United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up in northern Indiana and my family always had corned-beef and cabbage for dinner on New Year's Day. We're primarily from French/German descent. My wife's family, also from Indiana always had sauerkraut and sausage on New Year's day. They are of German descent. In both cases, the traditional reason for eating the food was for good luck. Since we've been married (almost 20 years now), we've carried on the corned-beef/cabbage combination as our traditional meal.

So, I'm curious where your family is from, what foods you traditionally eat/ate for New Year's day and the reasoning why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I believe that black-eyed peas and collard greens are the staple in the Southeastern US. One represents luck, and one represents money, but I'll be darned if I can remember which is which.

I'm hoping that the peas are for luck. I can't stand collard greens, but I figure if I have enough luck from the black-eyed peas, then I can use that luck to win the lottery, and BAM!, I'm covered in both areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in Port Arthur, Texas the combination of black-eyed peas, cabbage, and ham seems to be the traditional good luck meal on New Year's Day. It doesn't work though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Southy
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's family are Scottish and on New Year's Day we all meet up at the designated chef's house for steak pie, mushy peas, mash potato & gravy.
I don't know wether it's a Scottish thing or just their own family tradition but they've been doing it for generations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm saving all my sleep for another life
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
New Year's Day was always about football, therefore it was about nachos, chips, salsa, dips, barbecue or whatever.

But New Year's Eve...aah! When I was younger and grandma was still living on her own, we would stay up late to watch the ball drop and eat whatever we felt like. It was usually just snack food--chocolate, leftovers, popcorn, whatever--it didn't really matter.

After I moved to be with my fiance in a town much closer to grandma, I stumbled upon a recipe for Hoppin' John, a dish with black-eyed peas, ham, veggies and spices in broth that you put over rice, which is supposed to be a traditional New Year's dish that brings good luck. Fortunately, it's also really, really delicious. So that became a tradition for a while for the whole family.

Lately, with grandma in a nursing home and starting to fade, New Year's Eve has become something of a downer for me. My wife doesn't give a rat about staying up late, watching the clock or having a special meal, so I just make myself a snack and wave my finger in the air and say "Happy New Year" very softly so as not to wake anybody up.

When my son is old enough, I hope he will join me to celebrate the event in some way that is meaningful to us both. And I hope that we'll agree on a meal to share every year, because there's something about having a special food that makes such traditions even more memorable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When my son is old enough, I hope he will join me to celebrate the event in some way that is meaningful to us both.

Excellent. My family is really into traditions right now and we're trying to carry them forward with our kids. We got the kids involved a couple of years ago and we had them come up with a couple around the holidays that we've kept going for several years now. They help us cook Christmas Eve meals etc so I hope you have good luck like we have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools

Nothing really - we never did NYD as a "real" holiday...:shrugs:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
I celebrate New Years in February.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
My mom is from the north, my dad is from the south, so I'm stuck with cabbage and black eyed peas, respectively. Blech.

I have a friend of Italian descent who has grapes as the lucky food in his family. Too bad I'm not Italian.

nuclear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On New Years Day the family gets together and we eat Cabbage for 'luck' reasons. My father his Hispanic, and my mother is Irish, and the tradition comes from my mothers side. Coincidently, Im eating corned beef and cabbage right now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents started a new tradition about ten years ago. We dine on lobster and crab legs with twice baked potatoes in front of the fire place with frozen peanutbutter pie with hot fudge sauce for dessert. At times the mean was moved to Christmas Eve when one or both of us couldn't be there for New Year's eve. This year I wasn't there for either...so missed out

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid wrote:
My wife's family are Scottish and on New Year's Day we all meet up at the designated chef's house for steak pie, mushy peas, mash potato & gravy.
I don't know wether it's a Scottish thing or just their own family tradition but they've been doing it for generations.

Yes, it's a Scottish thing - in the country that gave the world Hogmany [New Year's Eve] & Auld Lang Syne the traditional New Year dish is steak pie (usually with mash - mushy peas must be an English additiongulp ) - depending on family tradition it's sometimes a sit down meal after 'the bells' [midnight] in the wee hours of the morning. But most of us are too busy first footing around then. [it's traditional to visit friends and neighbours for a 'wee dram' or two while the New year's still very young, to see off the old year and celebrate the advent of the New - and to do so properly often takes until the wee sma hours of the morning (and beyond) laugh http://www.new-year.co.uk/firstfoot.html]

Happy New Year folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rural Indiana and we must have cabbage on New Year's Day for good (monetary) fortune in the new year. I am not sure from which side of the family this orignated (the rural Indiana father's side or the Army brat mother's side). We've Scottish, English and German ancestry on both sides. My wife (from Michigan) hadn't heard of this, but fortunately she likes corned beef, so doesn't care if I make cabbage, too.

For New Year's Eve, my wife's family (and so ours, too) have oven snack foods. This consists of a variety of out of the frozen box and bake egg rolls, etc and one special recipe. Chicken in Biscuit crackers with a slice of (yellow) cheese and cocktail sauce baked until the cheese is a little melty.

Here in Michigan fireworks seem to be the thing to do at midnight. When I was growing up, we'd take pots and pans outside to bang together. (We also often celebrated it at 11 PM when it was midnight in NYC, so we went to bed early.)

Before kids, my wife and I would go out for a nice dinner, but be home before midnight to celebrate privately. devil After kids, we stayed home and watched the ball drop. Lately, games have become a staple NYE usually with (overnight or very local) guests, but sometimes just family. meeple We take a game break at midnight (if we remember to set a timer) to watch the ball drop and a toast and hugs and kisses (another tradition from my wife's side), then back to the gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Though it was never a tradition, my mother often mentioned black-eyed peas, collard greens, and ham with red-eye gravy for New Years. Sometimes we had just that.

I'm no big fan of any of those (and I'm vegetarian now, too). But this year my wife found a recipe for collards and black eyed peas that I could eat. In fact, it was pretty darn good. Good enough to put into the regular rotation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.