Subject: Legendary Mountains rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario: Custom-built battlefield called "Legendary Mountains",
including a small section with a glyph off the map only accessible to
flying figures
Glyphs: Randomly scattered, power-side down
Draft: 500-point armies

Me: My son:
Tarn Viking Warriors Grimnak
Agent Carr Deathwalker 9000
Airborne Elite Mimring
Raelin Ne-Gok-Sa
Izumi Samurai
Syvarris

Battlefield Report from Col. Raelin to Gen. Jandar
30 Dec 2005
1330 hours
Conditions: clear skies, firm ground, excellent visibility
Area of Conflict: Legendary Mountains

To the Most Honorable General Jandar,

We met the enemy today in an unexplored region called Legendary Mountains. Fortunately, we were blessed with clear skies, and I was able to view the entire battlefield. From my vantage point, I could see numerous glyphs. Unfortunately, none of them would reveal their nature until we captured them. It was a risk I was determined to take. There was one unusual area of the battlefield that I had never seen before. It was a small section of land that I could see clearly. However, it did not seem to be attached to the normal landscape – as if it was in an extra-dimensional space accessible only to flying creatures. In addition, it held a glyph. Since I was the only one in our army that day who could fly, I assigned this mission to myself.

The enemy sent four of the foulest creatures in Valhalla against us: Grimnak, Deathwalker 9000, Mimring, and Ne-Gok-Sa. To ensure success, I assembled a balanced army, including myself, the Tarn Warriors, Agent Carr, the Airborne Elite, the Izumi Samurai and my trusted ally, Syvarris.

Because of the clear skies, and the favor of the gods, the Airborne Elite arrived at the beginning of the battle, and I was able to utilize them immediately. Unfortunately, the enemy grabbed the initiative. He moved DW and immediately captured a glyph. Fortunately, it was the Healing glyph, and it disappeared from the battle without benefiting the enemy. Next, I called in The Drop and the Elite scattered throughout the battlefield, each landing next to a glyph. The rest of this early part of the battle consisted of movements to strategic positions. The enemy moved Ne-Gok-Sa and Mimring closer to our forces. I flew closer to the unusual landmass. Using Berserker Charge, the Tarn Warriors were able to advance three times their normal distance, and captured two defensive glyphs.

Once again, the enemy gained the initiative. This time, Mimring advanced and breathed deadly fire toward one of the Tarn warriors. Fortunately, Fate smiled on the hardy fighter, and he was spared. I flew to the extra-dimensional space, and captured a glyph, increasing the range of all of our normal attacks. From this vantage point, I could also see the entire battle, and determined that I could remain here for a time. Meanwhile, DW plodded in the direction of another glyph. Then, I sent the Elite into action. They captured two more glyphs, one increasing our initiative, and the other increasing the distance we could move. Then three of the Elite turned and fired on Mimring, wounding him twice, and DW, missing. I will never forget the howls of pain that Mimring unleashed as the Elite’s bullets tore through his flesh. Ne-Gok-Sa moved closer to the fray, close enough for Syvarris to attack him. Unfortunately, both of his arrows missed, hurtling into the distance.

The dreaded Grimnak finally advanced into battle. I ordered Agent Carr to attack Mimring, but his attack glanced off of the dragon’s hardened scales. Mimring then moved forward and uncovered the cursed Glyph of Mitonsoul. A terrible, burning pain seized everyone on the battlefield, friend and foe alike. It seemed to go on for an eternity, but eventually receded. Unfortunately, one of our Samurai succumbed to its effects – his face twisted with a terrible grimace. Mimring attacked, but his breath weapon missed again. I ordered the remaining Samurai into the battle. DW then moved onto a glyph, uncovering Erland, the glyph of summoning. In an instant, I was summoned adjacent to him, and he wounded me. Since I had no other companions nearby, I decided to leave the engagement and fly back to another glyph – uncovering Astrid. Fortunately, DW’s parting shot narrowly missed me.

This time, we had the upper hand. I advanced the Samurai and attacked Ne-Gok-Sa, wounding him once. DW moved and attacked me again, wounding me once again. Syvarris advanced, and with his superb archery killed DW. The giant’s body crashed, and the ground trembled. Next, Syvarris turned his attention to Grimnak and successfully hit the orc. Mimring moved and attacked Carr and a Tarn warrior. Fortunately, the deadly fire missed them. Carr fired on Grimnak, hitting him. The brutish orc was visibly in great pain.

