Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Bjerregaard Bergh
Denmark
Frederikshavn
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What the best English opening move? based og the english have the higest card..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too many variables.

You need the right card for it, but I think the best English move is playing the Sea-Move event and moving your two strongest Units in England into Angus. You can sometimes get Wallace out of your life early depending on your opponent's moves.

Apart from that, depends on which four blocks you have in England and the make-up of your hand. There is no set-piece opening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with Rick re: sea moving to Angus. That is one of the strongest opening English moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bjerregaard Bergh
Denmark
Frederikshavn
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As i read it, the english blocks already positioned in scotland at setup should not be activated.....use all energi on the four block in england to move into scotland yes?

this the best move?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Silbey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the English should try to capture both the Bruce and Galloway in the first year. Attacking the Bruce with 2-3 blocks from England would be useful.

My three goals as England in the first year are taking the southern nobels, moving Infantry into Scotland for Winter and delaying the loss of nobels in the north.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Armadi wrote:
I believe the English should try to capture both the Bruce and Galloway in the first year. Attacking the Bruce with 2-3 blocks from England would be useful.

My three goals as England in the first year are taking the southern nobels, moving Infantry into Scotland for Winter and delaying the loss of nobels in the north.

This is typically what I concentrate on pursuing in the first year. However, if I get the sea movement card that opens up the board and can put Wallace on his heels a bit.

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flannel Golem
United States
Bemidji
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to a link (http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook/hospge.htm) on the main HotS page, it would appear that most of the English players at the WBC tournament last year pursued a first-move strategy of: crush Wallace.
For this I assume they would play a 3 card to move on W in Fife while he was still surrounded by English sympathisers; yet there is only one group of two english blocks within reach, all the rest being singles, yielding a best-case of 4 English blocks to Wallace's three, which doesn't seem much better than 50-50 odds given W's first-strike defense...!
The english can juice the odds slightly in their favor by attacking with three nobles (Steward, Lennox and Menteith) and an infantry, thus firing three of their blocks (after withstanding W's initial defense) before the Scottish infantry can respond... but even so the result would seem anything but a given (then again it would probably at least cripple W from the outset, which would doubtless be good news to the English invader...!). Has anybody here ever attempted this strategy?

P.S. Interestingly also, it appears no one ever bid any points for playing the Scots, which might indicate a residual belief that play-balance still favors the English. While I don't feel that the field is particularly tilted either way, I much prefer playing the Scots...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Taylor
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
At the WBC this year, the tourney winner - George Seary - bid for the Scots in every game - including the final! - and ended up winning the tournament. George has won that tourney before, so I think it's safe to say he among the best Hammer players around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.