GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,433 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: VOTE - Should Upper Deck reprint Legendary to improve the cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dom
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the latest A.L.E.R.T spoiler: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/925867/a-l-e-r-t-anyone-want...
it has been announced that there will be 4 unique pieces of art per hero - this will leave the original set of heroes with only 1 art piece and will not match the later expansions. The other issue is that in the original set the title font on the cards does not have enough contrast and some fans believe this could be improved. To put this to a vote I have created a simple poll to get some community thoughts on the topic.

http://obsurvey.com/S2.aspx?id=88c00a0c-9015-4700-bbbb-68936...
(one vote per computer)

Results: http://obsurvey.com/r.aspx?id=88C00A0C-9015-4700-BBBB-68936B...

Example of a very difficult to read card title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sexton
United States
Pikeville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one will be extremely pissed if I have spent $55 on a game and another $15 to sleeve it and I have to buy a whole new set just to make it not look horrible together.

I think switching to multiple art is kind of undesirable to flow with the base game anyway. But completely having to release a new set to match everything is way too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the titles get a solid background and the fade at the bottoms get clipped; I'm so in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All they need to do is make the text white, give it a bigger border / drop shadow, and increase the font size and I'd be sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted but I'd recommend redoing this with a BBG poll. I'm sure you'll get more folks to jump in that way, plus it shows the results rather than privately capturing them.

My vote is that I'd rather see the game improve as it goes on and this includes legibility. In this game, more than most, it makes no difference if the cards don't match as they are always in sets.

For example, if a new hero has more character art then it's just within that hero st and doesn't negatively effect another hero. If a henchman group is more legible, then again it's consistant with that henchmen group so it works.

Changing out the icons would be a bad call as that's an element that carries over from set to set, but improving the font on individual sets, increasing text size even, is all fine and dandy by me.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, neither the font, nor the size is an issue. The problem with the base cards is the contrast, because a light font will never show well over a light background -regardless of size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you need to add another option:

No - this is such a trivial issue that in no way affects my enjoyment of the game, so I don't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for improving the game in future editions, but adding more art is really going to come across as a money grab when there was enormous complaint feedback well before release that people thought there should be more than one piece of art per character. Overall, it will be hard for this not to come across as a "screw you" to the people who bought already.

And you really shouldn't do anything to change compatibility. Some of us will want to buy expansions, but not a new base set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron Haycraft

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:

No - this is such a trivial issue that in no way affects my enjoyment of the game, so I don't care.

Pretty much this. I have no idea why people complain about either of these things. Like, at all.

If they change the core set in some drastic way, I'm out. If they want to release some kind of "Base Cards" set like Dominion did with reworked images, fine, but if a totally new base game set is released, theres no way I will (or can afford to) buy it, and I will not get any of the expansions either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no
enough characters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really never had a big beef with the same character art. If anything, it helps to differentiate between the heroes faster since I look at the pictures and not their titles anyway.

I don't like the idea that expansion are may be different and thus throw off the continuity of the base set, but it's livable. I definitely would not buy a whole new base set. Complimentary cards and some sort of replacement plan...maybe, but that's even going a tad bit too far.

All these complaints are really minor in my book and Upper Deck actually doesn't have to uphold to these complaints as it is. Now people are starting to take advantage of them and want to change the whole base concept. None of the complaints thus far as broken the game nor make me not like it as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd certainly be more likely to buy the game with different cards looking different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just like to see better card stock. My cards are falling apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, it's not a matter of "IF" they're going to release unique art for the original heroes, it's a matter of "WHEN".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use the same card stock as MTG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
τὰ ὄντα ἰέναι τε πάντα καὶ μένειν οὐδέν
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd gladly pay for another core set if all they did was change the Rogue picture so it wasn't so bizarrely hideous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:

That's not super durable card stock either. The card stock should be on par with Core Worlds. I despise card condoms but this game just about requires it sadly.

I'm still refusing though and will continue playing until my cards disintegrate (which looks to be soon, lol).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike David
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the base game NEEEEEDS to be fixed. The current art is not thematic to the mechanic of the card effect and so hampers my enjoyment of the game. Also the similar art work makes it more difficult to distinguish cards, especially when the borders are the same color as in the case of Wolverine's cards which are all instinct cards and thus all the same color. This problem is further exacerbated by the bad choice of Font and or style of the card title.

I'm not sure what the best way to fix this is.....perhaps a card replacement pack for the heroes at a discounted rate???? It wouldn't be very many cards so should not cost too much. At the very least put up the art for free for fans to print their own replacements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:

Which people put in card sleeves. I've personally always had a preference for linen card stock myself and am willing to pay extra for it. Unfortunately it's to late to go to a different card stock even if Upper Deck wanted to because then the cards wouldn't match in texture.

The card stock in Legendary isn't bad. It's not great either. It's middle of the road. The cards get a lot of handling in this game so card sleeving is a must. Anyone getting this game and deciding to not sleeve the cards is simply being foolish in my opinion because indeed the cards will wear out due to the heavy handling.

I do understand though that the most expensive part of a game is generally the cards. Legendary with 500 cards is already a $60 game. If linen stock were used we're likely talking $75 for the base set and then everyone goes "But it's just cards why is it so expensive" not understanding the economics involved.

In terms of reprinting the base set that's not practical for a number of reasons. I think a few minor tweaks on the cards to make the the title text more readable would be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magius74 wrote:
The current art is not thematic to the mechanic of the card effect and so hampers my enjoyment of the game.

Wow. I can't even come up with the words to describe how silly that sounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doobermite
United States
Chester County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Brenzor wrote:

That's not super durable card stock either. The card stock should be on par with Core Worlds. I despise card condoms but this game just about requires it sadly.

I'm still refusing though and will continue playing until my cards disintegrate (which looks to be soon, lol).

The card quality in Core Worlds is beyond excellent, from the feel to the durability. No sleeves needed even after endless shuffles. Not even a dent. All future deck builders should follow suit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:

Thought I covered that with the last option "No - game is perfect, doesn't need to be improved."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bizowikc wrote:
cheng wrote:

Thought I covered that with the last option "No - game is perfect, doesn't need to be improved."

Not really. I don't think the game is perfect. There are certainly some things that could be improved, but card art is a non-issue to me. Gameplay is the important thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
Bizowikc wrote:
cheng wrote:

Not really. I don't think the game is perfect. There are certainly some things that could be improved, but card art is a non-issue to me. Gameplay is the important thing.

Ah, I see the distinction - adding option "indifferent - card art is not an issue for me."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
---------------------
Update
There have been 49 votes and so far 63% of voters favor reprinting the base set to improve the cards - though not everybody would repurchase.

31 in favor of improvement + reprint
- of those in favor 61% (19) would repurchase base set
6 against reprinting
12 love the game art the way it is
... just added option to be indifferent about this survey (sorry about missing that initially)

Follow the results here.
http://obsurvey.com/r.aspx?id=88C00A0C-9015-4700-BBBB-68936B...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.