GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,370 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » General

Subject: Newest edition and additional components rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought CC:E the week it was originally released. We played the hell out it, and had a great time.

I've recently purchased everything else there is. And a buddy of mine and I are going to attempt to do every scenario I can get.

So the question is, is it worth it to buy CC:E again. Are there significant changes in the newest printing. I know I can get the rules offline, but what about charts, maps, and counters?

My next question is, what is there to get besides the purchasable base games and packs? Is it possible to get any of the stuff from the magazines? Is it worth it, in your opinions, to try and get a "complete" set of CC stuff?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, the only changes between editions are the rulebook, a few typos, and the way the counters are diecut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
I bought CC:E the week it was originally released. We played the hell out it, and had a great time.

I've recently purchased everything else there is. And a buddy of mine and I are going to attempt to do every scenario I can get.

So the question is, is it worth it to buy CC:E again. Are there significant changes in the newest printing. I know I can get the rules offline, but what about charts, maps, and counters?

My next question is, what is there to get besides the purchasable base games and packs? Is it possible to get any of the stuff from the magazines? Is it worth it, in your opinions, to try and get a "complete" set of CC stuff?

Thanks!

Differences are explained here (and in a couple of other threads in the forums)

RPardoe wrote:
The original pre-order of Combat Commander did include 2 bonus scenarios (#101 and #102) that were not included with the second printing. These bonus scenarios are now available for download from GMT's site.

As for the game itself, the only differences were:

v1.1 rulebook
fixed German card #48 (called its order an action)
fixed pillbox count on American cheat card (information only, no impact on game play)
pinlines added to the hills on maps 11 & 12 for clarity

There were some cosmetic changes between the two printings. The maps are back-printed (meaning there is a map on the front and back of each mapsheet. The paired up maps are a little different:

First printing: 1/4 2/3 5/8 6/7 ....
Second printing 1/2 3/4 5/6 7/8 ....

Another cosmetic change...the counters on the first printing countersheet are only connected at the corners. The counters on the second edition of the second printing are also connected in the middle of each side. This results in a small tab that might be difficult to remove if you trim your counters.

But despite that long explanation - the changes in the second printing are minor indeed. I have the first printing and no one has ever noticed the small items that were changed (fixed) in the second printing. Both printings are eminently playable. And you will get the same stuff in both copies.

As for the C3i magazine materials, some of them are still available through GMT Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest rulebook (1.1) is available for download here:

http://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/CC_Rulebook_v1.1.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:

Thanks!

If you love the game, get as much as you can. I always say, someday we will be those lucky gamers who have all the CC stuff since when it first came out while the next generation is begging for reprints and buying the collections of dead gamers for thousands on Ebay!

I try to keep accurate tabs on the officially published stuff with this list here. It will indicate whether something is in print or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Thank you all. For the life of my I couldn't find that post about the differences. Much appreciated.

I will not purchase the 2nd edition, sounds like it's not worth it. I went ahead and downloaded everything that's possible. So now it's only the magazine stuff missing.

I just can't see myself spending 20 bucks a pop on those when all I'd want are the CC scenarios. Oh well. Have to fight the completionist in me. Are there 1 or 2 that people like/recommend? I could see myself getting 1 or 2.

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently pulled the trigger on CC:E and CC plus pack 4. Hoping CC:M will sell out this year so we can get a reprint (most places I see are already out). Hope it's as fun as they say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone dalla Chiesa
Italy
Cassina de' Pecchi
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
So now it's only the magazine stuff missing.
Are there 1 or 2 that people like/recommend? I

Jack, I firmly believe Scenarios 104 and 106 are among the finest in the whole game system. Do get them, that's my advise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agung Waspodo
Indonesia
Depok
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for you.

So far I haven't acquired CC Resistance yet, is it a good expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
dahusband wrote:
So far I haven't acquired CC Resistance yet, is it a good expansion?
Hope so since there's a copy in the mail on the way to my house. The strange new rules and cool looking units hooked me. I'll consider it my training for the imminent uprising in my country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is this a dead game now, or will they continue to release expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chairman7w wrote:

There are two expansions coming out this year:
Combat Commander: Battle Pack #5 – Fall of the West, slated for May and
Combat Commander: Battle Pack #6 – Sea Lion later this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chairman7w wrote:
Is this a dead game now...?

