Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest giving Wellington a try, then comparing it with Hannibal. Wellington has quite a different feel than The Napoleonic Wars, imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Marlett
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
Wherever You Go, There You Are
badge
With no certain future, and no purpose other than to prevail
mbmbmbmbmb
Good overview of the year. I agree with your viewpoint on Empire of the Sun and Triumph of Chaos; if you had had a chance to play Fire in the Sky, I think it would have made a good impression. It also really highlights the problems with Empire of the Sun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Conversely I found Reef Encounter so glaringly better than Euphrat & Tigris that had I'd owned a copy of E&T it would have been for sale the next day and never played again.

Antike has been solidly popular and given the brief time it has been out, the most requested of any game in 2005. Admittedly there isn't a single original element to the design, and calling it a Civilisation-lite is a severe disservice to both games. However as an austerely muscular little logistics game it serves well enough, plays enjoyably with a light negotiation element, and it is surprisingly elegantly balanced. To address your specific concerns of compound interest and conflict cost:

0) Yes, there is a compound interest aspect to the game, but it is heavily damped both by the investment curves required and by the sympathetic relationships each player's investments must bear with their immediate neighbours. Antike is a game of action point efficiency: who can build N VPs for the least action points. A simple logistical game. Unless the players base have a wide skill range in understanding how to optimise the system, then runaway leaders are both rare and fragile.

1) As you identify, conflict is a losing proposition. Potential threat of conflict, especially as a distractive force is however very powerful. It is a game of many small detentes and short lived equilibria.

2) Yes, there is nothing original in the game. Nothing at all other than this particular permutation of old standards not behaving been done before. If you value novelty much and have the experience base to honestly detect it, this could be significant. Few do. Shrug.

3) Yes, the three player game as published has problem (it needs a smaller VP total). Other player counts are fine. No, temples are not only valuable late due to early available expansion. Early game expansionism is not a rote decision, especially with lower player counts, and beyond a small base is not necessarily required for victory. Picking one viable strategy among many, consider the VP earning efficiency advantage of a player who has built two or three gold temples in the early game: They can buy a new technology and thus a VP every 2 turns, likely guaranteeing themselves 5 or 6 of the 8 available VPs. Other similar patterns can be constructed for the other VP sources, or combinations of sources. It is a question of simple efficiency.

4) No, combat expense is not a huge dampner, and most especially not in the early game. It is frequently logistically more efficient in the early game to build a military unit and conquer an opponent's city than it would be to build you own city.

5) Don't play with whiners.

My largest surprise however is your enthusiasm over Louis XIV, Tower of Babel and Palazzo which I respectively rated at 4, 3.5 and 3.5. None of them are terrible to be sure, comfortably outside Sturgeon's 90%, but I can find little to praise after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I appreciate are the 2003 and 2004 retrospectives. Too many people are focused on the "next big thing". Games aren't like movies, they're not disposable after one use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Savage
United States
Unspecified
Florida
flag msg tools
Chris,
I always eagerly await your reviews and replays. As an avid wargamer myself, I feel that your analysis of wargames is "spot on" with my views
so you save me a lot of time and money. I think that you should try "Fire in the Sky" also, I'm eagerly awaiting your take on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.