The enemy gained the upper hand again. Grimnak advanced, and his mount used his fearsome attack to swallow whole one of our brave Samurai. I ordered the Elite to throw their grenades. They wounded Mimring and Grimnak. Sadly, one of our Tarn warriors was fighting Mimring, and was hit with shrapnel from the attack, killing him. This allowed Mimring to advance and occupy a glyph the warrior had been guarding. He then unleashed his breath attack on three units, hitting Carr. I then ordered the trusted Syvarris to go behind enemy lines, hoping to envelop the enemy. He fired at Grimnak and Ne-Gok-Sa, hitting the alien from Marr. Ne-Gok-Sa then attempted a Mind Shackle on Syvarris, but the archer’s mind fought off the attempt. Agent Carr then advanced and used his Sword of Reckoning on Mimring with devastating effect, hitting the evil creature.

We regained the initiative, and Syvarris fired on Ne-Gok-Sa, hitting him once. Then the unthinkable happened. Ne-Gok-Sa once again turned his evil mental powers toward Syvarris, and successfully captured the archer’s mind. Syvarris was lost to us. With profound sadness, I was forced to conclude that I must now fight my dear and faithful friend. Heavy was the weight of command on my shoulders; and heavy was my heart. I ordered the Tarn Warriors to close on Mimring. They attacked and killed the beast, driving their swords through his heart. Agent Carr moved and fired on Grimnak, missing him. Grimnak advanced and engaged Carr and a Samurai. Our remaining Samurai was swallowed whole, and Grimnak’s spear missed Carr.

I decided to fly over and occupy a defensive glyph. Syvarris killed a Tarn Warrior, then attacked Carr, narrowly missing. Carr used his Ghost Walk to easily move through the enemy and attacked Ne-Gok-Sa with his sword, hitting him. Grimnak turned and advanced on Carr, missing him with both attacks. Two Tarn warriors advanced and attacked Syvarris, hitting him once. Ne-Gok-Sa tried to control Carr, but the Agent’s mind was too strong.

Syvarris fired on both Tarn Vikings in from of him, but missed. I attacked Syvarris, but he was too quick, and avoided my spear. Syvarris attacked again, this time aiming at an Elite and a Tarn occupying glyphs. Fortunately, both attacks missed. Carr Ghost Walked to Syvarris, and wounded him with his sword. Grimnak advanced on me, but the orc and his fearsome beast missed their attacks. The Tarn warriors attacked Syvarris, but the archer was too fast for their swords.

In a pitched battle, Carr missed Syvarris. Syvarris then leveled his deadly bow at Carr, killing him. He then turned on me, and pierced my shoulder. I was losing blood, but grimly determined to defeat these foes, even my own friend. Grimnak attacked me again, and as I avoided his strike, I threw a perfectly aimed spear and hit him. Finally, a Tarn Warrior landed a killing blow on Syvarris. As Syvarris fell, I could see in his eyes that his mind was finally free of Ne-Gok-Sa’s evil control. He looked at me with his dying eyes, and begged forgiveness for his betrayal. But he didn’t need to ask; I had already forgiven him. But I could not allow the moment to distract me. I could feel Ne-Gok-Sa attempting to control my mind, and with great effort I resisted.

I could not afford my sadness over Syvarris’s death to divert me from my goal. It was time to end this battle. A Tarn warrior advanced toward Ne-Gok-Sa, and delivered a fatal blow. Grimnak once again hit me. I then ordered two Tarn Vikings to advance and attack Grimnak, knowing they would only have one chance before the beast could devour them. One of the Vikings hit Grimnak. Enraged and bleeding badly, the beast turned on the brave warrior and swallowed him whole. With fierce determination and the favor of the gods, I leveled my spear and threw with all my might at the foul Grimnak. The spear ripped through him and ended the conflict. I fell to the ground, exhausted and bleeding, and my remaining comrades rushed to my side to help me.

Thus, my honorable commander, ended the Battle of Legendary Mountains. Many brave souls and honored friends perished to defend Valhalla. I know not when this conflict will end, but I remain…

Your Faithful Servant
Col. Raelin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow awsome review. I flet as if I were there. cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! My son read it, and now he wants me to write a story for every battle we have. We'll see...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.