Not in the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
Chairman7w wrote:

An odd question to ask in the very place where the answer is easily found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chairman7w wrote:

laughlaughlaugh

Good one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Comandante
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is. Resistance side plays a bit different. You have to deal between moving capacity and firepower. You can infiltrate and you must be able to locally concentrate to overcome your ennemy. I played three scenarios - strangely in three places I know well in Bosnia and France - and found it amusing and interesting. it changes from overpowered US squads and overdisciplined german ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had my eye on CC:Europe for a little while now as my next purchase. But I noticed CC:Mediterranean isn't readily available. I've checked most of the popular online game stores, amazon and ebay. You can pick it up on amazon and ebay for a minimum of twice the MSRP. What worries me is all expansions seem to need BOTH CC:E and CC:M. So if I go ahead and make my purchase of CC:E now, will I be limited to only what the base offers with no hope of more maps/scenarios? Will CC:M be reprinted? Help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clammy721 wrote:
I've had my eye on CC:Europe for a little while now as my next purchase. But I noticed CC:Mediterranean isn't readily available. I've checked most of the popular online game stores, amazon and ebay. You can pick it up on amazon and ebay for a minimum of twice the MSRP. What worries me is all expansions seem to need BOTH CC:E and CC:M. So if I go ahead and make my purchase of CC:E now, will I be limited to only what the base offers with no hope of more maps/scenarios? Will CC:M be reprinted? Help!

Heck, you can get one in the BGG marketplace for $42 + $11.35 shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:
Clammy721 wrote:

Heck, you can get one in the BGG marketplace for $42 + $11.35 shipping.

That is true. But I feel much more comfortable, and also prefer, to buy new from a retailer or a given company. Peace of mind knowing I get some sort of backing if there's a problem, maybe a warranty and just less problems in general. I know, I may be asking a bit much or want my cake and eat it too...but that's just me. And more to the point is that it's NOT available from a retailer, which is my worry in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clammy721 wrote:
That is true. But I feel much more comfortable, and also prefer, to buy new from a retailer or a given company. Peace of mind knowing I get some sort of backing if there's a problem

If you buy through the BGG Marketplace with Paypal then you've got a 100% guarantee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Clammy721 wrote:
That is true. But I feel much more comfortable, and also prefer, to buy new from a retailer or a given company. Peace of mind knowing I get some sort of backing if there's a problem

If you buy through the BGG Marketplace with Paypal then you've got a 100% guarantee.

Well that definitely helps. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See: What is PayPal Purchase Protection?

Of course, your credit card covers you also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Clammy721 wrote:

Also: although most CC fans seem to go wild and end up buying everything possible I'll note that I've still only played the original CC:E : its 12 scenarios plus its excellent Random Scenario Generator provide terrific replay value, such that I've never even felt the need or interest to own any of those battle pack expansions. (I have since acquired Mediterranean (which was originally intended to be sold together with CC:E as a single large base game), yet I still haven't gotten it to the table, alas!) I've logged 37 plays and thanks to its nifty RSG I don't foresee original CC:E ever feeling insufficient for me.

That said, if you are among the completionists, it does seem that in practice one can acquire most/all of the CC expansions if one looks around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Clammy721 wrote:

Also: although most CC fans seem to go wild and end up buying everything possible :) I'll note that I've still only played the original CC:E : its 12 scenarios plus its excellent Random Scenario Generator provide terrific replay value, such that I've never even felt the need or interest to own any of those battle pack expansions. (I have since acquired Mediterranean (which was originally intended to be sold together with CC:E as a single large base game), yet I still haven't gotten it to the table, alas!) I've logged 37 plays and thanks to its nifty RSG I don't foresee original CC:E ever feeling insufficient for me.

That said, if you are among the completionists, it does seem that in practice one can acquire most/all of the CC expansions if one looks around. :)

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I thought the RSG was in CC:M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I thought the RSG was in CC:M.

There definitely is a RSG in CC:E 2e. I don't know for sure whether it was in 1e too, but I do think so.

I'd recommend getting CC:E, no matter what happens with CC:M. If you can, get both, there's still copies of the latter floating around. If you can't, don't sweat, I'm very sure it'll get reprinted, and probably sooner rather than later. In the meantime, there's enough game in CC:E alone to keep you occupied for quite some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.