GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,502 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Jann Beckers
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just back from a skiing holiday in Austria. One evening we played a game of Nuns on the Run with 8 players, which was fun.

There was some discussion though when a novice was in line of sight of a guard. This is not "being caught" according to the rules, because the guard was still 5 spots away. But the novice player did not want to lose turns on running away and being caught after all. Instead, she just wanted to lose 1 turn going back to her cell (it was early-game so she wouldn't lose anything), so she decided voluntarily to become "caught" even without the guard being on the same spot as her.

Is this legitimate? I am sorry if this question was already asked somewhere else in this forum. There are a lot of posts about "being caught" but I did not find anything about this particular topic.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been awhile since I've played this game, but as I recall, once a novice is caught, her token is flipped to the caught side and she has to walk toward her cell. Once this route takes her out of the LOS of the guards, she flips back to the hidden side and can go where she pleases.

If that's correct, I don't understand what benefit the novice in your game would get by "losing 1 turn going back to her cell." You either run from the guard and try to get out of LOS, or you get caught and have to walk back to your cell. Either way, you're spending a turn or two getting back on the run--but by being caught you bring the guards that much closer to winning.

Does that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing in the rules that allows this, or even suggest that it is possible, so no I wouldn't say that that was a legitimate move.

And David, no, that is not correct. You are not "automatically uncaught" just because you move out of LOS. That would totally break the game in the Guards' favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Beckie wrote:

Is this legitimate?

Not at all. The example that you give illustrates the fact of being seen which is clearly different from being caught.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jann Beckers
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK thanks!

Just to make it clearer: the novice had 2 choices:
- Run away, risking of course to get caught thereafter;
- Stay where she was or even run into the guard's spot to get caught.

Either way she would spend a turn on this. And that is what she wanted to avoid. She immediately wanted to be caught so she already could start walking towards her cell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. The Novice can definitely choose to MOVE to the guard and purposefully get caught, but she cannot simply declare herself caught if she's not occupying the same space as the guard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.