cover" than "Adamantium Claws."

Anyway, it was just a casual idea, and probably more work than it'd be worth. I thought it might be interesting for a custom set of cards (graphic files) to use in the CardTable Online software, for example.

Anyone else care to fill in any of the blanks ("??") in the original post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Meeple
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Sorry if digging a 'dead' thread up isn't kosher.

The wife and I have always enjoyed Star Wars TCG (WOTC), so when we recently picked up the BM base set, the first thing we both discussed was how well fitted for a SW theme this game would be. You could almost copy any text directly to the SW universe, exchange Fire and Earth with dark and light side powers, change various boosters from gloves to blasters or double edged lightsabers etc.

It's a classic theme, great stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.