GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,551 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Carolus Magnus» Forums » Strategy

Subject: 1 Paragraph of Basic Strategy: Carolus Magnus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
WBC Team Captain
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered recently as I was preparing for a tournament with many games I didn't know that there are not too many strategy articles on the geek for some games. My objective here is not to provide a detailed analysis of the game, only to give a newbie a very basic outlook of general strategy.

In Carolus Magnus, there are 2 things that you need to focused on primarily. The first is controlling colours. Of the 5 colours, you should only invest your shields into 3 of them (2 in a 3 player game) and all your jokers should be of that colour. Secondly, the winner will likely be the player who can take over a significant territory from their opponent. Keep watchful of any opportunities that you may get to spend a turn putting all your shields into an opponent territory to take it over. Lastly, unless the move is devastating to your opponent, never place shields into territories. It will only move you behind in the race to claim colours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARCUS GABRIEL
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Five cents, please," his front door said when he tried to open it. The toll door had an innate stubborness to it... UBIK
mbmbmbmbmb
While not on expert on the game, I enjoy Carolus Magnus. I agree with Andrew's comment and have this to add. Since the original colors you get are random, and there is no reason to favor one color over the other besides control, make sure to use whatever colors you get at the beginning to good use. Watch what others have in their courts closely; it is better to go after colors that others do not have for control, and take colors they have only as a defensive move (in games with five players this can be a devastating move; you can either take control [due to lack of cubes in the color in pool], or permanently leave a stalemate in that color).

Use your choice of turn marker to position yourself to take control of territories. Since you move your pawn up to the number you play, make sure you can get to the area you want to land on with the number you play! Going first is only advantageous if you need only to move to the next area to accomplish your objective. Again, watch the other player's courts closely to guess what their next move might be, since if they go before you they might change the number of territories and completely ruin your plans. Don't forget to check what turn numbers the other players have already used, since this limits their choices and makes it easier to predict what they might try to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With only limited playing experience (2 plays at yucata), I'm a bit baffled about strategy in 3-player games. The best strategy seems to be: find the weakest player and mercilessly take over his territories.

Where's the fun in a game where best strategy for player #2 is going after the weak one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.