GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,702 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Command central rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CLARENCE TAN
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
So SHIELD is supposed to be an elite global force, why shouldn't they be more adaptable?

This variant goes like this!
Each turn you can choose *1* Command central... Command:
A) spend 2Recruit to gain 1Attack
B) spend 2Attack to gain 1Recruit
C) Discard a hero from hq and draw another to replace it. Place the discarded hero aside and when the hero deck empties, if there are discarded heroes, shuffle and redraw as needed.

These will hopefully accomplish the following:
- thematic boost, you have more control and can make snap decisions on the field, asking (for example) shield troopers to drop their guns and focus on sending info to heroes, or agents to focus on attacking with their weak holdout pistols instead of providing intel.
Furthermore, you feel like you are in more control as a coordinator.
- make early draws more useful. How many times were you 1 point away from attacking or recruiting that one card, but instead you drew 2 shield ___ instead?
- speed up the game a little. Not only will turns be slightly more flexible and useable, but having a hero turnover mechanism in the hq would help with the "highcost clogged hq" issue. No one likes a hand where they can do nothing.
- roughly maintain balance. Each of these actions can only be used once per turn and, although making it slightly easier for the heroes, also makes the game more fun. There may be a tactical element as well with "burying" certain heroes to prevent them from being bought or wiped out.
- be simple and easy to integrate... Its a choice of only 3 actions!

Thoughts, comments?

PS
as much as I wanted to integrate drawing or KOing for a cost, I was worried about the cumilative effect with certain decks. Rogue or black widow could trim down to nothing quite quickly if you were able to KO per turn, and rapid drawers would soon(er) be drawing whole decks into their hands. This would be an interesting experiment, but may reward those who are more experienced. Furthermore, it would add complication to the variant and, for drawing and KOing, would be difficult to ascertain the appropriate 'cost'.
I kind of feel like the current options help juuuust enough without being abusable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some ability to cycle the HQ lineup would be welcome, but being able to trade one resource for another makes it more appealing to unbalance your deck, which is strategically less interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CLARENCE TAN
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I am not sure about reducing strategy, at most you could only squeeze 1 attack OR recruit per turn. If you went full wolverine deck, you would only marginally increase your chance at recruiting.

Where I see this as useful is especially on starting hands getting 2 troopers or agents. Sometimes you just need 1 more point, so trading 2 of the other when it would often be insufficient at least makes more use of your hand. There are often times too when a henchmen card at 3 attack is just out of reach for early hands.

I had several of these occasions in my last game where I drew 2 troopers against radiation enemies and was 1pt short of recruiting a much needed tech card (i was fighting the legacy virus).

It is not a straight up full conversion of all ones attack to recruit at a 2-1 ratio, which is something that would break the game I think.

I mean, even in the Avengers movie, Maria Hill pulls out a pistol when times got tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CLARENCE TAN
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Tried this variant in a 2 player game with Loki, E. Of A., skrulls, doombots, h.ninjas and hulk, gambit, e.frost, hawkeye, and deadpool. Used the helicarrier variant scheme posted here on bgg (a great scheme btw).

It gave quite a bit of flexibility throughout the game, making the earlier draws more useful. Despite the large amount of wounds and 6 scheme twists, not one enemy escaped to the hq. I think the game wasnt too bad because of e.frost's "reveal xmen, everyone draw" and early deck trimming by doombots, along with gambit deck manipulation, but the variant does definitely make it easier to squeeze more out of each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.